Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shirakotakumo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
I have an aluminum Apple Watch, I'm planning to buy a black link bracelet band for it. The link bracelet is made of stainless steel which is a metal and my watch is aluminum, also a metal. I'm afraid of the band scratching my watch when I'm changing the bands. Since you have to slide the bands out, I'm afraid that the friction between the band and Watch case will scratch it. Do you have an aluminum Watch with a link bracelet band? Did it scratch your case? Please let me know, my OCD is driving me crazy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an aluminum Apple Watch, I'm planning to buy a black link bracelet band for it. The link bracelet is made of stainless steel which is a metal and my watch is aluminum, also a metal. I'm afraid of the band scratching my watch when I'm changing the bands. Since you have to slide the bands out, I'm afraid that the friction between the band and Watch case will scratch it. Do you have an aluminum Watch with a link bracelet band? Did it scratch your case? Please let me know, my OCD is driving me crazy.

They were certainly be some friction from the stainless steel and aluminum when you're sliding the band in and out of the port. I can't contest if it will scratch it or not, but it could if you're not careful enough or there could be some micro scratches within the band port from the friction of the stainless steel link with the aluminum.

shirakotakumo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2017
They were certainly be some friction from the stainless steel and aluminum when you're sliding the band in and out of the port. I can't contest if it will scratch it or not, but it could if you're not careful enough or there could be some micro scratches within the band port from the friction of the stainless steel link with the aluminum.
[doublepost=1485500116][/doublepost]Apple support says not to worry because the watches are designed to work with all its bands, but it's metal on metal. What is the difference between a micro scratch and a normal scratch?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
[doublepost=1485500116][/doublepost]Apple support says not to worry because the watches are designed to work with all its bands, but it's metal on metal. What is the difference between a micro scratch and a normal scratch?

A normal scratch is something that's likely deeply embedded or visible. Micro scratches would be small, fine, very minimal scratch that you would have to look very up close to see.

I have seen others wear the link bracelet with the aluminum watch, and I don't think it should be a problem where it will scratch the watch. I do know there will be friction from the two metals when you're sliding the band inside the port, where it is possible to have some micro scratches.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you are careful inserting the band into the watch, scratching should not be a problem.

What COULD be a problem will be the band, when your watch is off your arm, coming in contact with the aluminum. That could scratch. I have also read where the Milanese bands can scratch, even the stainless steel AW.

With a little care you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.