Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mtyusef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi all,

This may sound silly as the reason most of us bought the S5 is due to the always on display! But, has anyone noticed/ annoyed at just how bright it is at night!?

I have the S4 which I have not sold yet and bought my S5 Watch a few days ago. Absolutely loved my S4 and the battery life (charging at night for an hour or so) would last the entire day - even working out 5 times a week, the battery % would be >35%.

From owning the S5, even changing the settings under the 'brightness' option (currently set on the lowest option), the screen on the watch is still so bright! Why does it need to be that bright at night!? Even now, sitting at work, I still find the screen actually too bright for a feature to be 'only taking a glance at the screen'....

Does anyone know if this is going to be resolved in any updates soon as battery life (like all the other posts I have come across) is really effected. Such a shame if there is not going to be a 'night/ dark mode' to make the screen that much darker so the battery life can be improved.

No way someone needs their watch screen that bright during the night! I have resulted to putting it on Cinema mode so the screen turns off at night.

Any help/ suggestions or thoughts would be great!

Cheers,
Mem

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Hi all,

This may sound silly as the reason most of us bought the S5 is due to the always on display! But, has anyone noticed/ annoyed at just how bright it is at night!?

I have the S4 which I have not sold yet and bought my S5 Watch a few days ago. Absolutely loved my S4 and the battery life (charging at night for an hour or so) would last the entire day - even working out 5 times a week, the battery % would be >35%.

From owning the S5, even changing the settings under the 'brightness' option (currently set on the lowest option), the screen on the watch is still so bright! Why does it need to be that bright at night!? Even now, sitting at work, I still find the screen actually too bright for a feature to be 'only taking a glance at the screen'....

Does anyone know if this is going to be resolved in any updates soon as battery life (like all the other posts I have come across) is really effected. Such a shame if there is not going to be a 'night/ dark mode' to make the screen that much darker so the battery life can be improved.

No way someone needs their watch screen that bright during the night! I have resulted to putting it on Cinema mode so the screen turns off at night.

Any help/ suggestions or thoughts would be great!

Cheers,
Mem

I don’t know about you, but the screen has a perfect brightness for me at night and my battery at the end of the day is usually 50%. Then again my watch face sort of has a dark mode to it. I use the Solar Dial face which is absolutely beautiful IMO.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Why does the display have to be on at night at all? If you wear your Watch while you sleep, Theater Mode is the only logical setting.

Reactions: Mtyusef

Mtyusef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Why does the display have to be on at night at all? If you wear your Watch while you sleep, Theater Mode is the only logical setting.
Just seems a little strange that there isn’t a Dark /Night mode, to really dim the screen.

Reactions: Akrapovic

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015

I was thinking the same. Although I only have the S3, I wear mine at night and have Theatre and DND Mode on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.