Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I've purchased two of the 'official' Apple USB-C Charge Cable (2m) cables, and they REEK!!! They smell like they have been in a dungeon with mold growing off everything, and are STICKY, like there is something on them. I mean, the smell is nauseating, and the stickiness is CREAPY!

Strange thing is the 1m cables smell, and feel, fine.

Anyone else purchased one recently and noticed this?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I haven't purchased any additional cables from Apple, but the one that came with my computer was stiff and would kink and would also twist like the end of a wire hanger. I replaced it with a Uni USB-C with Power Delivery.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
've purchased two of the 'official' Apple USB-C Charge Cable (2m) cables
Did you purchase them at the same time? Possibly it's an issue with that batch.

I'd just contact Apple and ask for an exchange (or a refund and pick a different brand if you wish).

I inadvertently bought a Prolink charge cable (the USB 2.0 nature was mentioned but not prominently) but it seems pretty reasonable - has a braided coating and fixed velcro strap to keep it tidy in the bag.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I did contact Apple support. I feel now, after the fact, that I was brushed aside. 'It's a third party supplier issue'. For a third party supplier item with Apple's name on it. *shrug*

Why do I care. It's just sad... Out of all the cables I've ever purchased, I haven't had one that is such a mess as these are. Attention to detail is lacking? *sigh*

Saturday, I opened a case with Apple Support about a problem with a strong odor from two 'USB-C Charge Cable (2m)'. After thinking about the interaction, I am surprised at the reaction I received.

I got the impression that this was a ‘third party supplier issue’, and that I was brushed off.

It’s a lot more than a 'third party supplier issue’ to me. The cables have the Apple name on them. I bought them assuming that ‘Apple’ had checked the supplier, tested their product, and wanted the ‘Apple’ name on them. I’m not dumb enough to think that Apple makes everything they sell with the name ‘Apple’ on it, but I would certainly hope that ‘Apple’ would care more about what that name is on. Best Buy doesn’t make that cable, and neither does Target. Can every issue with anything Apple sells be easily brushed away as a ‘third party supplier issue’.

At the end of the conversation, I was told to attempt to return the cables to the stores, which I will do, but I have very little, next to zero hope actually, of getting a 'non-stinky’, less odiferous and sticky cable. After all, I purchased another cable from another reseller thinking that it might be the original store, didn’t work out well. (BTW: The 'USB-C Charge Cable (1m)' have no odor that I could smell)

In Apple’s yearly cash flow, 2 of those cables don’t even register, but the lack of attention to the basics leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths who do buy those cables, and buy Apple's products.

I expected the first cable to not be a smelly sticky mess, and then I expected the second cable to not be a smelly sticky mess, and both times, Apple failed to deliver.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my concerns.​

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I did contact Apple support. I feel now, after the fact, that I was brushed aside. 'It's a third party supplier issue'. For a third party supplier item with Apple's name on it. *shrug*

Why do I care. It's just sad... Out of all the cables I've ever purchased, I haven't had one that is such a mess as these are. Attention to detail is lacking? *sigh*

Saturday, I opened a case with Apple Support about a problem with a strong odor from two 'USB-C Charge Cable (2m)'. After thinking about the interaction, I am surprised at the reaction I received.

I got the impression that this was a ‘third party supplier issue’, and that I was brushed off.

It’s a lot more than a 'third party supplier issue’ to me. The cables have the Apple name on them. I bought them assuming that ‘Apple’ had checked the supplier, tested their product, and wanted the ‘Apple’ name on them. I’m not dumb enough to think that Apple makes everything they sell with the name ‘Apple’ on it, but I would certainly hope that ‘Apple’ would care more about what that name is on. Best Buy doesn’t make that cable, and neither does Target. Can every issue with anything Apple sells be easily brushed away as a ‘third party supplier issue’.

At the end of the conversation, I was told to attempt to return the cables to the stores, which I will do, but I have very little, next to zero hope actually, of getting a 'non-stinky’, less odiferous and sticky cable. After all, I purchased another cable from another reseller thinking that it might be the original store, didn’t work out well. (BTW: The 'USB-C Charge Cable (1m)' have no odor that I could smell)

In Apple’s yearly cash flow, 2 of those cables don’t even register, but the lack of attention to the basics leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths who do buy those cables, and buy Apple's products.

I expected the first cable to not be a smelly sticky mess, and then I expected the second cable to not be a smelly sticky mess, and both times, Apple failed to deliver.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my concerns.​

It’s just a cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.