Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do?

• Get an apple watch

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Buy a Xs

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Buy a X and save the money

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hello, Im new here and I just want your opinion on what should I buy. Im currently a medical student who doesn’t really do workouts (lol I need to get healthier). I dont really have a close friend or a family member that has an apple watch to really know what the day to day use of it outside workouts.

1.Should I get an apple watch series 4 and what can I use it for other than tracking my heartrate or exercise stuff?
2. Or should I just upgrade my iphone 7 plus to an iphone Xs?
3. Also is it better to just get the regular iphone X (still availble here in my country) instead of the Xs and save the money?

Thanks!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So you have a 7 plus which is still a FANTASTIC PHONE - I personally think you will get much more out of adding an Apple Watch to your life rather than upgrading a phone that is already great on iOS 12. I also would not get a X - the XS or XR are much better phones especially from a glass not scratching perspective and the camera. But again go with the watch.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Hello, Im new here and I just want your opinion on what should I buy. Im currently a medical student who doesn’t really do workouts (lol I need to get healthier). I dont really have a close friend or a family member that has an apple watch to really know what the day to day use of it outside workouts.

1.Should I get an apple watch series 4 and what can I use it for other than tracking my heartrate or exercise stuff?
3. Also is it better to just get the regular iphone X (still availble here in my country) instead of the Xs and save the money?

Thanks!
I'd get an iPhone X and either a Series 3 or Series 4 Watch depending on your budget. But only you know what's important to you.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Thanks!

I mean, what do you like about both devices? They are completely different obviously with a phone and a smart watch, but what draws you to more about the Apple Watch or the iPhone XS? Do you think you would be happy with a new iPhone over the watch or vice versa? I think only you can really make this decision. Have you demoed the Series 4 Apple Watch? If you haven’t, I would start there first.

Last edited:
Reactions: staggerlee41

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
Xr screen is *****, get a 7plus and get your watch

The XR screen is miles ahead of the 7(+) screen in every single aspect except PPI, so that is a really strange advice. Just sayin'.

At OP: I'd probably get either a cheap X or XR and go with the Apple Watch S4 rather than buying a XS. The difference between the iPhones IMO just isn't worth upgrading, while the AW will make a huge difference if you can find use cases for it. Wouldn't want to miss my AW anymore. :)

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd recommend getting to a store to see the Apple Watch in person and ask the associate questions about their use case. Speaking from personal experience, I was unsure of whether or not to get one and going to the store helped me make a decision to get one. I've used it as motivation to be more active, track fitness, sleep. I also really like the notifications for mail, messages, travel information, weather, music control, remote for camera etc as I don't have to pull my phone out to do those things now. It's a very nice compliment to an iPhone but it's also not necessary and not for everyone.

As a medical student, I'd think the impact Apple Watch could have on patients and your learning whilst in medical school could be very interesting.

Phones are rather mature so while you can get an improved phone, I think Watch adds a different experience. Mind you this is just my opinion because ultimately this is about what makes the most sense to you. Make a list of pros and cons of each and decide which speaks to you the most.

Reactions: Mr.C
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.