Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiccociolla

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Hi guys!
I am en enthusiast Apple Watch owner since more than an year. I find it simply great form my life. A part from all what regards notifications, I love how it helps you to "live an healthier life"! You know, it does not miracles, but I found it really great in encouraging you to set a target and to reach it, step by step, everyday!
So, let's come to my problem. My father is 65. He recently had some (not severe) heart problem, and the cardiologist told him that he should do basically just one thing: start to get some movement, change it's sedentary lifestyle!
Well, I think that an Apple Watch would really help him very much in this goal!
Problem is: I do not think and AW is the right product for him! It is not matter of money, I should give him mine and buy for me the new one (o_O). The problems I see are quickly:
- AW is somewhat delicate: I fear he could damage it soon (even if I feared the same before giving him my former iPhone 4s few years ago and it is still intact!)
- AW does lots of things I suppose he will not exploit. I find it difficult to imagine him answer a phone call to his wirst, or chasing an emoticon as answer!! :D
- AW is a watch! and he already has some nice watchs (maybe presents from my mother..), and AW is thought to be worn everyday..

This very last point made me think that maybe the right solution is some kind of "fitness device" like maybe the fitbit that is not a watch, or at least is a watch that does not seems a watch to much, so you can wear with your normal watch..

So, What I would like to ask you.. any suggestion? Any device that could do basically what AW does to keep you in shape? And I mean, in a cool "apple-like" style, the one that makes you really want to fill those damn rings! :D
Anybody has experiences with an Apple Watch on a 65y!? :)
Thank you guys!

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Hi guys!
I am en enthusiast Apple Watch owner since more than an year. I find it simply great form my life. A part from all what regards notifications, I love how it helps you to "live an healthier life"! You know, it does not miracles, but I found it really great in encouraging you to set a target and to reach it, step by step, everyday!
So, let's come to my problem. My father is 65. He recently had some (not severe) heart problem, and the cardiologist told him that he should do basically just one thing: start to get some movement, change it's sedentary lifestyle!
Problem is: I do not think and AW is the right product for him! It is not matter of money, I should give him mine and buy for me the new one (o_O). The problems I see are quickly:
- AW is somewhat delicate: I fear he could damage it soon (even if I feared the same before giving him my former iPhone 4s few years ago and it is still intact!)
- AW does lots of things I suppose he will not exploit. I find it difficult to imagine him answer a phone call to his wirst, or chasing an emoticon as answer!! :D
- AW is a watch! and he already has some nice watchs (maybe presents from my mother..), and AW is thought to be worn everyday..

This very last point made me think that maybe the right solution is some kind of "fitness device" like maybe the fitbit that is not a watch, or at least is a watch that does not seems a watch to much, so you can wear with your normal watch..

So, What I would like to ask you.. any suggestion? Any device that could do basically what AW does to keep you in shape? And I mean, in a cool "apple-like" style, the one that makes you really want to fill those damn rings! :D
Thank you guys!

The galaxy gear s2 has numerous health apps, accurate heart monitor, easy to use. Looks good. And up to 3 day battery life. From my own experience I'd recommend it every day of the week..

chiccociolla

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
The galaxy gear s2 has numerous health apps, accurate heart monitor, easy to use. Looks good. And up to 3 day battery life. From my own experience I'd recommend it every day of the week..
Hi, and thanks for the reply!
the problem is that if the only difference (regarding the point I highlighted before) from AW to the gear s2 is the battery (in the sense that it is actually a "total smartwatch" like AW) I would probably go directly with Apple Watch!..

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
None of these devices are meant to be worn concurrently with your watch on the same hand. You can switch hands of course. Lots of manufacturers are offering fitness watches, while AW in my family is the norm, I have a fitbit for tracking purposes. The new line of fitbits are nice and not over the top with "smart watch" functionality. The fitbit ios app is very good as well.

chiccociolla

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
None of these devices are meant to be worn concurrently with your watch on the same hand. You can switch hands of course. Lots of manufacturers are offering fitness watches, while AW in my family is the norm, I have a fitbit for tracking purposes. The new line of fitbits are nice and not over the top with "smart watch" functionality. The fitbit ios app is very good as well.
actually I was quiet attracted by the fitbit family, but I have no one I know who has one!:(
The problem is that I am finding it quiet difficult to understand how it works only from web reviews! Does it offer something similar to apple watch system of "wake up dude, let's have a stroll/excersice" and so on?
Thanks

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
actually I was quiet attracted by the fitbit family, but I have no one I know who has one!:(
The problem is that I am finding it quiet difficult to understand how it works only from web reviews! Does it offer something similar to apple watch system of "wake up dude, let's have a stroll/excersice" and so on?
Thanks
Fitbits have sensors to track movements and can provide notifications for messages and calls. It can trace steps, stairs climbed, heart rate and sleep patterns from that calculate calories and other stats. It syncs to the ios app, that keeps a running total and a bunch of metrics based on steps, calories, heart rate in exercize zone etc.

If you don't want to use the ios app you can sync to your computer with an attached accessory and upload the stats from the fitbit directly to the website and use the website to track progress.

The newest fitbits have a reminder to move every so often.

Edit: fibits are killing it in the consumer market; they were made for people such as your father. They do very well with most activities, and seem to not be as accurate down hardcore exersizes such as weight lifting. For your 65 year old father, a fitbit is a perfect choice.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hi guys!

Thank you guys!

Without doubt a fitness band, reading and watching reviews the Samsung GearFit 2 and the Garmin ones are good. FitBit can be out of wack with its heart rates apparently.
I would suggest you watch some You Tube reviews. What phone does your father have?

I would question people like I7guy on their experiences with the FitBit heart rate accuracy so you get a good spread of opinions.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Hi, and thanks for the reply!
the problem is that if the only difference (regarding the point I highlighted before) from AW to the gear s2 is the battery (in the sense that it is actually a "total smartwatch" like AW) I would probably go directly with Apple Watch!..
Gotcha , a fitbit of some sort is probably the way to go then...

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Don't get a fully fledged smartwatch. Get a fitness-focussed device.

Fitbit may well be the best one to go with. Well known brand and they seem to make a concerted effort to keep the app very simple.

But a problem with Fitbits is the user has to charge them fairly regularly (I don't think there are any in their wrist-worn range that last more than a week on a single charge). Many people are fine with this, but I also think it's irritating for a lot of people, and this isn't good for adherence to using it.

So it might also be worth considering trackers with longer battery life, even though this means giving up on continuos heart rate monitoring. Garmin (another big player, but with a slightly more complex app than Fitbit) have a couple of trackers which have a 1 year battery life

- Garmin Vivomove (a watch)
- Garmin Vivofit 3 (a band)

By the way, this guy does good Youtube reviews on fitness bands and watches, with several roundup/comparison videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/OnwardAthletic

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
GearFit 2 or Fitbit Surge. Based of the fact that most older people don't have the greatest eyesight.

chiccociolla

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Thank you all so much guys! I knew I could reckon on you!
So it seems that there is quiet a consensus about fitbit! Are we talking about the last one just presented?
The problem of the battery duration is not a main concern, I don't think my father would have any problems in charging it during the night some day or the other!
So I think I will watch some YT video about it..
A first question: is the fitbit resistant enough?
Maybe at the end of the story I could buy a fitbit on amazon and try a little by myself, and in case I do not feel is the right product I can always return it!

edit: my father now owns a iPhone4s, but it will probably not last lots of years I suppose! :)

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
So it seems that there is quiet a consensus about fitbit! Are we talking about the last one just presented?
The problem of the battery duration is not a main concern, I don't think my father would have any problems in charging it during the night some day or the other!
Maybe at the end of the story I could buy a fitbit on amazon and try a little by myself, and in case I do not feel is the right product I can always return it!

edit: my father now owns a iPhone4s, but it will probably not last lots of years I suppose! :)

I am currently using a fitbit charge HR (NOT the one just released, the previous model) which I am going to soon be retiring for an AWS2. The reason for replacement is that I feel that I'll make use of the AW functionality outside of fitness tracking.

I've had my charge HR for about a year now and it has been great at doing what it does. Here are a few things that you may find helpful:

The heart rate monitor is actually quite accurate. I've found that it is within +/- 2bpm when checking my pulse manually from resting heart rates to around 130-140 - not bad at all for a relatively cheap fitness tracker. I've found that once you start pushing >150, it loses a little accuracy but still gives a good estimate of how you're doing during your workout. I have found it to be reliable and accurate enough during cardio but not so much when lifting weights.

I wear my charge HR to bed most nights where it tracks my HR while sleeping. It also does basic sleep tracking and determines how restless you were during the night based on how much you move during sleep. I sync the previous day/night data when I wake up in the morning with my iPhone via bluetooth.

The continuous heart rate monitoring is interesting if you are into that sort of stuff. It not only calculates heart rate during exercise but also when resting and gives you an average resting heart rate along with a few handy graphs in the fitbit app. Over time, as you get fitter, you may see your resting heart rate begin to fall.

In my experience the pedometer is accurate enough to give you a good estimate of steps done during the day. It won't be 100% accurate but then again, what pedometer is? Once it figures out that you're walking, you can visibly see the steps counter rising on the display step by step as you walk which I found to be useful. I've found that it isn't very accurate at detecting flights of stairs - best to ignore this and stick to the steps counter IMO.

My fitbit has taken a beating over the last year. I frequently get the strap wet when washing hands, take it on/off without being careful with the strap and have picked up numerous scratches on the small display (which I have found scratches quite easily). It still works just fine. I can also still get at least 3 days before needing to recharge and it tends to charge pretty quickly.

Sounds like it would be perfect for your dad.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

If you want to get your father a band get the Charge 2 or the Alta (If heart rate monitoring is wanted get the Charge 2. If its not important, get the Alta). If you want to get him a watch replacement, get the Blaze.

I've never owned a Fitbit long enough to have an opinion on durability.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Hi guys!

Thank you guys!

Fitbit's are perfect that have the HR monitors. My Mom (70) has one to monitor her heart rate which is good because sometimes it goes nuts. :) She loves it and it's very simple to use.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got a Fitbit Blaze. I think it's really good, simple and has solid battery life.

About 4 days if connected to phone, but almost a week if not.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Without doubt a fitness band, reading and watching reviews the Samsung GearFit 2 and the Garmin ones are good. FitBit can be out of wack with its heart rates apparently.
I would suggest you watch some You Tube reviews. What phone does your father have?

I would question people like I7guy on their experiences with the FitBit heart rate accuracy so you get a good spread of opinions.
Have you owned a fitbit? Or are you just gathering your information on-line without any personal experience or any real research? http://www.consumerreports.org/fitn...lse-of-fitbits-contested-heart-rate-monitors/

Seems like a charge HR or Surge (which is a bit bigger) type model would be perfect for Dad. I own the surge have had it since March 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.