Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Howdy Support Community,

A few days ago, I purchased myself a new Home Theater setup, but I am having two issues, I'll list them below and the attempts that have been made to rectify these issues at hand:

Issue A:

When I route my Apple TV > Denon AVR (media player input) > Samsung TV (arc input to HDMI out input) with either the Cinnamon HDMI or the Belkin 4K High Speed HDMI cables, I cannot get the ATV to activate HDR mode, just 4K SDR mode. I've tried Apple's suggested cables, the Belkin 4K High Speed HDMI cables. It still doesn't work! I suspect there is something to do with the settings on the actual Denon AVRX1400H. I put a call into Denon this morning to their Tier 1 support (they have crap support hours for PST, they close at 4 p.m., I work till 6 p.m. PST). They have upgraded it to the NEXT Support Tier. Hopefully Tier 2 can help me fix this part of the issue, it'd be really nice to have ALL of my inputs through the AVR rather than just the Apple TV separate from everything else! #firstworldproblems

Attempts to fix:

I've tried the different cables (Cinnamon and Belkin).

I've tried plugging into each of the different ports.

I've also tried playing with the AVR settings.

Issue B:

When I have the ATV > TV, I can access HDR just fine, Chroma 4.2.0 or 4.2.2.... either way I seem to have an under saturated User Interface. When the TV is in SDR, the color is JUST FINE. So I am unsure if this is something to do with the settings in the Samsung TV, it's capable of HDR (HDR Extreme, HDR10+), not Dolby Vision though, Samsung doesn't want to pay the royalties for that.

Attempts to fix:

For this issue, I've looked in the settings on the Television and have not been able to find this magical setting that other forum posts have given, and none of the settings that I have played with have fixed the color issue. I went into the Apple Stores to look at their TV setup, but they have LG monitors that support Dolby Vision, so their setup is going to be different from mine. But the color on that is much deeper and looks good, while mine is just looking saturated.

Here's the websites for each of the items listed above:

- Samsung Television 65" Class MU8000 4K UHD TV

- Apple TV 4K - Apple

- Denon AVRX1400H Receiver

- Cinnamon HDMI Cables (1m)

- Belkin 4K HDMI Cables

Basic Research from FAQ:

Denon states: "It's the cables!" = Tried this didn't work!

Apple states: "It's the Denon AVR / Samsung TV with their settings individually that need to be tweaked!"

Samsung states: .... didn't really have anything to say, YET!

Hopefully someone else has already had this issue, it's hard to pinpoint where the exact issue is, I've had to talk to ALL the support channels for each of the devices, but still haven't pinpointed the issue. I hired an AV guy who didn't know either. He's young so that might be why, but he did indicate that he had seen this issue before. If you have any thoughts or POSSIBLY a solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's to finding a solution for my problem! Cheers!

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
AVR looks like the HDMI deep colour or enhanced for 4k or something named similar is not turned on. this isn't always on by default.

also for HDR the picture presets are different from the normal SDR presets and need to be tweaked. try activating dynamic contrast/colour to see if it makes the picture more to your liking.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
AVR looks like the HDMI deep colour or enhanced for 4k or something named similar is not turned on. this isn't always on by default.

also for HDR the picture presets are different from the normal SDR presets and need to be tweaked. try activating dynamic contrast/colour to see if it makes the picture more to your liking.

Hmmm, any clue where that setting is? I feel like I've tried everything... lol! I only get SDR when going through the AVR because it can't access the signal for the HDR for whatever reason, still trying to work that out.

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Hey,

It will be in the video settings within the AVR settings and it’s called enhanced.
Make sure it’s enabled for the hdmi port you are using.

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Can I ask,

Is the AVR plugged into the same HDMI port that the Apple TV was plugged into when that sends the correct HDR signal.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
[doublepost=1515098839][/doublepost]
Can I ask,

Is the AVR plugged into the same HDMI port that the Apple TV was plugged into when that sends the correct HDR signal.

My setup from my AVR is this

TV One Connect > One Connect Box HDMI Inputs:

HDMI Cable from ARC to HDMI 4k Output on the back of the AVR (Cinnamon / Belkin 4K HDMI)
Media Player > Apple TV (Cinnamon / Belkin 4K HDMI)
Blu-Ray > Playstation 4 (regular hdmi)
Cable > Uverse (regular hdmi)
DVD > Xbox One (regular hdmi)
Game > Nintendo Switch (regular hdmi)

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Yeah,
I have an LG which requires each port to be activated and I checked your model of TV which says the same.

This is all a pain but worth it when it’s all done right!.

I’m watching IT in 4K DV and it looks amazing.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah,
I have an LG which requires each port to be activated and I checked your model of TV which says the same.

This is all a pain but worth it when it’s all done right!.

I’m watching IT in 4K DV and it looks amazing.

Also, doesn't your TV support Dolby Vision, not HDR?

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
It supports DV and HDR but the settings to activate the HDMI ports are the same.

For your Samsung I think it calls it HDMI deep colour.

Agh, I'll have to look and see where that setting is! I'm sure it's buried somewhere.
[doublepost=1515108117][/doublepost]
I think the Denon receiver is at fault.......I had one and it was over $1200 and had nothing but problems with it.

Hmmm I mean overall I'm loving it so far, but it's only been 3 days. Hard to judge, and I'm sure this isn't a failure, this is a settings issue SOMEWHERE, I'm almost positive.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
It supports DV and HDR but the settings to activate the HDMI ports are the same.

For your Samsung I think it calls it HDMI deep colour.

So this solved Issue A: It was under External Device Manager. Just had to set the input to 1 which is where the ARC was... dumb, and I think issue B is a calibration issue. Apparently HDR just looks duller? Not really sure.

Reactions: Matthew Essex

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Happy that’s one problem sorted. I would look up best picture settings for your TV on the AV forums now, it might not be exactly to your liking but will be an excellent starting point to getting the most out of your TV which is well regarded in terms of performance.
Once everything falls into place watching movies in 4K HDR is great experience and worth the setup pains.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Happy that’s one problem sorted. I would look up best picture settings for your TV on the AV forums now, it might not be exactly to your liking but will be an excellent starting point to getting the most out of your TV which is well regarded in terms of performance.
Once everything falls into place watching movies in 4K HDR is great experience and worth the setup pains.

I've been looking around CNET has one, just trying to find the best one or at least a consistency across the board. The one thing I have noticed is everyone says set it to "Game Mode" ....

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
Although I don’t have your TV please don’t set it to game mode for general TV watching as it turns everything off and the picture is looses its film look.
This is done to decrease the input lag as much as possible.

Start with the cinema or movie presets and adjust from there as needed.

Turn off anything that has an on/off option, tweak the picture and then turn on options if they look good to you!

What looks good to me might look like crap to you so go with personal preference.

The set up guides are just a starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim7

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Agh, I'll have to look and see where that setting is! I'm sure it's buried somewhere.
[doublepost=1515108117][/doublepost]

Hmmm I mean overall I'm loving it so far, but it's only been 3 days. Hard to judge, and I'm sure this isn't a failure, this is a settings issue SOMEWHERE, I'm almost positive.

I am running an ATV 4K into a Denon AVR-X1400H and HDR worked fine right away. Maybe you have a faulty Denon OR a faulty ATV 4K, as therefore theoretically you should have no problems.
And I am truly sorry you are having these problems, as with the same set up as you, but in my case feeding to an OLED LG 55B7D, the result is really stunning.

P.S. Just a thought - what HDMI cable are you using between the Denon & the TV? I read you've used quality cables from the ATV 4K to the Denon, but could the Denon to TV Cable be the problem?
[doublepost=1515275301][/doublepost]
I've been looking around CNET has one, just trying to find the best one or at least a consistency across the board. The one thing I have noticed is everyone says set it to "Game Mode" ....

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Try rtings.com - after their reviews they often have suggested settings. Also on YouTube look for tv calibration with darko

tliede20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I am running an ATV 4K into a Denon AVR-X1400H and HDR worked fine right away. Maybe you have a faulty Denon OR a faulty ATV 4K, as therefore theoretically you should have no problems.
And I am truly sorry you are having these problems, as with the same set up as you, but in my case feeding to an OLED LG 55B7D, the result is really stunning.

P.S. Just a thought - what HDMI cable are you using between the Denon & the TV? I read you've used quality cables from the ATV 4K to the Denon, but could the Denon to TV Cable be the problem?
[doublepost=1515275301][/doublepost]
Try rtings.com - after their reviews they often have suggested settings. Also on YouTube look for tv calibration with darko

It was just a setting in the TV, had to turn HDR on for the inputs... really dumb. HDR standard isn't SUPER stunning with contrast, have to go through and calibrate that.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
I think the Denon receiver is at fault.......I had one and it was over $1200 and had nothing but problems with it.
This.
Switched out my Denon for a Yamaha, and have had nothing but success. HDR looks great now on my LG set. With AppleTV, I'm using chroma 4.2.2, and things look really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.