Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I have a hard time imagining anyone will care, but maybe there's someone out there about to buy an Apple TV who wouldn't mind another review from a possibly unusual perspective. Here's mine over the first weekend.

I have been deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem as long as I've been using technology. Today we have iPhones SE and 12 mini, MBAs and MBPs, airpods, watches, airtag, even some airport equipment doing light duty behind the firewall. TLDR - we love Apple products. For whatever reason we've never had an Apple TV. Years ago someone gave me an early Roku streaming stick and I never had any complaints about it, it's just worked. Last week I purchased a launch day ATV 4K, and the experience was rather.. disappointing, even compared to the ancient Roku.

We were really excited for this launch and getting on an ATV with that slick new remote. When it finally arrived and was unboxed, the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable the remote is in your hand compared the the Roku or anything else. (oh, and the buttons are crooked.) Sharp metal edges and narrow fat design are really the opposite of ergonomic and started to make my hand sore after playing with it too long.. Maybe a case at some point will fix this. I also found the "you're losing it wrong" to be terribly bad optics - adding Find My really was a no brainer. In the same category as removing the accelerometer from the remote. Seeing "Please pair a 1st Generation Siri remote" every other time I try to download an app is almost embarrassing. Speedtest.net wouldn't even install.. What gives? An A12x minimum processor was also really needed for future-proofing, gaming, and... beating the benchmarks of the last model.

At any rate, I installed it with wired ethernet and turned it on. Brought my iPhone near for that signature no-fuss set up and it spun.. and spun, for a minute or two and failed. Tried again - failed with an error code. Rebooted devices and failed again. Lovely. The only way to set it up is log in to my apple ID using the remote. Very unpleasant... why are all the characters in a row??

Either way we're finally rocking and rolling. The touch surface that I was so looking forward to is really unintuitive to say the least. Why can't you go diagonally through a screen of apps? Why can't you scroll quickly with the iPod-esque clickwheel gesture everywhere? The swiping over and over to get anywhere ultimately seems worse than just clicking and tires the hand. And it isn't nearly sensitive enough even on fast. A quick swipe only takes you 2-3 "clicks" worth.

Fun. But let's get to the content. I proceeded to ATV+ to get that free year and it tried to charge me. I've never had a trial before. So now 30 minutes on Apple support to get a code I have to redeem on the iphone finally fixes that. They can't figure out what went wrong.

Almost every app's pairing process takes two attempts. Probably not Apple's fault, but really unpleasant and never something I dealt with on Roku. In fact, all the apps seem a little less baked and have features missing.

Oh I almost forgot! Time to color calibrate! That's a fun unique feature, can't wait to.. oh, nevermind.. your TV does not need to be calibrated. Speaking of the TV, it took several attempts to get the ATV to turn it on and off over HDMI. Once again, never an issue before. Why the heck can't Siri figure out what I mean when I ask to turn off the TV??

The next thing I was really looking forward to was Airplay. While my Roku supposedly supported it I wasn't able to get it to work. I started up a video on my iPhone 12 and airplayed it to the screen. Now, remember the ATV 4K is wired, I have a Ubiquiti WiFi 6 network with the iphone connected at full signal 802.11ax. Speed test on either device maxes out my ISP circuit at 250mbps. The video looked terrible and stuttered discernibly about twice a second. Anything I played did the same. Eventually after some reboots it became more stable, but yikes.. Really disappointed there.

I know that seems like a laundry list, but from a weekend's worth of light usage that's not even all my complaints. I've never had such an infuriating experience with an Apple device, which I feel is impressive after owning scores of them and being heavily biased. Maybe it's broken, who knows. Jury's still out but I'm strongly considering sending this thing back. I really don't see the advantage of a $180 box over the other streaming sticks that are a fraction of the cost. This has not been the Apple experience I know and love. Thanks for reading my rant :)

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Thank you for the review - our new ATV will arrive Thursday as an upgrade to our cheap Xiaomi Mi Box S (4K TV), certainly hoping for a better experience than yours...

Will run it wireless using Ubiquiti WiFi6, we have 1 Gbps fiber and the Wifi6 speed is 640 Mbps in the living room, so that will not be a restriction. Cross fingers.

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you for the review - our new ATV will arrive Thursday as an upgrade to our cheap Xiaomi Mi Box S (4K TV), certainly hoping for a better experience than yours...

Will run it wireless using Ubiquiti WiFi6, we have 1 Gbps fiber and the Wifi6 speed is 640 Mbps in the living room, so that will not be a restriction. Cross fingers.

Best of luck. Honestly it kind of seems like a perfect storm of unrelated problems. Maybe that's the price you pay buying launch day. I briefly owned a launch day 12 pro and it was not assembled correctly.

We have a single story house and have been able to easily repurpose the phone infrastructure to cat5e. The ATV works the same on WiFi 6, but I want to keep the airwaves as clear as possible for truly wireless clients. The UniFi 6 Lites have been great though. Not much for range, but I installed two.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I appreciate your comments on the remote.

I think so many in the Apple ecosystem are beat down by the horrific Apple designs in terms of comfort, in hand feel, button feel/sound, etc --- that it's not realized how great remotes actually can be.

The latest Roku remotes are spectacular. If Apple would stop over thinking the design and trying to "out material" everyone (uncomfortable sharp aluminum edges for something that goes -- in your hand???) and would just make a normal, maybe not as "stylish", but comfortable in hand remote --- it would be so welcome.

For some reason this company just can't get out of its own way on some products.

I assume someone will crank out some good silicone cases for the latest Siri Remote to at least make it tolerable.

Our first gen Siri remotes are all in silicone cases and it's wonderful to hold and use as a result.

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
I got mine on launch day and have had exactly the opposite experience. The Apple TV 4K has been flawless, started working perfectly with my Samsung QLED tv and Yamaha receiver. No glitches thus far at all and the video and audio quality are vastly superior to the Tizen stuff built into the Samsung. I find the remote just fine after adjusting it a bit in the system options. All in all I'm highly satisfied.

Reactions: George Dawes

mzubb

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Thank you for your review. I gave up on Apple TV's years ago. I gave away or still have in storage 2 ATV2s and 2 ATV3s. I went to Roku and have a much better (and less expensive) experience. Rokus just work.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I have the 2017 Apple TV 4K and the latest 2020 Roku Ultra and I prefer the ATV any day of the week. I find it faster, smoother and an overall better experience. My Roku crashes at least once during every session, usually caused by clicking around and trying to do things faster than it can handle. It also can't hold apps in memory and they restart every time I go back to them. I have no such problems with the ATV and will probably buy another eventually.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
We were really excited for this launch and getting on an ATV with that slick new remote. When it finally arrived and was unboxed, the first thing I noticed was how uncomfortable the remote is in your hand compared the the Roku or anything else. (oh, and the buttons are crooked.) Sharp metal edges and narrow fat design are really the opposite of ergonomic and started to make my hand sore after playing with it too long..
I’m with you on the remote thing.

A good remote (like TiVo or Harmony) is designed with you hand in mind which is why they are chunky and curvy with soft buttons. Apple remotes are designed to fit in the smallest box possible.

It’s a shame because I love that Apple gave us the touchpad and Siri function, but as a remote then it’s just not designed to be held.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
For me remote shape or not, the fact the Roku harvests user data for advertising purposes is definitely a big no. I wouldn't be surprised if advertising data collection is the primary source of revenue for Roku.

Aside from that, I haven't had any issues that the OP describes between the 4 ATVs that we have in the household.

abbeybound

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
For me remote shape or not, the fact the Roku harvests user data for advertising purposes is definitely a big no. I wouldn't be surprised if advertising data collection is the primary source of revenue for Roku.

Aside from that, I haven't had any issues that the OP describes between the 4 ATVs that we have in the household.

Wow, I honestly had no idea the data collection was that extensive.. Ignorance is bliss. You may have just sold me on keeping the ATV.

Thanks all for the replies. It's honestly a fine set top box, a little frusturating to get set up but I'm an IT guy so I can handle it. The experience lacked/lacks that Apple premium wow factor that we all pay the tax for. The sad thing is, just a few no-brainer improvements would have really made it great. (Whoever thinks this remote is not losable has clearly never had a toddler. I've had to hunt for it every time we sit down, and resort to the phone app half the time.)

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I've got 4 apple tvs dotted around the house and I love the things , with 500 movies on iTunes I've invested heavily into the apple ecosystem and been very well rewarded , wouldn't even consider changing EVER

The new remote is amazing imo too

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I have the 2017 Apple TV 4K and the latest 2020 Roku Ultra and I prefer the ATV any day of the week. I find it faster, smoother and an overall better experience. My Roku crashes at least once during every session, usually caused by clicking around and trying to do things faster than it can handle. It also can't hold apps in memory and they restart every time I go back to them. I have no such problems with the ATV and will probably buy another eventually.
i have both, necessary because many more apps available on Roku like F1 TV as an example. both systems work well for me other than the widely hated remote. I’m not a cheerleader for either.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I've got 4 apple tvs dotted around the house and I love the things , with 500 movies on iTunes I've invested heavily into the apple ecosystem and been very well rewarded , wouldn't even consider changing EVER

The new remote is amazing imo too
I have about the same uhh "investment" in iTunes movies. Joining Movies Anywhere was very liberating. Then Apple TV App came to Roku. I fainted :)

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I have about the same uhh "investment" in iTunes movies. Joining Movies Anywhere was very liberating. Then Apple TV App came to Roku. I fainted :)
Has anyone ever had an iTunes library movie disappear on them?

I also have a pretty huge "investment" in itunes movies but I stopped buying because of two issues:
1) Removed movies
Ive noticed a few movies disappear on me. Its my fault for not cataloguing everything so I'm not sure where I got it from originally (iTunes codes or iTunes purchase) but I've had things like Iron Monkey, Monty Python Holy Grail, some Jackie Chan movies or whatever just go away. Also, I think some "controversial" episodes of TV (30 rock?) also got snapped.

2) Stuck with SD Forever
I got Back to the Future off DVD codes. Back then it only gave SD copies so thats whats in my library and there's no way to upgrade to HD. I cant even rebuy the HD version because it says I own the movie (in SD). Its also frustrating that I bought 4 seasons of The Office so now I can't complete the collection and just buy the "Complete Series" bundle that always goes on sale.

Anyway, I like digital and I sold off all my physical DVD's (whoops) but now I'm scared to invest in digital copies because I dont "own" the movie and they can literally delete legit purchases. (For example, Amazon bought MGM. Is it possible for them to just revoke my movie purchase license because they want it to be exclusive on Amazon Video?)

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Has anyone ever had an iTunes library movie disappear on them?

I also have a pretty huge "investment" in itunes movies but I stopped buying because of two issues:
1) Removed movies
Ive noticed a few movies disappear on me. Its my fault for not cataloguing everything so I'm not sure where I got it from originally (iTunes codes or iTunes purchase) but I've had things like Iron Monkey, Monty Python Holy Grail, some Jackie Chan movies or whatever just go away. Also, I think some "controversial" episodes of TV (30 rock?) also got snapped.

2) Stuck with SD Forever
I got Back to the Future off DVD codes. Back then it only gave SD copies so thats whats in my library and there's no way to upgrade to HD. I cant even rebuy the HD version because it says I own the movie (in SD). Its also frustrating that I bought 4 seasons of The Office so now I can't complete the collection and just buy the "Complete Series" bundle that always goes on sale.

Anyway, I like digital and I sold off all my physical DVD's (whoops) but now I'm scared to invest in digital copies because I dont "own" the movie and they can literally delete legit purchases. (For example, Amazon bought MGM. Is it possible for them to just revoke my movie purchase license because they want it to be exclusive on Amazon Video?)
I’ve had a few really old movies disappear, and the loss of Disney 4K which most have come back I think.That’s why I did investment in quotes. I don’t buy any movies DVD or streaming anymore. I’m over the “My precious” of owning media. Plus I watch few over and over, unlike 10 years ago. I can rent multiple times and still come out ahead. Or pay for a streaming service for a month or two and binge. HBO Max included with my phone plan plus Tubi, Amazon Prime, and YouTube premium works great for me. Tubi, in particular is a game changer. My DVD collection is almost worthless also these days, so no value in buying more, to me.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Best of luck. Honestly it kind of seems like a perfect storm of unrelated problems. Maybe that's the price you pay buying launch day. I briefly owned a launch day 12 pro and it was not assembled correctly.

We have a single story house and have been able to easily repurpose the phone infrastructure to cat5e. The ATV works the same on WiFi 6, but I want to keep the airwaves as clear as possible for truly wireless clients. The UniFi 6 Lites have been great though. Not much for range, but I installed two.
Received the new Apple TV today, set-up was smooth with absolutely no issues including calibration.
I have it on Ubiquiti Wifi 6 AX, not wired.

Skærmbillede 2021-05-27 kl. 14.45.10.png

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban
just set up the new apple tv and for my needs is not great, maybe iptv apps are just not great on apple tv compare with native apps on my sony tv. i liked Plex, very fast and the best use of the remote control, better even than own aple tv app. Goin back , both my Sony tvs xg and xh are ok .
upscaling is much better on my tv. The only thing worrying me is in a long term , Sony will not bother updating . nvidia shield is collecting dust, this apple tv will be returned. The picture quality is fantastic on native Sony apps

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.