Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjtidy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Hopefully someone can help with this, it's been driving me mad...

My ATV4 is refusing to stay connected as a home hub. I can sign in and control everything with Siri, then a short while later it stops working and the Home app on my phone reports the ATV as disconnected.

I've reset my whole HomeKit configuration, reset the ATV, and set up my phone as new, and still having this issue.

The only thing I can think of is not letting the ATV go into sleep mode - Apple's support page is vague on whether you can let it sleep or not.

Anyone able to help with this?

Norrsund

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Hopefully someone can help with this, it's been driving me mad...

My ATV4 is refusing to stay connected as a home hub. I can sign in and control everything with Siri, then a short while later it stops working and the Home app on my phone reports the ATV as disconnected.

I've reset my whole HomeKit configuration, reset the ATV, and set up my phone as new, and still having this issue.

The only thing I can think of is not letting the ATV go into sleep mode - Apple's support page is vague on whether you can let it sleep or not.

Anyone able to help with this?

I'm in a similar situation. I have iOS 10 and the latest tvOS, am signed in with the same Apple ID for iCloud, but the Home app doesn't see the Apple TV as an available home hub and I can't configure automation. I previously had my third gen Apple TV set up as my home hub for Siri commands to the Philips Hue and it worked fine.

Troubleshooting steps so far - signed out of iCloud on Apple TV and restarted both Apple TV and iPhone. No luck.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but do you see homekit listed on your apple tv? (It should be listed under the iCloud settings on apple tv)

If not, you'll have to make sure you have two step verification turned on. I wasn't able to get the apple tv connected until I turned on two step verification.

Reactions: Solver

sjtidy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but do you see homekit listed on your apple tv? (It should be listed under the iCloud settings on Apple TV
Yeah, the ATV says it's connected under HomeKit. But my phone reports it as disconnected.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you need to turn on 2 factor authentication.
and then re-sign into the aTV.

Norrsund

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
I'm in a similar situation. I have iOS 10 and the latest tvOS, am signed in with the same Apple ID for iCloud, but the Home app doesn't see the Apple TV as an available home hub and I can't configure automation. I previously had my third gen Apple TV set up as my home hub for Siri commands to the Philips Hue and it worked fine.

Troubleshooting steps so far - signed out of iCloud on Apple TV and restarted both Apple TV and iPhone. No luck.
I figured my problem out. I had 'two-step' verification on for my Apple ID and not the newer 'two-factor.' I found this when trying to set up my Apple Watch to unlock my MacBook in Sierra. I turned two-step off and two-factor on, restarted my Apple TV and iPhone and then the TV was found as a HomeKit hub.

Reactions: pjarvi and satcomer

Feenix

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2015
My issues is not exactly the same as above (I don't think) but related...

I finally got "home" to show up on my ATV4, and thusly now the Home App on my 7+ has an active Automation tab. I automate things and set their schedules but none of them are actually turning on when they are supposed to. Anyone know what's going on here? Or how to fix?

Reactions: jocamero

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Same issues as others in the thread. Apple Support wasn't helpful. Anyone have any suggestions?

sjtidy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
After a problem with my Hue lights I had to reset my HomeKit configuration and after that everything seems to be working. My Apple TV will still occasionally show as 'not responding', but if I wait a while it fixes itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.