Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportwatchsd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
The sensor on the back of my original Space Grey Apple Watch Sport separated from my watch yesterday morning when I took my watch off of its charging puck. I immediately contacted Apple and I am thrill to report that this is a known defect and that they are replacing my 2 year old watch. I am sending it off to Apple on Monday. What are the odds that I can get them to swap me for an aluminum watch? Just not so enamored with my space grey...

Last edited:

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
The sensor on the back of my original Space Grey Apple Watch Sport separated from my watch yesterday morning when I took my watch off of its charging puck. I immediately contacted Apple and I am thrill to report that this is a known defect and that they are replacing my 2 year old watch. I am sending it off to Apple on Monday. What are the odds that I can get them to swap me for an aluminum watch? Just not so enamored with my space grey...

If it's an original model ("Series 0") you might be upgraded to a Series 1 model…
And more details about the policy you're being covered under…

sportwatchsd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2017
Yes, I do have the Series 0. I am wondering if Apple would honor a request to switch out for the Aluminum for the Space Grey? What do you think? Actually, the Apple Support email I received indicates they are replacing my Apple Watch... so I assume they will replace with the S-1. Curious if I should contact them ahead of sending in my damaged watch to request aluminum instead of space grey?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes, I do have the Series 0. I am wondering if Apple would honor a request to switch out for the Aluminum for the Space Grey? What do you think? Actually, the Apple Support email I received indicates they are replacing my Apple Watch... so I assume they will replace with the S-1. Curious if I should contact them ahead of sending in my damaged watch to request aluminum instead of space grey?

Chance are you replacement box is already labeled and getting ready to ship if not shipped already. Does not hurt to ask but do not be disappointed if they can not comply.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Going off what was told to me from Apple years back, I don't think Apple will switch out one Apple Watch color for another. They typically will give you the exact same model of whatever you had in return. The same applies the iPhones iPads and MacBooks. So whatever configuration you had prior, is exactly what you will receive in return. That is, unless they make an exception.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.