Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
Curious if anyone knows whether or not the Apple Stores are on a set restocking schedule for the new MacBook Pro's. I have one I ordered on day 1 (late in the day unfortunately) that is slated for delivery at the end of the month, however I now want to increase the storage option I originally chose and Apple is unwilling to modify my order and keep my original delivery date (and I'm unwilling to wait an additional month at this point). Anyhow, the configuration I want is the one custom configuration they offer at the Apple Store (16" M1 Max / 64gb / 4TB) so I am hoping to be able to snag one in store and cancel my existing order.

When I first started checking local stores on Friday of last week, a few stores had base model 14" and 16" available but quickly disappeared over the weekend. I've been checking a few times a day since the weekend and it doesn't appear they've had any inventory replenishment of any versions of the new MacBooks. Do the stores receive them and add them to inventory at random, or do they do a "timed inventory release" on a certain day at a certain time? Just trying to increase my odds of getting an in-store pickup order placed as soon as one becomes available.

Appreciate the help / info.

clarencek

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
AFAIK there’s no regular schedule. And each store updates stock at different times.

Some times when you check at 8 am ET when staff gets into the store and goes through inventory you will see the sites update with in store pickup.
But I’ve also seen updates at 4 am, 12 pm, 4 pm etc. it’s just whenever they get to it and update their systems.

Add to that, sometimes at least here in NYC you can get lucky and walk in and they’ll have something that’s no reflected online for pick up.

I’ve been checking regularly and the 16 Max stock config is almost always unavailable. Even the other stock configs sell out almost instantly here in NYC… and there are 10 stores in the area.

Keep your online order and keep checking but it’s going to be pretty hard to pick one up outside of the normal order / ship process.

Reactions: 10 Gauge

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
AFAIK there’s no regular schedule. And each store updates stock at different times.

Some times when you check at 8 am ET when staff gets into the store and goes through inventory you will see the sites update with in store pickup.
But I’ve also seen updates at 4 am, 12 pm, 4 pm etc. it’s just whenever they get to it and update their systems.

Add to that, sometimes at least here in NYC you can get lucky and walk in and they’ll have something that’s no reflected online for pick up.

I’ve been checking regularly and the 16 Max stock config is almost always unavailable. Even the other stock configs sell out almost instantly here in NYC… and there are 10 stores in the area.

Keep your online order and keep checking but it’s going to be pretty hard to pick one up outside of the normal order / ship process.
Thanks!

Desperate times call for desperate measures. ?

Inked2021-11-11 13_41_31-Windows PowerShell_LI.jpg

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Curious if anyone knows whether or not the Apple Stores are on a set restocking schedule for the new MacBook Pro's. I have one I ordered on day 1 (late in the day unfortunately) that is slated for delivery at the end of the month, however I now want to increase the storage option I originally chose and Apple is unwilling to modify my order and keep my original delivery date (and I'm unwilling to wait an additional month at this point). Anyhow, the configuration I want is the one custom configuration they offer at the Apple Store (16" M1 Max / 64gb / 4TB) so I am hoping to be able to snag one in store and cancel my existing order.

When I first started checking local stores on Friday of last week, a few stores had base model 14" and 16" available but quickly disappeared over the weekend. I've been checking a few times a day since the weekend and it doesn't appear they've had any inventory replenishment of any versions of the new MacBooks. Do the stores receive them and add them to inventory at random, or do they do a "timed inventory release" on a certain day at a certain time? Just trying to increase my odds of getting an in-store pickup order placed as soon as one becomes available.

Appreciate the help / info.
That's the same configuration I originally ordered (same as you, on day 1 but late in the day). And my order has supposedly just finally shipped as of today. Apple says I'll get it by next Friday but UPS currently shows next Monday. (If it's like my iPhone order experience recently, UPS's estimate is less accurate than Apple's guess!)

Anyway, my guess is - this config is in pretty short supply, but maybe some stores will get a few that went out in the same batch mine shipped out in today?

As a side note? I'm a little surprised how many people didn't order this configuration -- instead, opting for an M1 Max but with only 32GB or a 2TB SSD. These are clearly "media creation/editing" devices so drive storage is pretty important. I would have gone 8TB for something like this, personally, except the price premium is just TOO great. So 4TB it was for me. And as costly as these are, and non-upgradeable, I just couldn't see why you wouldn't pay the extra $400 to double the RAM to 64GB?

Reactions: 10 Gauge

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
That's the same configuration I originally ordered (same as you, on day 1 but late in the day). And my order has supposedly just finally shipped as of today. Apple says I'll get it by next Friday but UPS currently shows next Monday. (If it's like my iPhone order experience recently, UPS's estimate is less accurate than Apple's guess!)

Anyway, my guess is - this config is in pretty short supply, but maybe some stores will get a few that went out in the same batch mine shipped out in today?

As a side note? I'm a little surprised how many people didn't order this configuration -- instead, opting for an M1 Max but with only 32GB or a 2TB SSD. These are clearly "media creation/editing" devices so drive storage is pretty important. I would have gone 8TB for something like this, personally, except the price premium is just TOO great. So 4TB it was for me. And as costly as these are, and non-upgradeable, I just couldn't see why you wouldn't pay the extra $400 to double the RAM to 64GB?
Yeah I definitely knew I wanted 64gb, I work with large composite raw photo's and I think it will benefit with multiple workflows. I typically run everything off of my NAS but after thinking more and more about it, I just felt like I wanted to have a little extra head room with onboard storage. Wish I would have had that thought the day I ordered.

Hope you enjoy the new rig, can't wait to finally get my hands on one!

P.S. Did yours ship before Apples estimated time frame?

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Yeah I definitely knew I wanted 64gb, I work with large composite raw photo's and I think it will benefit with multiple workflows. I typically run everything off of my NAS but after thinking more and more about it, I just felt like I wanted to have a little extra head room with onboard storage. Wish I would have had that thought the day I ordered.

Hope you enjoy the new rig, can't wait to finally get my hands on one!

P.S. Did yours ship before Apples estimated time frame?
No.... in fact, Apple readjusted the estimated time to ship, moving it a couple of days later than the original estimate. But it finally did ship on that re-adjusted date.

I just checked and it's moving from place to place in China right now, so it does appear it might arrive early next week after all. Hope so!

10 Gauge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2020
Do any Apple Stores ever have stock of an item that don't list online as available? Such as a "walk-in only" type of inventory? So perhaps if I popped in to a store that doesn't show something available online, but there's a chance they may still have one in stock. I seem to recall a few instances of people posting about how they went to a store and found something in stock that didn't show as available online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.