Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fraxool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Hey!

I am currently thinking about buying an Apple Watch and am wondering if I should go for a Series 1 or Series 2.

First, I don't really need the GPS since I run in a fitness room (on machines) and have my iPhone not far from me. Also, I don't often swim so this is not a need but would still like to know if I could take a shower with a Series 1 with no problem ?

And my last question, but most important one is regarding the battery life. Since the Series 1 now has a new CPU, does it keep the same battery as the "Series 0" ? So it would mean a lower battery life than the Series 0 because of the new CPU, right ? For the people who already own a Series 1, can you already tell if it will stay alive during an entire day with no problem ?

Thanks!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Battery life is rated the same for original watch, series 1 and 2.

The new processor is faster but also more energy efficient.

Series 2 has a slightly larger battery to compensate for the additional power used by the GPS.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Also no such thing as waterproof. The series 1 is the same IPx7 water rating as the original. I have showered with mine well over 500 times.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
It's only been a day but I did run watchos3 on an S0 all summer with some apps in the dock. It burned through battery like mad. The S2 doesn't. I'm betting that's due to the new chips which the S1 also has.

Also sure a new battery...

The new CPU is a LOT faster. The 50% claim seems accurate. I has the S0 from day one and this thing is just far snapppier. Not perfect but finally feels smooth day to day. Even opening old watch0s 1 apps only takes a few seconds where it used be like 10-30 if it ever ran it all. And new watchOS 2-3 apps only take a second or less. Animations are much smoother system wide, and multitasking is much smoother too with no stuttering. Highly recommend the S1 for speed alone. Unless you don't mind waiting.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I owned S0 and have had S1 since Friday. Battery life seems comparable, maybe slightly better on S1. S1 isn't officially "waterproof", but it will handle spills, contact with water, etc. You can shower with it if you want, but I never have.

S1 is definitely faster, an important feature since S0 lagged a bunch.

fraxool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for your answers, it really helps me a lot.

I think I will go for a series 1 then. Just another question regarding the brightness. Is it ok outdoor ? Since the S2 has this improvement as well. But I don't think it's worth the extra money, since I don't need the GPS.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I have never ever had a problem with my S0 / S1 screen brightness, outdoor or indoor. Also keep in mind S2 is slightly bigger / bulkier / heavier than S0 / S1.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I owned S0 and have had S1 since Friday. Battery life seems comparable, maybe slightly better on S1. S1 isn't officially "waterproof", but it will handle spills, contact with water, etc. You can shower with it if you want, but I never have.

Then the bigger battery in S2 is making a huge difference. I've had it on my wrist for 12 hours now and did two hours of workout with heart monitoring and I still have 70% battery. That's a miracle compared to my S0...

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri

Battery life could just be better due to age. Lithium batteries have a finite life and lose a bit of charge as they age (not as much as older NiCD and NiMH batteries.)

OP;

My wife bought the series 1, I bought the series 2. I'm gonna be perfectly honest, case material was my number one reason. Vanity, yes. I just really like the way the stainless steel looks. Since the series 1 is only available in aluminum, it wasn't an option. I'll probably never need the GPS functionality. I'm an avid cyclist, but I use a dedicated cycling computer from Garmin. The swim-proof feature is neat; I might use it when I go swimming here and there in the summer. But I wouldn't have minded just leaving it behind before jumping in. Lots of folks report swimming without problems on the series 1 anyway but, I'm cautious.

So ultimately, case material for me. That stainless steel case is gorgeous, coupled with a leather band!

The Series 2 also has a brighter screen which hasn't been mentioned. However, even in bright sunlight, the Series 1 doesn't seem to have any problems. It also seems, strangely enough, less distorted when I wear polarized sunglasses than my iPhone screen does (my iPhone has a bit of a 'rainbow effect' when I wear polarized sunglasses). However, that super bright screen probably is a benefit for many.

Truth be told, unless you need a Series 2, you probably only want a Series 1. What I mean by that is, Series 2 is going to be attractive to three specific categories of people. Runners, who want the Series 2 to be a true GPS running watch without the need to bring a phone. Avid swimmers, who want GPS tracking when swimming and to be able to wear the watch when swimming; and finally, people who just want the nicer case materials. It IS a watch; people have been spending thousands of dollars more (adjusted for inflation) for centuries to buy watches that are finer, nicer looking, or even just more 'prestigious' than the other guy. So it makes sense that I'm probably not the only one willing to fork out a couple hundred bucks more just to get the case material I want. Had there been a stainless steel Series 1, I very well may have bought it instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.