Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andi8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Hi all, I have a question for the community. I noticed that on my son's Apple Watch Ultra 2, the digital crown rotates much more easily than on the Ultra 1. There is almost no resistance on the new version and I wonder if it is a possible defect. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Otherwise, everything works, but you can literally turn it and have the feeling that it turns by itself.

Duffman19

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2022
I had the exact same reaction when I first received mine. I feel like maybe there’s a little more resistance after a week of use. Maybe not. Hard to tell.

I think there may have been an issue with the original AWU crown being too stiff in cold conditions (can’t recall where I might have read that). If so, maybe Apple has adjusted the crown resistance on the U2 to compensate.

Reactions: Andi8

Andi8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Thank you very much for your feedback. I was still in the Apple Store yesterday for a pickup and had the opportunity to test the U2 again on site. And literally all models were exactly as already described.

@Duffman19 Thanks for the information. Could actually make sense.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi all, I have a question for the community. I noticed that on my son's Apple Watch Ultra 2, the digital crown rotates much more easily than on the Ultra 1. There is almost no resistance on the new version and I wonder if it is a possible defect. Has anyone had similar experiences?

Otherwise, everything works, but you can literally turn it and have the feeling that it turns by itself.
Mine is the same as the first generation. I did not notice any difference before I traded my old one. Interesting 🤔 and thank you for sharing this to us.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I find that every new AW I've owned has a much more "fluid" digital crown. After a while, it "tightens" up, which I have always attributed to gunk and grime that collects in moving parts over time.

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Mine is to hard to rotate. Sometimes it good sometimes I can not rotate Menu, maybe I do not understand how does it works

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Thank you very much for your feedback. I was still in the Apple Store yesterday for a pickup and had the opportunity to test the U2 again on site. And literally all models were exactly as already described.

@Duffman19 Thanks for the information. Could actually make sense.
My new Series 9 has a much looser spin than my Series 7 did. Seems ok though. It hasn’t bothered me.

hmmmmmmmm

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
I find that every new AW I've owned has a much more "fluid" digital crown. After a while, it "tightens" up, which I have always attributed to gunk and grime that collects in moving parts over time.

Mine is to hard to rotate. Sometimes it good sometimes I can not rotate Menu, maybe I do not understand how does it works

If this happens just run some warm water from a faucet over the crown while rotating it and pressing it, it will free it up. That’s what Apple told me when I asked them awhile ago

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My new Series 9 has a much looser spin than my Series 7 did. Seems ok though. It hasn’t bothered me.
Same. Less resistance on my Ultra 2 as compared with my Series 7 Hermes. But not pathologically loose... just lighter and smoother.
Hasn't been any kind of an issue, however, except for sometimes activating the widgets when putting my hand in my pocket (which is annoying but the fault of watchOS 10 and not the crown).

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
So glad I found this thread! Thought I was going crazy and glad it’s not my imagination. Traded in my launch day Ultra 1 for the 2. Noticed immediately on the 2, how much more freely the crown rotates. I personally don’t like it at all. Still keeping it though. 🤷‍♂️

77sunsetstrip

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
I really hate the loose crown on the Ultra 2. When I scroll down slowly, the watch face flickers slightly before the Smart Stack appears. Anyone else seeing this?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
It has also been confirmed that the crown on the U2 is a little bit smaller than on the U1.

bricktop_at

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2017
Actually I prefer how the crown handles on the Ultra 2, compared to the Ultra 1.

On the plus side of being different in resistance when turning it, it‘s an easy way to check which one is which (at least easier than comparing the size of the orange rings)😅

• Haha
Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Actually I prefer how the crown handles on the Ultra 2, compared to the Ultra 1.

On the plus side of being different in resistance when turning it, it‘s an easy way to check which one is which (at least easier than comparing the size of the orange rings)😅
What, snoopy isn’t moving faster on the Ultra 2? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bricktop_at
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.