Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorbenGDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
So right now, there's a principal lawsuit going on in Denmark where a customer after having won over Apple in the consumer court, is being sued by Apple for not accepting that they repaired his "new" phone with old parts...

Now I'm in the same pickle. My MBP 2011 has been running without issues for all these years, then back in the beginning of 2016 I had the first issue with the horisontal stripes at boot up, eventually leading to the machine freezing.

I handed it in under extended service because this is a known issue by Apple. Apparently it's the graphics card that is messed up and since it's stuck in the logic board they replace the board completely.

But... I got it back after only 2 days, which I find curiously impressive considering we are talking about 5 year old spare parts. Today I put back in the 2nd ram block and fire it up. I get the 3 beeps.

I do the whole hardware test thing with both blocks in the functional ram port. Nothing wrong with either of them. Then I put them both in and I get the three beeps.

Mind you, this is one and a half day after they replaced the logic board. I can only conclude that they actually gave me an old board.

Is there any way to find out if I indeed received a used spare part as a "repair"?

Anyways, will be going back into the store either today or monday. I'm pretty disappointed.

TorbenGDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Yes... I found out... thing is, Danish consumer laws trumph Apples service rules all the way. So actually they are by law not allowed to call it new or "like new", when it isn't.

TorbenGDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
I would expect them to have parts that arent broken to begin with...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue is that they don't have new parts to use. They've long stopped manufacturing the 2011 logic board, so they can only repair defective boards and then use them for repairs. I'm not making excuses for apple, just pointing out what they do.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I would expect them to have parts that arent broken to begin with...

Apple uses refurbished Logic Boards, the stark reality is that they will be more prone to premature failure. Anyone with experience with complex electronic systems knows this to be a fact...

Nor do I think for one second, Apple stands alone with this shoddy practice.

Q-6

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just like EVERY OTHER computer manufacturer, Apple uses refurbished parts to repair computers under warranty. The warranty info clearly states that. I repair computers for my job, I can't tell you how many parts I get in that say "refurbished" on the tag on the static bag, from ALL manufacturers (Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo). Consider the environmental impact of just tossing the failed part in the bin, and the economic impact on the company.

Where did Apple say they were using a new or like-new part to repair the computer? The US warranty says Apple uses "new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability". While the reliability part may be in question, you received back a computer with the same specifications as you gave them, right? That's Apple's obligation under the warranty, at least in the US.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not really seeing a problem, I don't recall them ever promising to use "new" parts.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
The issue is that they don't have new parts to use. They've long stopped manufacturing the 2011 logic board, so they can only repair defective boards and then use them for repairs. I'm not making excuses for apple, just pointing out what they do.
Well bad to be them. Give the OP a new MBP then.
[doublepost=1479572924][/doublepost]
I'm not really seeing a problem, I don't recall them ever promising to use "new" parts.
The thing is that consumer laws differ in different countries.

For example in my country of origin consumer might require the producer, importer, retailer or service centre to use new parts for the repair no matter what if he decides so under consumer laws. Although by default it's not required so very few know and even fewer use this.

Comparing my country of origin and OP's, I would subjectively expect his to have even more strict consumer laws.

Last edited:

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany

Fair point, but Apple is known for doing this with machines which are still in production as well.
If danish (and maybe other country's) law really requires using new parts, they should start storing parts before they stop production.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just like EVERY OTHER computer manufacturer, Apple uses refurbished parts to repair computers under warranty. The warranty info clearly states that. I repair computers for my job, I can't tell you how many parts I get in that say "refurbished" on the tag on the static bag, from ALL manufacturers (Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo). Consider the environmental impact of just tossing the failed part in the bin, and the economic impact on the company.

Where did Apple say they were using a new or like-new part to repair the computer? The US warranty says Apple uses "new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability". While the reliability part may be in question, you received back a computer with the same specifications as you gave them, right? That's Apple's obligation under the warranty, at least in the US.

Absolutely not surprised, like all Apple is meeting it`s legal obligations, equally it`s poor albeit widespread practise. In my experience complex electronic boards that have been refurbished/reworked are 7-10 more prone to failure when stressed.

Personally speaking, none of my notebooks have ever incurred a board failure. As I use my notebooks for work purpose should such an event occur I would, if in warranty have it repaired, equally I would gift that machine to family or friends, replacing the notebook with a new model as reliability is paramount to me.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well bad to be them. Give the OP a new MBP then.
I don't disagree with you, I think Apple screwed up royally with the 2011 repair program. The failing dGPU is such that its not a question of if it will fail but when and given that this affects all buyers of that machine, Apple should have done a trade in program.

Pedro1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018

US laws are not the rule for the rest of the world. Imagine having a defective engine on your car, and not having the option of a brand new one after just 5 years. Its patetic.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It’s In their terms and conditions right there in black and white when you sign up for applecare or agree to any sort of repair. Not sure how you can argue against that.

It’s helped me before with a dodgy iPad they just gave me a refurbished unit and I was in and out in 5 minutes no waiting for a repair just a refurbished unit that looked like new!!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's a 2011 MacBook. Apple has no legal obligations at all.

You paid them to fix your computer. Since you have to pay for all the cost, you expect them to fix it at the lowest possible cost. Using an older part will reduce the cost. You could have insisted on getting only new parts, and Apple could have told either "sorry, we have no new parts", or "sorry, but the new part costs this much more".

However, you have some warranty on repairs. So you can take your MacBook to the store, let them check your RAM slots, and let them check if they are both working. If they gave you a replacement motherboard, whether new or old doesn't matter, the RAM slots must work. And it sometimes is hard to plug in RAM properly, someone with more experience may just plug in your RAM and it works.
[doublepost=1537779903][/doublepost]
Fair point, but Apple is known for doing this with machines which are still in production as well.
If danish (and maybe other country's) law really requires using new parts, they should start storing parts before they stop production.
Your MacBook is seven years old.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.