Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
What is the minimum broadband requirements for Apple TV 4?

Internet connection can be patchy at times.

The below are results from a speed test:

Download speed:
1256 kbps (1.26 Mbps)

Upload speed:
657 kbps (0.66 Mbps)

Latency:
162 ms

Jitter:
15 ms

Packet loss:
-1%

What is the likely experience for ATV4 based on the above?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Not completely awful if your ATV4 is the only device actively using your internet connection, but that's a pretty slow connection speed for HD multimedia streaming -- the ATV4 is capable of much higher speeds. You're likely to experience a lot of initial stream buffering, and rebuffering once a stream has started regardless of whether you use an ATV4, Roku, or FireTV.

Reactions: smacrumon

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Not completely awful if your ATV4 is the only device actively using your internet connection, but that's a pretty slow connection speed for HD multimedia streaming -- the ATV4 is capable of much higher speeds. You're likely to experience a lot of initial stream buffering, and rebuffering once a stream has started regardless of whether you use an ATV4, Roku, or FireTV.
Initial stream buffering probably not such and issue, but rebuffing might be a tad annoying to experience. Thanks for the view.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I have similar internet speed. My WISP is advertised at 2Mbps download, but I tend to get anywhere from 0.5-1.5 on most Speedtest results.

Downloading Apps on the ATV4 works fine, but running them isn't the greatest. I pretty much only use it for Netflix as that seems to have the best system for adjusting the picture quality for your speed. Sometimes the picture gets down around standard def or worse, but very seldom buffers during a show. Some of the other video streaming apps do not work nearly as well and tend to buffer much more often. I've never even bothered trying to stream a show from iTunes, I just download them to my PC and use home sharing to watch them.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks everyone. So with the download speeds below, what technology is built into Apple TV to cope with slow speeds and create a seamless experience? Or will that not be possible?

And is it a good time to buy? Macrumours suggests: Caution Approaching End of Cycle

Download speed: 1256 kbps (1.26 Mbps)
Upload speed: 657 kbps (0.66 Mbps)
Latency: 162 ms
Jitter: 15 ms
Packet loss: -1%

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What are you streaming? Music, Movies, iTunes content, Netflix, Plex, HBO ... ?

That's a really slow speed. For SD quality Netflix recommends 3.0 Mbps, 5.0 Mbps for HD and 25 Mbps for Ultra HD:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

HBO Go minimum is 3.0 Mbps.

You shouldn't have a problem streaming music, but any video is either going to have reduced video quality or lots of buffering interruptions.

According to this post

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/atv-4-ethernet-performance-poor.2009303/

the ATV4 hardware is spec'd to 100 Mbps. I've tested mine running at 94 Mbps. So the hardware can handle even UltraHD with no problem. Your issue is going to be what any specific app does when it doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream. It may reduce video quality, give you buffering interruptions, etc. Netflix does this rather well.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
There's an option in tvOS 10 which will set the quality of playback depending on d/l speeds. Enabling this will reduce buffering somewhat, but you'll likely be watching SD versions of movies.

I usually have 50Mbps but most evenings I get throttled to ~1Mbps (due to over utilisation locally) and a movie usually buffers anywhere between 1 minute and 1 hour!

If you know in advance which movie you'd like to watch, you can set it going early and the ATV will cache the whole movie given enough time.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
This internet connection is absolutely nowhere near a normal standard and simply not sufficient for any device out there. Is there no option to upgrade your contract? Perhaps you're living in a rural area with no alternatives?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks all. It's was for a gift. Some quality loss ain't too bad, but buffering, the kind that interrupts, is just the absolute worst. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What is the minimum broadband requirements for Apple TV 4?

Internet connection can be patchy at times.

The below are results from a speed test:

Download speed:
1256 kbps (1.26 Mbps)

Upload speed:
657 kbps (0.66 Mbps)

Latency:
162 ms

Jitter:
15 ms

Packet loss:
-1%

What is the likely experience for ATV4 based on the above?

Looks pretty low...
I only get 8Mpbs but only one iTunes movie in HD at a time between 2 Apple TV's before buffering occurs. Even on 1 only, it still happens.. On Apple TV u can always scale it down to 720p under Itunes store.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I'm confused!?! What's the deal with no HDMI cable included with an Apple TV?

Is Apple trying to create a poor user experience when purchasing the device, or is there a different way to connect it to a TV?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To dot some users complaining that the Apple TV 4 is near it's life don't worry in the age of the TV APP store. Most likely the next Apple TV will be 4K with a newer chip. Some of the Apps might have go be updated but just like iOS just wait a few weeks and most of the Apps will be updated for the new Apple TV 5 because I expect it after the new iPhone and iPad are released. I do say between Late June to late Fall of 2017 we can expect an Apple TV 5.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.