Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is a trade in reduction of $420 fair for a minor speaker dent

• Yes

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
3E58F18D-E5D4-4215-8563-A8312D806627.jpeg
F47A867D-9B20-41E6-A729-7BD0649E88ED.png
D0436D32-9688-4433-AAC7-F4B73B4391A4.jpeg
I have a Apple iMac 27 inch 2014 iMac 5K with retina display. It’s starting to run a tad slow and I figured I traded it in towards a new model that they will eventually announce at the upcoming events!

So I call my local Apple Store and they say they’ll take it as a trade-in in store! So I love the thing down there in its original box in mint condition and they don’t even look at it and tell me someone missed communicated with me and to send it out via their trade-in program!

So I call my local Apple Store and they say they’ll take it as a trade-in in store! So I love the thing down there in its original box in mint condition and they don’t even look at it and tell me someone missed communicated with me and to send it out via their trade-in program! So I do and a minor speaker grill dent cost me $420! So naturally I rejected the offer!

I’m going to post a link to the video explaining in detail here but has anyone else had a problem with apples trade-in offer with their computers?

I could totally understand if the screen was cracked or the whole unit was damaged in a severe way that drastic of a reduction but as you’ll see in the video this apparent speaker dent made them reduce the offer to a measly $120 in store credit

Is there any way shape or form fair to you guys I just want to get your thoughts on this and who I could contact at Apple to hopefully remedy the situation.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
120 dollar ? Even 540 dollar a lot of people will want it including me. :) .For me even depreciate at least 700 ~ 800 a bit consider since the original maybe 1400 ~ 1500

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Unfortunately Apple's trade-in programme has always been poor value and always will be. You ought to try selling your iMac on eBay instead (be sure to disclose the existence of the dent now that you know about it). Even the original price of $540 USD is a joke. They are fundamentally ripping you off.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its not a scam, but clearly they are not going to give you top dollar. I think 540 dollars for a 2014 iMac is ludicrous and I wouldn't have accepted that value in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: chabig

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Sell privately, as said by many the original price is far too low.

When you say the iMac is running a bit slow, maybe think about booting from an external SSD or upgrading the RAM.

The new machine will be quicker, but your current one shouldn't really be that much slower in comparison.

ThatSandWyrm

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2017
Indianapolis
View attachment 778793 View attachment 778794 View attachment 778795 I have a Apple iMac 27 inch 2014 iMac 5K with retina display. It’s starting to run a tad slow and I figured I traded it in towards a new model that they will eventually announce at the upcoming events!

So I call my local Apple Store and they say they’ll take it as a trade-in in store! So I love the thing down there in its original box in mint condition and they don’t even look at it and tell me someone missed communicated with me and to send it out via their trade-in program!

So I call my local Apple Store and they say they’ll take it as a trade-in in store! So I love the thing down there in its original box in mint condition and they don’t even look at it and tell me someone missed communicated with me and to send it out via their trade-in program! So I do and a minor speaker grill dent cost me $420! So naturally I rejected the offer!

I’m going to post a link to the video explaining in detail here but has anyone else had a problem with apples trade-in offer with their computers?

I could totally understand if the screen was cracked or the whole unit was damaged in a severe way that drastic of a reduction but as you’ll see in the video this apparent speaker dent made them reduce the offer to a measly $120 in store credit

Is there any way shape or form fair to you guys I just want to get your thoughts on this and who I could contact at Apple to hopefully remedy the situation.

You’ll never make as much on a trade-in as you would selling your gear yourself.

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
A scam is a situation where you are mislead on the terms and cannot unwind a transaction.

They quoted you a price and a reason; you chose to reject that price. That’s not a scam, that’s a market.

Nobody owes you a certain price. Your whining about it publically is embarrassing.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
A scam is a situation where you are mislead on the terms and cannot unwind a transaction.

They quoted you a price and a reason; you chose to reject that price. That’s not a scam, that’s a market.

Nobody owes you a certain price. Your whining about it publically is embarrassing.
No one asked you to watch it

Last edited by a moderator:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It’s no scam. But that’s how it is with trade inns. Nothing new with it.

You only do it because it’s not worth your time to sell it yourself.
And are about to buy something new anyway.
If there’s even the slightest damage, worth goes down, down.
If you have the time, and find it worth it, you sell it privately yourself.

Last edited:

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
It’s no scam. But that’s how it is with trade inns. Nothing new with it.

You only do it because it’s not worth your time to sell it yourself.
And are about to buy something new anyway.
If there’s even the slightest damage, worth goes down, down.
If you have the time, and find it worth it, you sell it privately yourself.

I contacted them and they decided to give me the full trade in value after all and im saving it for the new iMacs later this year

Reactions: madeirabhoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.