Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I've been trying to research this topic but without much luck. I have a 2015 Honda Odyssey RES which I connect my Apple TV 4 to. I want to be able to carry a wireless HD or something along those lines that I can play videos straight to my ATV with. I've tried using Onevideo which copies the files straight to the ATV but I've run out of space on my 64GB ATV4.

Does anyone know of a wireless hard drive that I can connect to using it's own wireless network and play videos from without having to use Airplay through my phone, etc. Will Infuse/Plex/VLC or some other software be able to connect to it?

I've looked at several wireless hard drives from WD, Seagate, and Sandisk but not sure which ones will support it or if they even support it.

Thanks!

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I've looked at these but it doesn't say that you can stream video straight to the ATV. From what I can tell this just allows an iPhone/iPad to airplay the video to the ATV. I wanted to skip having to have to use the iPhone or iPad.

I'm surprised that Seagate or WD doesn't have an app for the ATV4 that can be used to access the files via their wireless hard drive like they do for the iPhone/iPad.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Just get a dedicated ipad for the ody. I use my older 128gb Air2 precisely for this reason with the lightning to HDMI adapter. Since I doubt you'll be streaming through cellular--->wifi--->ATV4 while driving with the Ody, you're wasting your time trying to use the ATV4 for something it's ill-suited for. I guess the only advantage for the ATV4 would be the darn remote.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I've looked at these but it doesn't say that you can stream video straight to the ATV. From what I can tell this just allows an iPhone/iPad to airplay the video to the ATV. I wanted to skip having to have to use the iPhone or iPad.

I'm surprised that Seagate or WD doesn't have an app for the ATV4 that can be used to access the files via their wireless hard drive like they do for the iPhone/iPad.
I haven't tested it out but why wouldn't it work? Why would it be any different than Infuse playing videos from a HDD attached to your home router? That's all these are, a router with options for attaching storage. For their low cost and great Anazon return policy I don't see the downside to trying it either.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Get a mifi hotspot to use as the wireless network. A wireless capable NAS and connect both to the mifi network. Since you will only be streaming from the NAS, you should not have to worry about data usage.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I haven't tested it out but why wouldn't it work? Why would it be any different than Infuse playing videos from a HDD attached to your home router? That's all these are, a router with options for attaching storage. For their low cost and great Anazon return policy I don't see the downside to trying it either.
I went ahead and ordered the RAVPower to see if it will work. I'll let you guys know if it works or not.

Reactions: off_piste

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have neither of these products, but from reading the description on Amazon it looks like they may require a proprietary app to stream content (which is probably not available for the Apple TV). To stream using Infuse, you need a wireless storage device that supports a standard protocol such as SMB, WebDAV or UPnP.

jeffreco

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Fort Wayne, IN
I have neither of these products, but from reading the description on Amazon it looks like they may require a proprietary app to stream content (which is probably not available for the Apple TV). To stream using Infuse, you need a wireless storage device that supports a standard protocol such as SMB, WebDAV or UPnP.

The RAV will do the trick. You just connect the hard drive with the movies on it to the RAV and it will serve in an Infuse compatible format. I've used it many times. Works great!

Reactions: Rigby

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The RAV will do the trick. You just connect the hard drive with the movies on it to the RAV and it will serve in an Infuse compatible format. I've used it many times. Works great!
Good to know. According to their web page this device supports SMB, so the OP should be good to go.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Update (success):
I got the RAVPower Filehub as off_piste recommended.

I was able to view the videos using FileExplorer free version. I actually bought and tried 2 other apps and they wouldn't work.

Works great. Now for the long road trip to Florida.

If anyone else wants to know I bought the HDMI converter to analog A/V cable from adcmobile. http://www.adcmobile.com/hdmi-av/
[doublepost=1464833958][/doublepost]
I couldn't get infuse to work. I may have to play around with it when I have more time.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
The Toshiba Canvio Areocast has a five-hour battery and SD card slot but needs either the proprietary iOS app or Google Cast app on a TV.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Update (success):
I got the RAVPower Filehub as off_piste recommended.

I was able to view the videos using FileExplorer free version. I actually bought and tried 2 other apps and they wouldn't work.

Works great. Now for the long road trip to Florida.

If anyone else wants to know I bought the HDMI converter to analog A/V cable from adcmobile. http://www.adcmobile.com/hdmi-av/
[doublepost=1464833958][/doublepost]
I couldn't get infuse to work. I may have to play around with it when I have more time.
Glad it worked but too bad about infuse since it's such s nice interface. The developer is pretty responsive in the Apple TV apps section. You could post your setup in the infuse thread to see if he has any suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.