Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Hi,

Two questions that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I am on ATT Mobile Share 6gb with three users. We pay $60 for the plan and $40 each for 'access' minus $20 for all having devices off contract.

If I buy the iPhone 8 or X through the Apple Upgrade Plan, will ATT consider me back on contract and remove that $20 credit? Does this only happen if I make the mistake of choosing ATT instead of Unlocked through the AUP?

Also, if I decide to go with the iPhone 8 this year, can I move to the Xs next year via the AUP? Is there any limitation on moving up or down in device through that yearly upgrade program?

Thanks!

E

Chele

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Illinois
If you enroll in the Apple's iUP, it is completely separate bill from your cell phone carrier. I have the same plan and I'm enrolling in iUP and it's two different bills. One doesn't effect the other. The only thing that At&T will have with the whole process is that it will ask for your carrier info when you log in to enroll in the program. After that, it won't matter what cell phone plan you have. To At&T, you have an off contract phone. :)
[doublepost=1505331749][/doublepost]I just saw your other question, from what I understand...the iUP is a 24 month interest free loan. After you make 12 payments, you can trade your current phone in for another phone. That bill is paid off and you then pay on the new one. It doesn't matter what you swap for. You could go from an X this year to a 8S next year. Doesn't matter. You just have to make 12 payments.

Reactions: eoren1

nycxaxez

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
I am on ATT Mobile Share 6gb with three users. We pay $60 for the plan and $40 each for 'access' minus $20 for all having devices off contract.

If I buy the iPhone 8 or X through the Apple Upgrade Plan, will ATT consider me back on contract and remove that $20 credit? Does this only happen if I make the mistake of choosing ATT instead of Unlocked through the AUP?

It does not matter whether you purchase an out-of-contract phone, use At&t Next, or the iPhone Upgrade Program - you qualify for the credit on your At&t bill in either case. You are technically "bringing your own phone" and will still receive the credit from At&t, as you are off contract. I've been on the iPhone Upgrade Program the last two years and that's how it's worked so far.

Reactions: eoren1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.