Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCarmona

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2014
Hi,

I want to gift my 72 year old mom an Apple Watch SE. The refurbished option from the Apple website saves me £30 from a new one, but not the strap colour she’d like (midnight vs blue, minor difference)

She lives in Mexico, whilst I live in the UK.

Is there any risk on buying the refurbished option? Should I go for the new?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
I'd recommend spending the £30 and getting her a new one with the color strap she wants!

New guarantees a fresh battery and that it should be without blemishes. Refurbs can have those, too, and often do, but it's not guaranteed. One can always return the refurb, but why possibly put a recipient through that?!

You could also buy new in the UK, make sure it's to your liking, and then mail it to her!

The other advantage to buying new is that you can select the *type* of band she wants — which typically isn't possible with refurbs. We really like the adjustable sports loop but that costs $50 extra with most refurbs. New, you can just select it and the color.

New is better as a gift, too!

Reactions: N69AP and JCarmona

JCarmona

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2014
I'd recommend spending the £30 and getting her a new one with the color strap she wants!

New guarantees a fresh battery and that it should be without blemishes. Refurbs can have those, too, and often do, but it's not guaranteed. One can always return the refurb, but why possibly put a recipient through that?!

You could also buy new in the UK, make sure it's to your liking, and then mail it to her!

The other advantage to buying new is that you can select the *type* of band she wants — which typically isn't possible with refurbs. We really like the adjustable sports loop but that costs $50 extra with most refurbs. New, you can just select it and the color.

New is better as a gift, too!
Thanks! I ended up going for the new, just for the battery; but you're right, the blemishes could also be an option.

I'll give it to her in person, next week! I'm excited. Thank you for your time on this comment!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Thanks! I ended up going for the new, just for the battery; but you're right, the blemishes could also be an option.

I'll give it to her in person, next week! I'm excited. Thank you for your time on this comment
I'll bet she'll be thrilled with the watch (as well as her visit with you)!

Reactions: JCarmona
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.