Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pimmelberger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
Hey,

I have a very weird problem with the Netflix app on my 3rd gen Apple TV (A1469). Playing movies works flawlessly but when I try to load up a TV-show, the Apple TV immediately reboots after 1-2 seconds of playing.
The problem is quite new - it's doing that for around 2 weeks. First it was doing the reboot on some episodes of some TV-shows. Now it's crashing with every episode of any TV-show.
It first occurred to me when I was binging the new season of Love, Death and Robots because I needed to verify my age for every episode to continue. Sometimes the episode would play, sometimes it would crash the Apple TV. So I thought it has something to do with the age verification. Now it's not even possible to watch any tv show at all because it immediately crashes. As I said - movies are working flawlessly. Even with age verification.

All other apps like Prime or streaming with AirPlay work fine. Netflix doesn't allow AirPlay so there's no chance of watching Netflix TV-shows right now.

Has anyone else noticed these issues?
Is Netflix rolling out new codecs or stuff that the 3rd gen Apple TV is not capable of?

pimmelberger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
I tried stuff from the site but most of the solutions are for later revisions.

1. The Apple TV was restored with blackb0x so Joyshare is not necessary. This troubleshooting guide looks very commercial. So I don't trust this Joyshare tool.
2. The Netflix Servers are online.
3. I signed off/signed in to Netflix a few times.
4. It's not a too-many-users-problem because it's just limited to TV-shows.
5. Force-closing the app is done by Netflix rebooting the Apple TV.
6. Rebooting the Apple TV was done and is always done by Netflix rebooting the Apple TV.
7. Network is working great (cable).
8. Everything is running the latest version.
9. Resetting Apple TV doesn't help. Also factory restored it with blackb0x.
10. There is no way to install apps on a gen 3 Apple TV.

11. This one made me curious - gen 3 Apple TV is not able to chose between different audio formats. I was able to turn off dolby, turn on dolby or use auto. No changes, still rebooting.

12. All cables are plugged correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.