Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k4z3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2020
Hello, everyone!

This is my first post in the macrumors forum - but since I haven't read anything about it here yet, I wanted to post a little tip that might be interesting or helpful for some of you.

Just like many others, I was immediately excited after the latest iPadOS update with trackpad support and wanted to test the new feature. I searched in all cabinets and boxes to find my old Magic Trackpad 1. But as it should be known, the old trackpad is unfortunately only rudimentarily supported by Apple. There is no possibility to scroll with two fingers or right-click. And this makes the trackpad actually useless.

Because I didn't want to spend 150€ for a Magic Trackpad 2 and the used prices are quite high, I looked for alternatives.

Thanks to a not very spectacular but helpful video, I came across the Logitech T651 trackpad (the bluetooth version - there seems to be a PC only version with a radio-dongle that doesn´t work with iPad). I bought a used version on Ebay and I am really satisfied. Feels like an Apple trackpad, looks like one and allows for the most important functions: Click, tap, scroll with 2 fingers, right-click, wake up iPad...

You can find the video here:Logitech T651 Trackpad iPad Pro Review

Three finger gestures still don't work - but in my opinion, this has little influence on the overall handling. A big difference to the old Apple Trackpad. Together with the Magic Keyboard a great alternative.

Maybe you still have such a Logitech trackpad lying around somewhere? I'd never heard of it. Hope this is interesting.

Trackpad-T651.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.