Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I was wonder for those that got the Apple SSD, is the boot time very fast or did you have to do a clean install for Lion to make it fast. Naturally I know it would be faster out of the box than a 5,400 or 7,200 rpm hard drive though I was just curious.

Last edited:

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
why would you need to do a clean install of lion with a stock apple ssd? i have the toshiba ssd that apple gives and my boot times are very fast...

Sasha-1

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2001
My boot time is very fast. When I bought my SSD, I just made a SuperDuper clone of the original stock install, which I added CS5.5, Quark, Office 2011 and various other apps too. Did want to reinstall everything so I just cloned it to the SSD and swapped the drives.

Boot time is similar to coming out of sleep. Don't even bother with sleep since booting cold is so fast.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
why would you need to do a clean install of lion with a stock apple ssd? i have the toshiba ssd that apple gives and my boot times are very fast...

I would not unless it made a significant difference by cleaning out some of the original included files which it doesn't so question answered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.