Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Got my MacBook Pro (15-inch, late2016) couple of months ago. Everything went while, except that I feel the foot stands of my MBP are not on the same height level... When I press the lower left corner of my MBP, I could feel a ignorable gap between the foot stand and the table...

So I sent my MBP to the Genius Bar at Apple Store Hong Kong Plaza (Shanghai). The staff checked my MBP, he verified the problem and found out that it lacks one little screw on the bottom case. The clearance may be caused by that. The staff told me not to worry about that, the problem could be fixed in 2 days. They would try to add a new screw and adjust the four foot stands.

Two days after, just now, they gave me a phone call and told me that, they are sorry for having damaged my MBP!!! The staff told me that when the engineer was repairing the machine, he accidentally touched the mainboard, and unfortunately, damaged it....... I was told that, as my MBP is a custom version, they don't have it in stock, so they need to send my MBP to the factory and send a new one to the store...... This would take about 2~4 weeks....... Oh my god... I was hoping to start my thesis in a few days, but now... I asked if they could provide a backup machine when I wait for my MBP, they told me that they only provide backup machines for iPhone issues... I will heavily rely on my iPad Pro in the next couple of weeks... Our university only provide windows machines in the library... I'm so desperate now...

Hopefully they will send me the new machine using just 2 weeks...

Anyone had a similar experience before? I'm so dissatisfied with the fact that they cannot provide a backup machine...

Last edited:

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
I do feel sorry for you, that's not good.
But everything can happen and they will replace your machine.

I'm sure if you ask them to replace it with an other one in the store and that you will get cash to cover the cost up to your machine they I'll fix that.
BTO machine are a risk when it come to this.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
I do feel sorry for you, that's not good.
But everything can happen and they will replace your machine.

I'm sure if you ask them to replace it with an other one in the store and that you will get cash to cover the cost up to your machine they I'll fix that.
BTO machine are a risk when it come to this.

The staff told me that they cannot replace with a different model : (

Queen6

macrumors G4
Apple will likely prioritise as they created the issue, I would also try to elevate to management as the issue is directly affecting you. Take advantage of the university's facilities as text is text, admittedly the input varies from OS to OS. You could pick up a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad as that would help, however writing serious documents on a mobile can be a challenge.

On a side note this is exactly why I only purchase what the stores offer, in time the larger ones will also offer the higher spec BTO's my local store in shenzhen does this.

Q-6

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
What is the return policy? If you have the means (perhaps a credit card), and the return period is two weeks, you could purchase another MBP, use it while your machine is being repaired, and then return it for a full refund before the two weeks has passed. It seems appropriate under the circumstances.

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
What is the return policy? If you have the means (perhaps a credit card), and the return period is two weeks, you could purchase another MBP, use it while your machine is being repaired, and then return it for a full refund before the two weeks has passed. It seems appropriate under the circumstances.

Good idea, i will try that

Reactions: Sanpete

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
by a macbook......you have 14 days....return it.....youll have ur macbook by then

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Got my MacBook Pro (15-inch, late2016) couple of months ago. Everything went while, except that I feel the foot stands of my MBP are not on the same height level... When I press the lower left corner of my MBP, I could feel a ignorable gap between the foot stand and the table...

So I sent my MBP to the Genius Bar at Apple Store Hong Kong Plaza (Shanghai). The staff checked my MBP, he verified the problem and found out that it lacks one little screw on the bottom case. The clearance may be caused by that. The staff told me not to worry about that, the problem could be fixed in 2 days. They would try to add a new screw and adjust the four foot stands.

Two days after, just now, they gave me a phone call and told me that, they are sorry for having damaged my MBP!!! The staff told me that when the engineer was repairing the machine, he accidentally touched the mainboard, and unfortunately, damaged it....... I was told that, as my MBP is a custom version, they don't have it in stock, so they need to send my MBP to the factory and send a new one to the store...... This would take about 2~4 weeks....... Oh my god... I was hoping to start my thesis in a few days, but now... I asked if they could provide a backup machine when I wait for my MBP, they told me that they only provide backup machines for iPhone issues... I will heavily rely on my iPad Pro in the next couple of weeks... Our university only provide windows machines in the library... I'm so desperate now...

Hopefully they will send me the new machine using just 2 weeks...

Anyone had a similar experience before? I'm so dissatisfied with the fact that they cannot provide a backup machine...

BRUH....there's people out there with real problems. Not having your computer for a month isn't like some of the others people face. My guess is you'll be fine. Just calm down.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
BRUH....there's people out there with real problems. Not having your computer for a month isn't like some of the others people face. My guess is you'll be fine. Just calm down.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but I find this outlook particularly out of order. It's not like the O/P is missing playing Angry birds or something. . . He bought the machine to do schoolwork, he has a HUGE project he needs to work on. He takes his machine back for a cosmetic issue [unbalanced chassis] and they fry the mainboard (someone needs to explain to me how adjusting a screw on the outside of the case can cause logic board failure. It's not like they had to open the thing up while they were on carpet in 20 degree weather in ultra dry rooms full of balloons rubbing on walls)

So now through no fault of his own, he has to wait several weeks for the manufacturer to rectify THEIR screwup, and they can't be bothered to even offer SOME kind of alternative option outside of "too bad so sad"?

This is a legitimate complaint, not some first world nitpick. as for problems "other people face". . those problems belong to other people, on other forums. If you're so concerned, perhaps you should frequent those other forums and try to offer assistance to said people with said problems instead of floating around here being so absolutely unproductive.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Good idea, i will try that

I had a similar issue, they needed to replace my BTO. But they gave me two options, either wait the two weeks for it to be built and shipped to the store, or or they would treat it as a return and replace with the closest comparable model so that I could have a computer that day, and then return that when mine arrived. Guess it depends on the stock of the store, and how the genius/manager is feeling that day. My store didn't have close in stock, so they upgraded mine for free. I got very lucky, but only apple takes care of customers like that.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I have to treat my iPad Pro as a computer now :( That's what Tim Cook might hope to see
maybe frying the motherboard is tom cook's new strategy to convert people to Ipad Pro only devices to promote his vision

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
You know, it'd almost work. . if only the stupid thing had MOUSE support! As a tablet it's great, but a keyboard is neutered without a mouse riding side-car.

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
Talk about an unfortunate ordeal.. I would be fuming, especially if I had a major project or deadline to meet. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Reactions: puckhead193

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
Many thanks to you guys' advice and support. I contacted the store again, They told me that they would work out a solution and call me back in 2 days. Waiting.......

Meanwhile, I checked the availability of my model on Apple's website. It would only take 3~5 days to ship my model. So I really don't understand why it needs 2~4 weeks to replace my model via the store...
[doublepost=1487651903][/doublepost]The genius told me more about my issue: it's not only the problem of a screw, but the screw-bolt on the bottom case is loose. So they need to replace the bottom case. Unfortunately, the engineer damaged a flat cable attached to the main board when replacing the bottom case : (

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Probably because they have to get the defective unit back, process it, THEN BTO your new one and ship.

As for the technician that damaged the cable, I say we downgrade him from genius to "genius".

See, the quotes symbolize SARCASM /evil laugh...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This is a good case study for an iPad Pro being a computer replacement .

I'm sure apple will get you a replacement sooner .

Can I ask though, why do you need a mac to do your thesis? Why can a windows machine not suffice in the meantime? I'm genuinely curious.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Normally I wouldn't say anything, but I find this outlook particularly out of order. It's not like the O/P is missing playing Angry birds or something. . . He bought the machine to do schoolwork, he has a HUGE project he needs to work on. He takes his machine back for a cosmetic issue [unbalanced chassis] and they fry the mainboard (someone needs to explain to me how adjusting a screw on the outside of the case can cause logic board failure. It's not like they had to open the thing up while they were on carpet in 20 degree weather in ultra dry rooms full of balloons rubbing on walls)

So now through no fault of his own, he has to wait several weeks for the manufacturer to rectify THEIR screwup, and they can't be bothered to even offer SOME kind of alternative option outside of "too bad so sad"?

This is a legitimate complaint, not some first world nitpick. as for problems "other people face". . those problems belong to other people, on other forums. If you're so concerned, perhaps you should frequent those other forums and try to offer assistance to said people with said problems instead of floating around here being so absolutely unproductive.

I agree, I think apple should give a replacement. And yeah he should complain. My point was is that there's worse out there so try not to stress if possible...

Queen6

macrumors G4
I agree, I think apple should give a replacement. And yeah he should complain. My point was is that there's worse out there so try not to stress if possible...

Tend to agree Apple should provide an interim replacement, as the OP's MBP was damaged due to Apple's technicians incompetence/lack of training, so therefore why should the customer be inconvenienced.

Q-6

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Okay say your MBP got fried by an Apple employee because they didn't know what they were doing and you were out of a computer that you desperately needed for 2-4 weeks AND you had schoolwork you were trying to complete for the semester. Would it then be a "real problem" then?

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Obargy, I hope this works out for you and they get this fixed fast. Have you considered sending Apple (corporate) Customer Relations an email or call detailing your experience? Between you being affected first by a quality control failure, and then by a failure in repair competency, and finally by an inability to accommodate your needs (due to two consecutive failures on Apple's behalf), the only logical conclusion here is that this is not fair to you. I believe if you contact Apple Corporate that they will make this right and go to great lengths to fix this immediately, and not in several days or several weeks.

Reactions: obargy and Queen6

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Tend to agree Apple should provide an interim replacement, as the OP's MBP was damaged due to Apple's technicians incompetence/lack of training, so therefore why should the customer be inconvenienced.

Q-6

Yeah it doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest IMO but just something that works. Internet, pages, maybe a calculator or something. Just something to get going.
[doublepost=1487721626][/doublepost]
Okay say your MBP got fried by an Apple employee because they didn't know what they were doing and you were out of a computer that you desperately needed for 2-4 weeks AND you had schoolwork you were trying to complete for the semester. Would it then be a "real problem" then?

No I agree it is a problem. I think Apple should give a replacement even it just does the basics like internet and pages. But what I'm saying is I wouldn't stress out too much bc id try to think of others problems in the third world. This is more of a first world like I'm still getting at least two meals today thank God lol

Reactions: Queen6

obargy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2016
🇨🇦
This is a good case study for an iPad Pro being a computer replacement .

I'm sure apple will get you a replacement sooner .

Can I ask though, why do you need a mac to do your thesis? Why can a windows machine not suffice in the meantime? I'm genuinely curious.

Hey, it seems that EndNote for iPad works very well now haha.

I am used to do staff in Apple's eco system. All my commonly used documents are store in iCloud Drive. So it's more convenient for me to work with a Mac.
I have the entire backup of my Mac system on my LaCie. Given whatever a Mac model, I can easily restore all my docs and apps then get to my work. As for windows, I need to install all the professional apps I use... Some need educational activations etc... It's a little more work for me...

Further more, the PCs in the library, they automatic delete any personal data when you log out the computer... I have to keep another hard disk if I use that...

So for these 2 weeks, I will just browse essays using EndNote on my iPad Pro. Luckily, I get the whole package of iPad Pro (Pencil + Smart Keyboard). Hahaha
[doublepost=1487738145][/doublepost]
Obargy, I hope this works out for you and they get this fixed fast. Have you considered sending Apple (corporate) Customer Relations an email or call detailing your experience? Between you being affected first by a quality control failure, and then by a failure in repair competency, and finally by an inability to accommodate your needs (due to two consecutive failures on Apple's behalf), the only logical conclusion here is that this is not fair to you. I believe if you contact Apple Corporate that they will make this right and go to great lengths to fix this immediately, and not in several days or several weeks.

I have thought about that. But I just don't know where I could send an e-mail. I visited there website https://ssl.apple.com/contact/. Should I send a "Product Feedback"?
[doublepost=1487739773][/doublepost]Hey guys,

Again, many thanks for your suggestion.

I passed by Apple Store Hong Kong Plaza last night, so I walked in to ask if I could just buy a new one and return it after 14 days, as many of you were talking about this possibility. The staff first appreciated about my honesty for telling him my real intends. But he strongly advised me not to do that. He said that it's not good for the environment and they need to return a Mac without any problems... It just doesn't feel right. I am kind of agreed with him... So I thanked him and walked upstairs to ask a staff in Genius Bar for help.

The staff reached the Support Manager to help me. He said that he knows about my issue, it is a very special case. They tried to request an alternative machine for me during these weeks, but there isn't any in all the Apple Stores in Shanghai. Then he told me that, my MacBook Pro will be firstly sent to AppleCare department, then the AppleCare department approve the replacement and place an order in the factory, finally the factory will ship the all-new machine to the store.

The Support Manager offered me another choice: Since it was night, my MBP won't be shipped until the next morning at 5:00. I still have the chance to decide to just repair the mainboard. During these days, they have ordered a mainboard which could be replaced for my machine. And the repair could be finished in just one day. After that, I could get my previous MBP back for use.

It's a little hard to decide. The Support Manager told me that, he would choose to get an all-new one. Since my MBP have been repaired too many times, it's not very satisfied to get the old one back.

Finally, I chose to get the new one. I asked him if I could just buy a new one for temporary use and then return it in 14 days. He said that he need to consult the Sales Manager. After a while, he came back and told me that, the Sales Manager's response is very interesting: "If you tell me that you will return it when you buy the Mac, I will be so sad. But if you buy the Mac without telling me the truth, I will just help you get the new one." So this solution is just not perfect. It's like playing a trick about Apple's sales policy. And it has nothing to do with the customer support department, so finally I gave up in this way.

PS. Do you guys know to whom in Apple I could write all my experiences? I visited this website https://ssl.apple.com/contact/. But I didn't find any possible ways to complain about my experience. Perhaps the closet choice is "Product Feedback"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.