Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guicane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
Hey fellow collectors of apple bands, on the latest Gurman rumours update he says next year we'll probably gonna see the first major redesign to the watch which will make the existing bands incompatible with the new watches.

As someone that has been collecting them for years I don't know how to feel about that. I understand change happens and it's part of the way this industry works but on the other hand it upsets me, should I just get rid of my bands while there's time? :(

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...watch-series-9-ultra-2-watch-x-later-ll9geb3n

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
Hey fellow collectors of apple bands, on the latest Gurman rumours update he says next year we'll probably gonna see the first major redesign to the watch which will make the existing bands incompatible with the new watches.

As someone that has been collecting them for years I don't know how to feel about that. I understand change happens and it's part of the way this industry works but on the other hand it upsets me, should I just get rid of my bands while there's time? :(

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...watch-series-9-ultra-2-watch-x-later-ll9geb3n
I have about 12.

I think I'll stop buying anymore, now.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
If it means we finally get a Dick Tracy video watch, I’m all in!

2dc3fb59680d860711f21a951f624947.jpg

Reactions: transmaster

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
There are too many reasons to be doubtful about (that part of) the rumour to be upset IMO.

More serious/elaborate discussion here: Link

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This is interesting.

And this:

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have already purchased a different watch band. Discovered the Small Alpine Loop band is a bit tight so I ordered a medium sized one. Even brand new this Alpine Loop has to be the most comfortable watch bands in my memory. Never have been a fan of metal watch bands. So many of them had a habit of pulling out the hair of my forearm.

Last edited:
Reactions: skeptech

laffnvegas

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Desert South West
I think a lot depends on do you plan to immediately get rid of your current Apple Watch? I am just now trading in my AW5 for SS9 and still have a SS7 but will probably wait another 2 years to trade in the 7. I started with AW0, I have kept them for 4 years and have had 2 since AW3.
I am not surprised they are considering the change but I do not see a need to worry about it right now. BTW I have 25 bands some very expensive and some are cheapies.

Reactions: alexcue

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
The article information is unknown to materialize as it is only prediction. Never worry and take actions on any rumors.
Just wait and see! So, keep all your bands 😊

laffnvegas

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Desert South West
I am still pissed off that Apple discontinued my magnetic leather link bands that I have been using for years. I have one extra.
I agree I loved those bands, I have the off white and the dark forest green one. The off white one I got lucky and got it discounted at Best Buy two years ago when they discontinued that color.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I am still pissed off that Apple discontinued my magnetic leather link bands that I have been using for years. I have one extra.
The rule is, if there is a band you want, buy it early. Apple has a tendency to discontinue colors and whole band styles frequently. I still love my Apple Classic Buckle black leather band. I bought it just before it was discontinued. Very happy that I did.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
There are a number of places that sell exact copies of the Apple Leather Magnetic link band.
I have tried some of the knock-offs and they are poor in quality. My black leather magnetic link looks like new after over a years use. The knock-offs will look bad after only a few months.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I
I have tried some of the knock-offs and they are poor in quality. My black leather magnetic link looks like new after over a years use. The knock-offs will look bad after only a few months.
Kind of figured that. I needed the next size up for the Alpine loop on my AWU2 and the exact copy for $9 bucks didn't have titanium hardware and I am sure the material it was made of was really cheap too. So I forked over the $99 bucks for the real deal.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The question I have being a real noob in AW watchbands is who makes good ones. From my Military days I started to use tactical style watch bands. I am looking at some and they are far more elaborate than the simple waterproof nylon bands I used to use. The price is not an issue it seems to me a $100 Dollar watch band on an $800 dollar watch is not out of order.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I like this watch strap, but the don't make it for the 49mm Apple Watch, but it is bespoke so they probably would make you one each is hand made to order. But it costs $650 bucks so It isn't going to grace My AWU2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.