Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crodonline

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Chicago, IL
I just got an Apple TV 4K as a gift, but realized that I need an HMDI cable. My TV is mounted on the wall, very close to another wall. It's not easy to reach and I would have to move a desk in order to see if I would have enough room to add the HDMI cable. I have an ethernet cable that runs through my tv and router so I have internet on my TV. Can I get an HDMI adapter where I plug the ethernet cable into the adapter and then plug that adapter into the Apple TV?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
No

HDMI cables have quite a few more active pins (19 or29) versus 8 on an Ethernet cable. Even if an adapter were possible, it would likely lose a lot of functionality.

Bite the bullet and do what you have to do to reach the TV with an HDMi cable. if the wall is too close, there are right angle adapters that can allow you to come in from the top\bottom\side instead of directly plugging in to the back of the TV.

Or, you could get an HDMI switch and connect multiple devices (Cable + AppleTV + Game Console, etc) using the existing HDMI input into the TV. Some even come with remotes so you can switch inputs without getting up, like this one.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Why don't you mount the AppleTV on the back of the TV and utilize a short/retractable cable?

bcgullett

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
I just got an Apple TV 4K as a gift, but realized that I need an HMDI cable. My TV is mounted on the wall, very close to another wall. It's not easy to reach and I would have to move a desk in order to see if I would have enough room to add the HDMI cable. I have an ethernet cable that runs through my tv and router so I have internet on my TV. Can I get an HDMI adapter where I plug the ethernet cable into the adapter and then plug that adapter into the Apple TV?

I am not sure what style of mount you have your TV mounted with, however, techwarrior is correct, an HDMI from your Apple TV to your television is the correct set up. Sanus makes a bracket that mounts to the back of a television that would create a location to mount the Apple TV to the rear of your tv as mentioned also. However to properly install the plate that would hold your Apple TV unit, you would need to take the tv off the wall and remove one of the bolts/screws that is attached to the back of your television, as that is the means by which it is held in place. I have one of my Apple TV’s mounted on the same bracket behind the television we have mounted on the wall in our bedroom.

Becuase the way you described your situation, it sounds that which ever way you choose to go in order to hook it up is not an easily accessed configuration. I offer a friendly bit of advice to make sure you are using an HDMI cable that will support the media format your new 4K unit will be pushing out. Ensure the cable you use supports 4K Ultra HD/HDR. There is no need waste money on Monster brand cables unless you personally like their product, there is a wide range of companies that make what you need for a fraction of the cost you’d pay for a Monster brand cable. I mean no insult to you if you know about needing more than just your standard HDMI cable, I only mention it becuase I made the mistake actually and found out only after I replaced a 4th gen Apple TV with the 4K unit and left the HDMI cable that was already in place from the 4th gen I swapped with.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
there are quite a few HDMI over cat5 adapters,

even though they use cat5, they are not ethernet.
so you can't run the cable through a network switch, or use the same piece of cable for ethernet and HDMI at the same time.

hdmi over cat5

bcgullett

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
The correct cable needed for the equipment you have is the HDMI 4K UHD/HDR cable. The primary features that these line of cables offer are not helpful, but necessary when upgrading your home television setup into the 4K ballgame. The core of the reason is because of the dramatic increase in data a 4K device produces and pushes to your television or through a receiver, for those that have that configuration. On the topic of Ethernet, you’ll find that the cables I’ve mentioned above will all have Ethernet included as a part of the HDMI cable. It’s almost standard I’d go so far as to say. But it is not one of the features that serve a role in ensuring the new high-quality-high-definition media content is wiewed as it was meant to be wiewed. There is no research required on your part when deciding what you’ll need to get either. The lowest, non-flashy brand of 4K UHD/HDR is going have all the necessary features that a top name brand will have in their product, but almost criminally higher pricing. The reason the cable I’ve mentioned is the only correct component you should be using with your new 4K device is because they are specificity designed to support the increased transfer speed needed to for the dramatically greater amount of data I mentioned to before, to be played lag-free, and with as little of loss picture quality as possible. In order to support the HDR contect your Apple TV will produce on a lot of thi movies realeased today rests entirely on connecting your television and your 4K Apple TV with the correct cable.

The short version is with the development with devices and services that are being offered in a greater resolution and sound quality that ever before, the supporting equipment had to be enhanced to make it possible to view all these new forms of HD media we are offiered. 4K is of course 4 times the resolution of the 1080 we were not that long ago all watching. It takes a purposely aware approach to tackling that challenge and it simply can not be achieved with connecting the cords in the manner you asked about at the beginning of this thread.
[doublepost=1524417802][/doublepost]
there are quite a few HDMI over cat5 adapters,

even though they use cat5, they are not ethernet.
so you can't run the cable through a network switch, or use the same piece of cable for ethernet and HDMI at the same time.

hdmi over cat5
As WAW74 stated, an HDMI cable with Ethernet incorporated in it is not for the transfer of network data like that that is transferred through like a purely CAT-5e model cable carries in your computer network activities. The presence of Ethernet in Video & Audio subject is to provide the required speed needed to carry the media in this new form. It is not playing any role in terms of the video image or audio file that makes up what is going to be shown or displayed on your television. Additionally the presence of CAT-5e quality Ethernet provides the significantlly larger range now needed to accommodate the video and audio from the source to the tv. Your traditional Ethernet we used to use would not be able to have accomplished this due to the smaller bandwidth it produced. CAT-5e produces 100 Mbz of bandwidth which is simply referring to the range of frequency able to reliably use. Wider range of frequency simply allows more space for the media to travel through and with 4K content being 4 times higher resolution than the previous 1080, without the Ethernet inside the HDMI cables to provide the wider range the 4K content would simply get never reach the television in the necessary form needed to give is the amazing picture we get today

Last edited:

crodonline

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2018
Chicago, IL
Wow, I didn't expect such in-depth answers. I got the HDMI cable and had to move the TV off the mount because I don't have a flexible mount. Everything is in place and working.

Thanks everyone.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
As WAW74 stated, an HDMI cable with Ethernet incorporated in it is not for the transfer of network data like that that is transferred through like a purely CAT-5e model cable carries in your computer network activities.

Ummm, that's not what i said at all.

there are boxes that let you send HDMI using a cat 5 cable.
it also allows longer length than using just an HDMI cable.

click the link in my original post for examples

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.