Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agonzohockey13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I am looking to get an apple watch but was waiting for the 2nd one to come out. After the keynote I don't think the series 2 will be worth it for me personally so I'm trying to decide between the older sport model or series 1. A few questions I have are

1. What are the main differences between the series 1 and the Sport? different Processor?
2. How does the os3 run on the sport edition with the older processor?

Any insight would be great.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I went back & forth in my mind - trying to decide between the Series 1 and 2. Both have the same processor & will run OS3.

The original watch will run OS3 too, but it has a slower processor. I didn't consider it even though it might be possible to find it on sale somewhere.

Went for the series 2 Sport watch myself. Not sure that GPS, brighter screen & better water resistance are truly worth the extra $100, though.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I went back & forth in my mind - trying to decide between the Series 1 and 2. Both have the same processor & will run OS3.

The original watch will run OS3 too, but it has a slower processor. I didn't consider it even though it might be possible to find it on sale somewhere.

Went for the series 2 Sport watch myself. Not sure that GPS, brighter screen & better water resistance are truly worth the extra $100, though.

I agree ... plus I'm thinking about all the power drain that could come from the GPS and the brighter screen : will a slightly thicker battery be enough ? Depending on the use, we could have a paradox : AW1 batteries could last longer than AW2 ... if you really don't care about GPS (maybe because you have your iPhone always with you) and a brighter screen, and if you don't swim or plan to do it, why should you buy AW2 ?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The processor is the only real difference. I do believe Apple has essentially discontinued the original watch (old processor), so that ay become difficult to buy. Of course you could probably pretty easily find one used for pretty cheap.

The new series one starts at $269 though. I personally think thats a damn good price. You essentially get the second gen watch without the higher level of waterproofing and gps for $100 discount. If I didn't want the gps I would have gone that route.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Best Buy has the original Apple Watch on sale. The sport model was going for $189-219 but sold out in the last hour. The 38mm stainless steel starts at $250. Still, I'd get the series one for $269 +

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I spent 4 hours yesterday trying to decide the same thing. I ended up getting the Series 1. I always carry my phone, so GPS isn't much use to me and I don't swim much. I just hope we don't find out the Series 2 is indeed faster (for whatever reason) after they start arriving. I never got a solid answer about Series 1 vs Series 2 with regards to the GPU ...they mostly just say CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.