Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
For the 7,1 Mac Pro is the storage all configured with the T2 security? For example, if you order the system with 1TB, I can see where the storage is configured with T2. However, if you order it with 4TB, is it the same? Can you just have the 1TB with the T2 security?

What I'm looking at doing is partitioning 2TB for the operating system/other programs and using the other 2TB to work on projects before migrating them to an HDD.

Regards.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
For the 7,1 Mac Pro is the storage all configured with the T2 security? For example, if you order the system with 1TB, I can see where the storage is configured with T2. However, if you order it with 4TB, is it the same? Can you just have the 1TB with the T2 security?

What I'm looking at doing is partitioning 2TB for the operating system/other programs and using the other 2TB to work on projects before migrating them to an HDD.

Regards.
It's an all or none situation, even partitioning the T2 storage. The best approach is to use PCIe storage for other OS.

Anyway, T2 security won't get in your way if you partition the T2 Storage and create a scratch disk. I wouldn't do it for cost and longevity issues, but you can do it.

Reactions: Average Pro

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Thank you. I'd like to address cost and please be patient as I'm in the learning phase.
If I purchase four 1TB SSD 970 Pro and a Sonnet M.2 4X4 Silent PCIe Card the total comes to $1,799.95. If I configure the Mac Pro with 4TB, the cost is $1,260. I am not interested in RAID 0.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you. I'd like to address cost and please be patient as I'm in the learning phase.
If I purchase four 1TB SSD 970 Pro and a Sonnet M.2 4X4 Silent PCIe Card the total comes to $1,799.95. If I configure the Mac Pro with 4TB, the cost is $1,260. I am not interested in RAID 0.
Using the T2 storage for a scratch disk is not a good way to have longevity and if you have any problems after the warranty expired, you will cover the cost of it. Remember that you can't boot a Mac Pro without the T2 Storage working, the firmware is stored on the NAND modules too.

Scratch disks are disposable in the long run, don't use T2 for it. Another factor, if you have a problem with a PCIe scratch disk that needs replacement, you buy one from your liking on Amazon and your Mac Pro will continue to work and the new blade will arrive next day, while replacing a T2 Storage you are locked to Apple and will have a downtime of several days.

Most people buy a decent amount of T2 Storage and then use PCIe storage for scratch/libraries/etc. You can use Samsung 970 EVO+ blades that are lot cheaper, have decent longevity and even have 2TB models, or even wait a little and get decent 4TB non-QLC blades that are arriving any day now. You don't even need to go for a PCIe switched adapter, it's not like that you have used all 2019 Mac Pro PCIe slots.

Last edited:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Tsialix,

Thank you for the input. I've read several of the forum posts on this subject. The initial impression was how Apple's storage was a rip off and so much slower. However, as I look closer, I feel the statements are considerably exaggerated as I've demonstrated with the pricing above. Again, I am still learning and open to pursing the Sonnet/Samsung route.

WARRANTY:
Apple - 2 year (w/ purchase of extended warranty)
EVO+ - 5 year
970 Pro - 5 year

EVO+: The little research I've conducted indicates there's a considerable quality difference between the 970 Pro and EVO+. Specifically that the EVO+ is an inferior product and in some cases recommend avoiding it. You make a good point that if my intention is to utilize the SSDs as a temporary holding spot, then the EVO+ might be the way to go. The EVO+ configuration (card plus 4TB) costs $1,079.95. For me, the extra $700 is negligible.

Prices: So the pricing summary is as follows for 4TB:
Apple - $1,260
EVO+ - $1,079
970 Pro - $1,799

Speed: Several of the post on this forum reference RAID0 stats. I need to find a 1-to-1 comparison between the 970 Pro and Apple storage. If you can provide a link and/or input, I would be most grateful.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Tsialix,

Thank you for the input. I've read several of the forum posts on this subject. The initial impression was how Apple's storage was a rip off and so much slower. However, as I look closer, I feel the statements are considerably exaggerated as I've demonstrated with the pricing above. Again, I am still learning and open to pursing the Sonnet/Samsung route.

WARRANTY:
Apple - 2 year (w/ purchase of extended warranty)
EVO+ - 5 year
970 Pro - 5 year

EVO+: The little research I've conducted indicates there's a considerable quality difference between the 970 Pro and EVO+. Specifically that the EVO+ is an inferior product and in some cases recommend avoiding it. You make a good point that if my intention is to utilize the SSDs as a temporary holding spot, then the EVO+ might be the way to go. The EVO+ configuration (card plus 4TB) costs $1,079.95. For me, the extra $700 is negligible.

Prices: So the pricing summary is as follows for 4TB:
Apple - $1,260
EVO+ - $1,079
970 Pro - $1,799

Speed: Several of the post on this forum reference RAID0 stats. I need to find a 1-to-1 comparison between the 970 Pro and Apple storage. If you can provide a link and/or input, I would be most grateful.
I'm answering this from my phone and searching is dreadful on mobile, you probably will find easier than me. From memory, T2 Storage for storage space bigger than 512MB have less total bandwidth available but it's a lot better at several 4K metrics and most of the time you are bound by the 4K disk access, not by the total available bandwidth.

Even if price is not a factor, the main point that you have to think is longevity/service downtime - SSDs fail and fail at the worst times. Btw, since you don't have interest in an array, no need to buy a PCIe switched card, you can buy two 2TB EVO+ and two AquaComputer kryoM.2 of the standard model (~$30 each) and have the same 4TB of storage available, more in reality since T2 will be for the OS/apps.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I bought my 7,1 with 1TB. I should have ordered it with the stock SSD. I have left the Apple supplied T2 SSD as shipped and don't use it except as an emergency startup. I have an additional nine SSDs installed. Six are on two PCIe cards (two 970 Pros and four 970 Evos) and three 2½" Samsung SSDs in a Sonnet J3i.

Lou

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020

Regards.

You don't need to partition with APFS, you can just create a volume if you need logical separation. The volume will automatically scale with the data size, so you don't need to explicitly carve out a 2TB 'space'

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Mr. T
Thanks for the kryoM.2 recommendation. The reason I'm looking at the M.2 4X4 is because of quality and space. One card slot as opposed to two. What is your opinion on quality and reliability when comparing the EVO+ to the 970 Pro?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
EVO+ to the 970 Pro?
It's reliable enough that will probably be absolutely fine when you'll need more storage space, it's the main high end consumer M.2 blade from Samsung. If you are going to generate multi hundred gigabytes of data daily, then you probably should go for the 970 PRO or even invest on a Optane, if not, just go for the EVO+ and replace it when the equivalent 4TB models are affordable.

For my main/boot disk, I'm using a single 970 PRO, while for scratch/library/temporary storage I went for 4 970 EVO+ with my High Point SSD7101A-1 to keep the cost acceptable and easy to replace when more storage space is needed. I prefer to replace it more often and not keep forever with the same storage, specially for a scratch disk. I'm on my second set of four M.2 blades since I bought the SSD7101A-1, first one was four SM951-NVMe.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Mr. T (I hope you don't mind me shortening your user name),
Perfect answer. It appears the EVO+ is the way to go for me. Have a great day.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I bought the 4TB internal Apple SSD thinking I'll make use of it - but it's a waste. I'm only using less than 500GB and then reserved another 500GB for Bootcamp. I would say 1TB per OS is perfect for future-proofing. So if you use Bootcamp as well, then another 1TB reserved space (again for future-proofing).

As tsialex recommended, external SSD sticks would be the best option with less down-time once these fail.

I made a mistake thinking the Samsung 970 Evo Plus sticks are MLC per their shady marketing as I was looking for true MLC. In any case I'm using 5 of these including 4 on a Sonnet m.2 4x4 and provided a lot of overhead memory space than I need to encourage longevity.

Last edited:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I bought the 4TB internal Apple SSD thinking I'll make use of it - but it's a waste. I'm only using less than 500GB and then reserved another 500GB for Bootcamp. I would say 1TB per OS is perfect for future-proofing. So if you use Bootcamp as well, then another 1TB reserved space (again for future-proofing).

As tsialex recommended, external SSD sticks would be the best option with less down-time once these fail.

I made a mistake thinking the Samsung 970 Evo Plus sticks are MLC per their shady marketing as I was looking for true MLC. In any case I'm using 5 of these on a Sonnet m.2 4x4 and provided a lot of overhead memory space than I need to encourage longevity.
Yah, I ended up selecting 1TB. To date, I'm only utilizing 1.5GB of my the 1TB drive on my 2013 Mac Pro.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Can you not replace the Apple SSDs yourself by using Apple Configurator 2 and a USB cable without taking the Mac Pro in for service? Of course, there is the Apple Tax!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you are concerned about longevity from “consumer” SSDs, install DriveDx to monitor life of drive. As soon as you see the key stats dip below 90-95%, replace it. Useful to install with any drives or SSDs present.

Reactions: choreo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.