Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mananmehta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
Hi
For the past one week I have been digging into the setup of my Apple tv but not able to get the answer to this question. My receiver is onkyo SR333 (does support 4K UHD and Dolby true vision, not Dolby atmos) and television is Samsung JU6600 (supports 4k UHD on HDMI 1 only and not all other ports)

My current set up is Apple tv connected to HDMI 1 on TV and TV(ARC) connected to Receiver (hdmi out).

Problem: I have enabled HDMI-CEC on both Onkyo receiver and TV. So when I switch off my apple tv from my apple tv remote, both TV and receiver turns off. I can also adjust the volume of my receiver with my apple tv remote (since CEC is enabled).

Problem occurs when I turn on the apple tv and only my television turns on and receiver doesn't. I have checked the settings on my receiver and TV multiple times, and all CEC settings are enabled but dont know what exactly is the problem. SO when I turn on the Apple tv only my TV turns on and when I click on the volume button, it only controls the volume of the tv. I then have to manually select audio source as Receiver from my samsung remote and then it will turn on the receiver and then changes the audio output to receiver.

When I change the setup to Apple tv to HDMI in on receiver(not TV) and then receiver hdmi out to TV, It just does not give me UHD picture. it only produces max HD picture quality so I have no other option other than to connect my Apple tv with tv only.

Setting on Apple tv mentioned as "control tvs and receiver" is also ON.
Onkyo CEC - Enabled.
Televsion Anynet - Enabled.

Any help on this would be highly appreciable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.