Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I was just informed (after I received my Apple Watch 3) that I may be moving to Dublin Ireland from the US. I've read that the Apple Watch 3 may not work in other countries. Is that true? If so, we all know that there are a limited number of LTE bands. Could the watch work in other countries if I contacted the provider or worked through Apple? Or it is a hard code limitation? Is there a potential software update that may be in the works to correct that shortcoming?

Thanks,

-Ted

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It might work but not very likely. There are 3 regional versions of the Watch: Americas, China, and Europe/Asia Pacific. Unlike iPhone, there isn't a worldwide Apple Watch Series 3 model that supports all cellular bands used globally, so it isn't possible for Apple Watch to roam.

Here is the link where you can compare the LTE Bands of the 3 models.

Link: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Dave

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
LTE will not work at all since I don't believe any IE carriers are supporting it. But furthermore, Ireland uses bands 1,3, 8, 20. The US Watch has none of those. Even if an Ireland carrier were to start supporting the Watch, the US version still wouldn't work on their network. A software update won't fix a hardware limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.