Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masteratadobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
Im going to be purchasing the Mac Studio M2 ultra based model, will apple accept cash as payment in the stores?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Why do you think they wouldn’t? Seems like a pain in the butt for you and they’ll most likely have to make sure your bills aren’t fake. Regardless, it literally makes no sense to pay all the money in cash and I’m not even sure a legitimate adult would ask this question ha. Use a debit/credit card like a normal person.

Hope you don’t get robbed on the way there.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I recommend calling your local Apple Store (i.e., ask them directly). That should provide a reliable answer.

FYI, this question was asked prior, although, a decade ago:

@Sheepish-Lord I am assuming you’ve never worked retail/customer service, or at least not anytime recent. Not only do I regularly see plenty of cash, I even occasionally need to process personal checks. Oh, and not simply cash, many who still regularly deal in cash also appear completely comfortable using oodles of time to dig through pockets, purses, etc to find and count change at the checkout counter. And that’s just the tiny, tippy top of the 🤦‍♂️ volcano.

Use a debit/credit card like a normal person.
• Not everyone is granted a high credit limit. I have a high credit score, regularly pay my credit cards in full (including the balance often before the statement and required due date is published), yet my Apple Card limit (applied/accepted a month ago) is $2,500 and my highest CC limit is $6,500 (it’s a card I’ve had 20+ years in good standing). The referenced Mac is $3,999.00 plus applicable sales tax.
• Credit card with high enough limit, however, you use it for other expenses and thus there’s not enough allotment for such an expense — I’ve had this happen, the only downside was needing to wait for the clearing ($0 balance) payment went through before the large value item purchase.
• Age (though I am not certain how much this is relevant) — what they said:
If you are paying cash, no minimum age requirement that I know of.

With that said...

For me, it’s rewards points/cash, free or fixed (i.e., you know the amounts and don’t need to calculate interest) payment plan options, and extended protection/warranty.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I recommend calling your local Apple Store (i.e., ask them directly). That should provide a reliable answer.

FYI, this question was asked prior, although, a decade ago:

@Sheepish-Lord I am assuming you’ve never worked retail/customer service, or at least not anytime recent. Not only do I regularly see plenty of cash, I even occasionally need to process personal checks. Oh, and not simply cash, many who still regularly deal in cash also appear completely comfortable using oodles of time to dig through pockets, purses, etc to find and count change at the checkout counter. And that’s just the tiny, tippy top of the 🤦‍♂️ volcano.

• Not everyone is granted a high credit limit. I have a high credit score, regularly pay my credit cards in full (including the balance often before the statement and required due date is published), yet my Apple Card limit (applied/accepted a month ago) is $2,500 and my highest CC limit is $6,500 (it’s a card I’ve had 20+ years in good standing). The referenced Mac is $3,999.00 plus applicable sales tax.
• Credit card with high enough limit, however, you use it for other expenses and thus there’s not enough allotment for such an expense — I’ve had this happen, the only downside was needing to wait for the clearing ($0 balance) payment went through before the large value item purchase.
• Age (though I am not certain how much this is relevant) — what they said:

With that said...

For me, it’s rewards points/cash, free or fixed (i.e., you know the amounts and don’t need to calculate interest) payment plan options, and extended protection/warranty.
My responses were directly to the fact that this a $4K machine.

- I highly doubt anyone is bringing $4K in cash to any store regardless. Unless you don’t have a checking or savings account the simple act of withdrawing that amount of money from a bank and carrying it around would be silly.

- You don’t need a credit card just use the debit card associated with your checking account.

- I brought up age because if you’re asking this kind of question and have $4K cash to blow on a computer I assume the OP would have basic life experience. Literally no reason to do this.

Reactions: RUQRU

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
- I highly doubt anyone is bringing $4K in cash to any store regardless. Unless you don’t have a checking or savings account the simple act of withdrawing that amount of money from a bank and carrying it around would be silly.
You may :rolleyes:/🤦‍♂️ and I am guessing you’d be surprised at the amount of people carrying around and paying with $100 bills, even on <$10 transactions — by the way, it is annoying as the cashier.

While not an identical situation, coincidentally yesterday someone came in to do a Western Union transfer, paid $4,400 in $100 bills, which he had in a bank issued envelope. And WU does allow debit card payments — yet this guy chose to do a wad of cash. Just saying, that’s reality.

Maybe I can blow your mind further: on average, I probably deal with at least one person going to the in-store ATM, then bring the cash to me to (re)load a card (e.g., Cash App, Chime, PayPal).

- You don’t need a credit card just use the debit card associated with your checking account.
Yeah… I’ll just say, “The struggle (of change) is real.” ☺️

Masteratadobe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2023
My responses were directly to the fact that this a $4K machine.

- I brought up age because if you’re asking this kind of question and have $4K cash to blow on a computer I assume the OP would have basic life experience. Literally no reason to do this.
I purchased it last Friday with cash. It all worked out well

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Tying-in to this idea...

I've purchased at an Apple Store in-person, with decent cash-money.

Is there a way to purchase a Unit (in my case, a beefy Mac Studio) from apple.com with initial cash *and* leverage the remainder with my Apple Card?

I can do this in-store, but--for the life of me--this does not seem to be an option Online?

Does anyone know how to make it possible?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Tying-in to this idea...

I've purchased at an Apple Store in-person, with decent cash-money.

Is there a way to purchase a Unit (in my case, a beefy Mac Studio) from apple.com with initial cash *and* leverage the remainder with my Apple Card?

I can do this in-store, but--for the life of me--this does not seem to be an option Online?

Does anyone know how to make it possible?
Not sure how you "pay cash" for an online transaction... to whom do you hand the cash?

Reactions: splifingate

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to pay in cash. Maybe privately the cashier might think it odd. But money is money. Me personally I wouldn't be comfortable carrying around that much cash. If you don't have enough credit, you can use debit card. Or cashiers check. Either way cash should be accepted.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Not sure how you "pay cash" for an online transaction... to whom do you hand the cash?

ha ;)

I unintentionally transmogrified "monies-on-hand" into "paper-cash" 🤷‍♂️

What I really meant to query is "Is it possible to apply a direct down-payment, and pay the remainder on Apple Card credit via apple.com?"

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I would hope so and I support your decision to do this with cash money like you’re bringing back the nine nine and the two-thousands. 😎

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Yeah . . . I like the idea of the Apple online Store, but I may just take Masteratabobe's lead and let the deal go-down at an AAPL Brick&Mortar.

In-Store Service Reps have never failed to facilitate my bespoke purchasing goals ;)

Might even be fun to get some Mafia vibes out of the transaction....

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Yeah man anytime I’ve ever bought anything Apple that’s not just an accessory or a phone I always go to Best Buy or Apple Store and I always use straight cash. Whenever I replace my computer in a few years I’ll show up with a wad of cash again as well. It’s really odd to me when people think YOU are the weird one for wanting to pay a way that isn’t actually weird. I guess maybe if you‘re living somewhere where theft is common it would make sense to have that mindset? 🤷‍♂️

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I've always purchased from a brick&mortar Apple Store.

Sometimes with full-payment; sometimes on Terms.

One can always be faced with the potential loss of cash on-hand.

The fact that those of us with (for-example) an Apple Card can leverage our purchases--interest-free--over many months represents a value that supersedes cash-on-hand.

I could walk-into a local Store with a wad of paper bills, and can definitely walk-away with *any* Product.

The ability to term-distribute my cash holds more value--to me--than blowing my wad, all at once ;)

My liquid cash holds more value in the immediate, than it does directly in the hands of AAPL (the holdings of which would definitely not blush, when talking about a USD4K investment).

It makes real sense, to me, that I might apply a cash-on-hand (paper/debit/etc.) down-payment that reduces my month-to-month payment to a budgetary balance that supports my impending needs.

Certainly, we're not all millionaires . . . a Mac Studio is not just equivalent to a cup of coffee, right?!?

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
It's the potential for robbery that would put me off!

That really is far too much cash to be carrying around and risking losing…

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
So; it's so.

Visited two Stores, today (Perimeter and Cumberland (ATL)).

Verified that it is *not* possible to apply a down-/pre-payment (cash, debit, credit, et al.), and put the remainder of the Purchase to the Apple Card when selecting 0%/12mo Apple Card Monthly Installments.

They were surprised with the idea, but would have definitely accepted (paper) cash, if I had offered such ;)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It’s really odd to me when people think YOU are the weird one for wanting to pay a way that isn’t actually weird.

Maybe not weird but annoying waiting for what it seems like hours while someone pulls out the bills and search their coin purse for the exact change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.