Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbus39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I have an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver that send the picture over HDMI to my Samsung 8000 series TV.

I have great picture and sound from my cable box that goes through the Onkyo to the TV

However, My Apple TV Gen 4 will not show a picture. I have sound but the TV is not bringing up the picture

When i plug the Apple tv into the TV directly it works just fine....

HELP Please

Last edited:

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
It worked just fine when plug directly into the Tv....
So still, have you tried swapping cable? They really can be that finicky. Also, have you tried a different input on the receiver? I had an Onkyo, a year older than yours, and its HDMI board had issues and needed to be replaced. Sound would go through on some inputs but not picture

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Right, apply process of elimination. Things to check or clarify for more help...
  • HDMI cable is suspect
  • Temporarily run cable box HDMI into the :apple:TV HDMI input on the Onkyo to see if that input can show ANY source of HDMI video. If not, check the Onkyo menus for that input to see if they might be switched off of using HDMI for that video input.
  • And try the other variation of the same test: temporarily run the :apple:TV HDMI into the HDMI input on the Onkyo to which your cable box is currently connected and working (sending cable video to your TV). Can you see :apple:TV video on that input?
  • Are you just hooking up the :apple:TV now or have you ever had :apple:TV picture linked with that HDMI cable to that Onkyo HDMI input but now it's stopped working? If it has worked as described in the past but has stopped working, consider unplugging the receiver, waiting about 60 seconds and plugging it back in.
My guess: if the HDMI cable is OK, I bet the menu in your Onkyo for that input is not set to use HDMI.

Reactions: robotica

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Make sure everything is completely off (even unplugged if unsure) before plugging any HDMI cables in. Then turn everything on. The initial handshake could be causing problems. Also try going onto the ATV settings and RESTART.

I apologize if this sounds basic and/or you've already done it. But we need to start from scratch especially since we can't be there physically to help.

I wonder if this is some HDCP non sense too. Wouldn't surprise me and cables can cause you all sorts of obnoxious HDCP issues even if they are "too long". Like mentioned above HDMI cables can be very finicky especially if they are old and you can get to a point where you are absolutely sure that isn't the problem only to find out it is.

Again I'm not trying to patronize you at all. Just trying to help.

mattbus39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
So still, have you tried swapping cable? They really can be that finicky. Also, have you tried a different input on the receiver? I had an Onkyo, a year older than yours, and its HDMI board had issues and needed to be replaced. Sound would go through on some inputs but not picture
thank you for the reply. yes i have on all accounts. Errrrrr

mattbus39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Did you try my suggestions? If so, what happened with each suggestion? If you don't share what you've tried and what happened, it's hard to get good help this way.

I have Samsung TV, Onkyo Receiver and :apple:TV so I'm working from a pretty similar setup.

Thank you for helping. I did try all of your suggestions. Unfortunately, i have had no success.

I have never had an :apple:TV run through the Onkyo before. The Onkyo is only 2 months old.

I went out and bought a 4k HDMI and still no luck. This is my 3rd HDMI cable.

I have tried running the :apple:TV through the Cab/Sat and still no picture.

The only place i can get a pic is when i run it directly through the Samsung... I can't do this b/c i wouldn't get the surround sound.

Any other ideas!

THANK YOU for your help

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you for helping. I did try all of your suggestions. Unfortunately, i have had no success.

I have never had an :apple:TV run through the Onkyo before. The Onkyo is only 2 months old.

The only place i can get a pic is when i run it directly through the Samsung... I can't do this b/c i wouldn't get the surround sound.

Any other ideas!

THANK YOU for your help

Restore?

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
What order have you tried powering things on it?
I am talking hard power on.
Try tv > receiver > Apple TV then try the opposite if that doesnt work.

Have you tried plugging the Apple TV into a different input?

Some good receivers have multiple hdmi outputs are you sure it's connected to an input?

mattbus39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
What order have you tried powering things on it?
I am talking hard power on.
Try tv > receiver > Apple TV then try the opposite if that doesnt work.

Have you tried plugging the Apple TV into a different input?

Some good receivers have multiple hdmi outputs are you sure it's connected to an input?
Yes i have done all of that.....
[doublepost=1488051675][/doublepost]
then i will have to re set up the receiver and i don't know how to do that....

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Any other ideas!

THANK YOU for your help

OK, so here's the big test (which you may have already tried):
  • If you are pumping your cable box into the Onkyo via HDMI cable and then from Onkyo to the TV via HDMI cable,
  • turn on your system and get a cable picture on screen,
  • unplug that HDMI cable from the cable box and plug it into the :apple:TV. Turn on the :apple:TV.
Any :apple:TV picture?

This eliminates a LOT of variables (2 HDMI cables, how the Onkyo input port is set up, TV input is set to the proper jack, etc). Basically, if the cable box can show a picture on your TV by routing through the Onkyo, the :apple:TV should definitely show a picture when you leave everything as is and just switch THAT same HDMI cable from being plugged into the cable box ad plug it into the :apple:TV instead.

If it doesn't show a picture, then I'm thinking there is something wrong with your :apple:TV.

Yes, I understand that when you hook it up directly to the TV, it shows a picture but I still suspect the :apple:TV needs to be swapped out if you try the above and can only deliver a picture with the cable box.

I'm guessing you are feeling a temptation to just hook the :apple:TV up to the TV but it should work perfectly fine to hook it up to the Onkyo. Receivers are supposed to be the "hub" for ALL audio-video equipment, not just some of it.

Also, your message implies that you might have a prior-generation :apple:TV. To test my guess about a faulty :apple:TV, consider doing the exact same test by inserting a prior generation unit in place of the cable box. Does IT show a picture? If it doesn't either, then I start thinking the Onkyo probably has some kind of issue.

Last edited:

mattbus39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Well it turned out it was a bad (cheap) cat5 to HDMI converter.... sometimes it pays to get the better products.

Thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.