Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you use and why?

• Apple Music

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Spotify

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters

sbkevinmichael

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Anaheim, CA
So im a spotify user......
The whole 20 millions songs on your wrist with AW3 is awesome and all but I can't do that with spotify right?
Also how do you pair my powerbeats 3 with just my watch? is it possible?

Is apple music way better than spotify?

POLL ABOVE
SPOTIFY OR APPLE MUSIC
LET ME KNOW WHY!

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Dumb question maybe, but is there something preventing Spotify from making an Apple Watch app?

I’m currently subscribed to both (I know; i’m an idiot) because I listen to Spotify in the background on my PS4 and use Apple Music on all other devices. I like them both.

sbkevinmichael

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Dumb question maybe, but is there something preventing Spotify from making an Apple Watch app?

I’m currently subscribed to both (I know; i’m an idiot) because I listen to Spotify in the background on my PS4 and use Apple Music on all other devices. I like them both.
I honestly don't know im thinking its apple sucking me dry for every penny

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
These services are basically a warehouse of songs. If one warehouse has more songs than the others then it could be considered 'better'. They both have around the same number so I can't quite see how the one will be better than the others.
I had used Spotify and now I'm using Apple Music. I don't find my listening habit has been changed or different. Only that Apple Music is more integrated to Apple devices like you can use Siri for example. Not sure if Spotify can use her now or not but sometimes just be able to say "play something I like" is very convenient.
I always go for Apple services because Apple's is an integrated system, and so far my experience is very good. I even use Apple Map and it serves me really well.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I’ve really enjoyed the curated playlists in Apple Music. My Favorites, My New Music and My Chill Mix are also almost always spot on. But honest, the biggest deal for me was Siri. Being able to ask for what I want in my car or on my motorcycle headset is what does it for me.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007

There was a programmer working on one but it's apparently one of those projects that never gets past the puff "sign up for more information when we're ready to release" stage. I didn't bother since the amount of time that had elapsed makes me pretty sure the guy lost interest.

I can always use the built-in media controls that also play/pause Netflix.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I switched to Spotify family because I moved to a Note 8 and Gear S3, and the only app on the Gear S3 that supports both LTE streaming and downloading music is Spotify. So far I like it. I find the curated playlists on Spotify to be better than what I got on Apple Music, and it has a lot of great features. I actually came here looking to see if there are any gaps that my family will experience on their iPhones. Is it true that Siri can't talk to Spotify.? If so, that's a shame. Google Assistant has no problem playing Spotify music.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I’ve been a Spotify user for many years and it’s been great. Almost all the music I ever searched for has been there.

I’ve been waiting for ages for the Spotify watch app with offline playlists for my runs and it just never happened.

When WatchOS 4 came out with the new amazing music UI, I ditched Spotify and switched to Apple Music. Done waiting for that app.

Used an app to transfer playlists and it’s been almost perfect

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I’ve been a Spotify user for many years and it’s been great. Almost all the music I ever searched for has been there.

I’ve been waiting for ages for the Spotify watch app with offline playlists for my runs and it just never happened.

When WatchOS 4 came out with the new amazing music UI, I ditched Spotify and switched to Apple Music. Done waiting for that app.

Used an app to transfer playlists and it’s been almost perfect

Its funny that I did just the opposite! It is strange that Spotify built such an App for Gear S3, but now AW, which has a larger number of potential customers. I wonder if Apple in any way inhibited them from creating it?

The app you used to transfer playlists... do you know if it goes the other way? My daughter has a lot of playlists she uses for her work that would take a long time to recreate.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
Does Apple Music allow one to load music on to the watch, say a few playlists, to be available offline? I don't have the need for the LTE series 3 but it would be nice to have some music saved on the watch for running. Doubt its possible because they want you to use LTE or buy songs on iTunes and load it that way. Ugh

Reactions: xDKP

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Does Apple Music allow one to load music on to the watch, say a few playlists, to be available offline? I don't have the need for the LTE series 3 but it would be nice to have some music saved on the watch for running. Doubt its possible because they want you to use LTE or buy songs on iTunes and load it that way. Ugh

Of course you can. How else people without LTE watch will listen to music? We're doing this since the original watch & watchOS 1.

Reactions: Dizle

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
If you have already seen my App Soundly - Music Player, you can play music from SoundCloud without the need of your iPhone.

Next logical step would be Spotify, and I have been trying to figure out a way to authenticate using the watch. Being that there is no browser, it’s difficult. I can sign in on the iPhone and pass the token to the watch, but that token will expire after a short time and will need to be refreshed.

Never the less, it is possible. It’s just a matter of time!

Sam

Reactions: Dizle

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Its funny that I did just the opposite! It is strange that Spotify built such an App for Gear S3, but now AW, which has a larger number of potential customers. I wonder if Apple in any way inhibited them from creating it?

The app you used to transfer playlists... do you know if it goes the other way? My daughter has a lot of playlists she uses for her work that would take a long time to recreate.

Yes it goes a lot of ways between a lot of different services - not just Apple Music and Spotify.

It’s called Stamp - think it was around $10

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I mainly use Spotify for it’s interface. I find it easier to find new music, and prefer their playlists. I do have an Apple Music subscription too though, and do use it on my AW for working out, and in the car via CarPlay. I like AM’s integration, and wish Spotify had the same. It’s sure nice to be able to get music playing with Siri.

iThink Apple

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2011
If you have already seen my App Soundly - Music Player, you can play music from SoundCloud without the need of your iPhone.

Next logical step would be Spotify, and I have been trying to figure out a way to authenticate using the watch. Being that there is no browser, it’s difficult. I can sign in on the iPhone and pass the token to the watch, but that token will expire after a short time and will need to be refreshed.

Never the less, it is possible. It’s just a matter of time!

Sam

Go Sam! That would be amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.