Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
My 4th gen Apple TV keeps shutting down lately. Also, sucks in general.:rolleyes:
Anybody else been experiencing random shut downs?

This probably won't help you, but my ATV4 used to randomly shutdown all the time, this was in the first year of the ATV4 launch.

Over time, updates seem to fix the issue, but it was really annoying when it was happening often.

Telling my ATV4 experience on the MR forum, I notice that there was a huge inconsistency in user experience of the then new ATV4. So, while you are experiencing shutdowns, many people will say their ATV4 is running great.

It is probably tvOS 11, and hopefully it will be fixed for you in an update. I noticed a lot of bugs that came with tvOS 11, some where already fixed for me, and some are still around.

Reactions: Braderunner

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Running Beta in mine and not seen that

But there is a fan in the Apple TV 4k so check that as heat can cause problems.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Mine was also doing that. Made a Genius Bar appointment where they updated the OS and (of course) the 10 minutes I was there it never restarted. But the Genius put notes in my file and said if it happens again to call Apple support about sending it in (luckily it was under warranty until Jan 2018). Got it home and within 40 minutes it restarted.

Called Apple support- they sent me a prepaid box to ship it in. They said they’d take a look and either repair or replace it. Four days later I had a replacement in hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.