Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think I can make the shatter and scratches disappear completely without screen replacement?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Jorban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Budapest
Hello All,

I would like to tell you a sad story.

I bought my Apple Watch series 3 aluminum 3 months ago, and I went for a swim with it and shattered/scratched the screen accidentally...that's all.

I could use some advice from you guys because I didn’t really found any helpful solutions online.

I had some options to consider:

1. Apple. Didn't work...they offered a new watch for a 100 thousand HUF (about the price you pay for a completely new watch)
  2. Screen replacement: I am not experienced in it and I don't have any tools to do it, however, there are some for eBay for 55 thousand HUF (about the half the price of a new watch).
  3. Digitizer: This is actually way more complicated than the complete screen (LCD+Digitizer) replacement, and I also don't have the experience or tools to do it, but the digitizer only costs 16 thousand HUF on eBay.
  4. Carglass. There is a company here witch repairs windshields on cars, but they won't do it, because they "just don't fix Apple Watch glasses", so this is also a fail.
  5. Some kind of special screen shield/cover? Well if you check the amount of the scratches and the "hole" on the side of the screen, you might say: there is no way it can make that disappear", or that "there isn't any kind of screen-healing technology used by some kind of manufacturer for that".

So now I am here and trying to learn some useful tips from you guys, was thinking about some kind of "paste" which can fill out the hole so it disappears? And maybe there is some kind of magical substance which can make the scratches disappear? After these, I can finally apple a screen shield/cover and a case for the body of the watch.

I uploaded some photos.

Thank you If you read this, more thanks If you comment and can help me... and if it is just a shoulder to cry on, I appreciate that also. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1154.JPG
    IMG_1154.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 277

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks scratched rather than shattered. Maybe you can try to polish it with glass polisher? Just a wild thought.

Anyway this is the worst downside of the Apple watch. It's extremely fragile and the cost of repair basically covers a new unit because Apple doesn't bother swapping the display. Apple should either make the display more durable or make the display easier to replace.

Jorban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Budapest
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks scratched rather than shattered. Maybe you can try to polish it with glass polisher? Just a wild thought.

Anyway this is the worst downside of the Apple watch. It's extremely fragile and the cost of repair basically covers a new unit because Apple doesn't bother swapping the display. Apple should either make the display more durable or make the display easier to replace.

Well, the top left one is a little hole basically. A small one. I don't think the water can go in and it's only the digitizer which is damaged. There is a little piece missing from the glass. :/
Didn't try it with glass polisher yet.
[doublepost=1537090504][/doublepost]Maybe this is a better one about the scratch/shatter

Attachments

• 41874543_235903240438607_3443072687595847680_n.jpg
    41874543_235903240438607_3443072687595847680_n.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 243

Jorban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Budapest

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Reactions: newellj

Jorban

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Budapest
I would just want to use to plug the small hole. Screen protector does help to cover scratches.

Thanks for the tip, I just did that.

I put a little bit of super glue on the head of a needle, and I carefully (with a huge ****** lamp shining on the watch edge) put a little into the "hole". I think it got sealed pretty well, now I just have to wait for my next paycheck to buy those screen protectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.