Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starwager19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
I've been on IUP for years but this is my first year choosing in-store pickup. It didn't occur to me that I would have to hand over the old phone immediately if I pick up in store.

How does the data transfer work in this situation? Do they just make me restore from iCloud and get out of the way, or is there some way to do device-to-device transfer? Do they even let me stay there and use both phones to get initially logged in (since I'll need the old phone for 2-step verification, etc.)?

I hate doing iCloud restore because it takes days for my stuff to finish loading (at least last time I tried that method). And I'm going be out and about today, away from wifi, so it's going to make zero progress.

I'm assuming there's no way to either convince them to let me take both phones home for a few days, or cancel this order and switch to shipped without going to the end of the line and getting it in November at this point...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I haven't done IUP, but when doing regular trade-in, we get to take both phones home, set up the new one and make sure everything is working and you like the new one. You have to bring in the old one by the end of the return period for the new one.

starwager19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
Oh, interesting. That's the first I've heard of that, but if true, it would be awesome. What I read implied that I have to return it immediately.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
They didn't even ask for my phone during my IUP in store pickup today. When I offered to turn my phone in, they told me I would receive a box in the mail. This is very different than in past years where I was asked to turn in my old iPhone before I left the store.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Standing in line now. Will find out soon. I prefer device to device transfer as well and was frustrated I could not get a phone shipped on launch day by the time the IUP started working on pre-order day.

Side note, what would normally be a quiet morning at a SLC mall is a crazy convergence of geek and nerd culture with FanX in full swing. (Like comic-con)

It’s like a 2-way zoo with weirdos just staring at one another.

starwager19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
When I picked mine up they did ask for the phone back but said I can return it within 14 days (as others here mentioned) if I didn’t want to hand it over then. No option for mailing it back which is fine with me but weird that @parkds had a different experience.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
They didn't even ask for my phone during my IUP in store pickup today. When I offered to turn my phone in, they told me I would receive a box in the mail. This is very different than in past years where I was asked to turn in my old iPhone before I left the store.
That’s unusual. I’d ask the atore manager in regards to this if you can. Iup in store pick up must be traded in at the store not being mailed.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
That’s unusual. I’d ask the atore manager in regards to this if you can. Iup in store pick up must be traded in at the store not being mailed.
That has always been my experience. annoyed I have to waste time going back. They also borked my wife’s pickup and took her old phone without activating her new one. ATT will only activate the new phone via a text to the old device…so been stuck on hold with ATT trying resolve Apple’s mistake. Annoying since this was a flagship store!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.