Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnortega562

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hello All,

I'm hoping some can shed some light on an issue I've been having. After my recent purchase of the Apple TV 4K I decided to try out the HDR setting to see what it does. I have a two-year old Samsung UN55JU6400 so I don't have any options to enable the HDR settings but the ATV4K will allow me to enable the HDR setting at 60Hz but it will black out if I'm not watching any kind of movie and then eventually stop being recognized as a device thats plugged in. I tried all three of my HDMI ports and it seems that HDMI3 will allow me to enable the Chroma 4.4.4 with 4K SDR 60Hz or 4.2.2 with the 4K HDR 60Hz. I finally disabled the 60Hz and tried the 30Hz and I haven't had the issue except for a few times with YouTube.

I realized thats a book but I was hoping someone can shed some light on the benefits or the 60Hz vs 30Hz (or disadvantages). I bought a Monoprice HDMI cable because my Amazon Basics one wasn't working.

Thanks!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The biggest difference is just the smoothness of the UI. There is some 60hz content that will obviously also require 60hz for the fullest effect. Ideally there is little advantage to selecting 30hz unless 60 is causing issue. If you need to select 30, you may want to try 24hz instead (since you have a 120 panel). 24hz better matches most films and TV shows to reduce judder.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.