Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
California
I have a Series 1 Apple Watch and along one of the edges, the screen is starting to separate from the body a bit. I've read about the battery expanding issue and whatnot, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen NOT because of the battery... i.e. adhesive weakening or something like that.

Apple support said that it'll cost $250 to repair it since it doesn't qualify for any programs. I'm considering opening it up myself with some parts and a new battery from ifixit.com, but don't want to go to that length if it's not necessary.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a Series 1 Apple Watch and along one of the edges, the screen is starting to separate from the body a bit. I've read about the battery expanding issue and whatnot, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this happen NOT because of the battery... i.e. adhesive weakening or something like that.

Apple support said that it'll cost $250 to repair it since it doesn't qualify for any programs. I'm considering opening it up myself with some parts and a new battery from ifixit.com, but don't want to go to that length if it's not necessary.

If you’re going to opt for a ‘self repair’, I would suggest looking at a YouTube tutorial, it probably will help you. Other members have made self repairs with the battery. It’s not that difficult, but you do have to be careful with the ‘connecting ribbons‘ (There is two of them) to the display not to damage those, otherwise you will Render the watch useless.

In terms of resealing the display to the casing, I would marginally use very little of clear gorilla glue. And the watch will need to sit at least 12-18 hours to fully cure.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
California
If you’re going to opt for a ‘self repair’, I would suggest looking at a YouTube tutorial, it probably will help you. Other members have made self repairs with the battery. It’s not that difficult, but you do have to be careful with the ‘connecting ribbons‘ (There is two of them) to the display not to damage those, otherwise you will Render the watch useless.

In terms of resealing the display to the casing, I would marginally use very little of clear gorilla glue. And the watch will need to sit at least 12-18 hours to fully cure.
Yeah. I usually do that just to be sure. I've repaired iPhones several times, so I'm comfortable doing it. I guess I'm just trying to gauge if the screen is (barely) starting to separate because the adhesive is wearing out or because the battery is definitely puffing. It's still fairly useable right now, so I'm just trying to get a sense of if it's worth cracking it open just to check or to keep using as is. Once I pull the screen off, I'm committed, ya know?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah. I usually do that just to be sure. I've repaired iPhones several times, so I'm comfortable doing it. I guess I'm just trying to gauge if the screen is (barely) starting to separate because the adhesive is wearing out or because the battery is definitely puffing. It's still fairly useable right now, so I'm just trying to get a sense of if it's worth cracking it open just to check or to keep using as is. Once I pull the screen off, I'm committed, ya know?

I suspect the battery is swollen (Especially being this is a Series 1, which was prone to battery issues) , which is exactly why the display is separating. Unless the watch was exposed to water, which is why display might be separating as well, then that would be the only other reason. Or, the battery is swollen and the adhesive is separating from moisture/water exposure.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wouldn’t spend any money on a series 1. Unless you have the correct tools like Apple uses and are very adept at repairing the Apple Watch, the chances of you breaking the watch further are a lot higher.

Save your money towards a watch upgrade to series 4,5 or 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.