Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
The little weather notification is always wrong on my watch and differs drastically from the weather app on my phone. I know this has been posted before but I've tried all the suggestions (deleting all other cities, resetting your watch and phone, etc) and it's still always wrong. My wife's is always wrong too. I've read that the watch and the phone get their weather info from different sources, so maybe whoever supplies the weather for the watch just sucks, but it does fluctuate around throughout the day and is sometimes pretty close to accurate.

My phone says it is currently 69 with a high of 68... that's an acceptable mistake. My watch at the same moment says it's 67 (also acceptable variation) with a high of 84. That's what it said this morning so I was expecting a much nicer day. Since I've been typing this I just saw it go from a high of 84, to a high of 67 and back to a high of 84. I can't imagine my wife and I are the only ones with this issue. I figured it was a bug that would have been worked out by now but we've had these watches for like 6 months, and WatchOS has been out for a couple years now I think.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3390.PNG
    IMG_3390.PNG
    834 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 433

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
This problem started for me recently. The correct weather is there when clicking the weather shown but the weather that stays on the face is wrong. This was one of my most favorite complications. This is ridiculous that it doesn't work.

Reactions: SDColorado

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
DarkSky is always wrong here. Probably why it was ranked 6th or 7th in accuracy for this area.

Weather Live, which gets its data from Foreca, has been spot on in this area. I forget who turned me on to that app in these forums last month, but thanks who ever you were :)
I have an app that uses Foreca. I don't find it any more accurate, and it doesn't move with me like Dark Sky.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
I think the high and lows are reporting tomorrow's numbers. I would imagine it's a bug, but that's what it seems like its doing lately.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Probably why it was ranked 6th or 7th in accuracy for this area.
Is there a ranking somewhere? Could you link me to it?

Problem with weather apps is that they're always wrong, that's just the nature of weather, but it's hard to tell how wrong how often. If there's a site somewhere that's actually done the statistics, I'd love to see it!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Is there a ranking somewhere? Could you link me to it?

Problem with weather apps is that they're always wrong, that's just the nature of weather, but it's hard to tell how wrong how often. If there's a site somewhere that's actually done the statistics, I'd love to see it!

Yes sir, add your zip code in the field and it will give you a report for last year and last month for your area.

http://www.forecastadvisor.com

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yes sir, add your zip code in the field and it will give you a report for last year and last month for your area.

http://www.forecastadvisor.com
Thanks! For anyone else looking, it might be more reliable to go in through their "browse" interface. I was having problem getting the search interface to work properly, even with common cities.

This is a good thing-- especially with the explosion of weather apps out there, I feel like it would be useful to have an independent monitor to evaluate their performance. Dark Sky has an amazing interface, and the hyperlocal approach is cool, but they really need to work on their overall accuracy. I hope they're tracking their performance internally as well.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Here is another detailed report from Foreastwatch, released last year and composed of 2015 data, if you want to have a look. It isn't specific to local regions though, as forecastadvisor is, but DarkSky also lags in this report.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I am still seeing similar problems in 2021 with the temperature data and projections being different in the app than on my watch. Even worse is the consistent under-projections of temperatures. For a few weeks the temperature here in Silicon Valley has been projected in the low 70s but it's at least 10 degrees warmer every day, 85+ some days. The projected temperature will rise throughout the day, for example today the high was shown as 70 in the morning, it rose to 73 by late morning, 75 by the early afternoon and 81 by late afternoon. Looking at the 10-day forecast at the end of the day shows how off things are when the current day's high is say 83 and the rest of the week is supposed to be 71-73. At this point I just expect every day to be 10+ degrees warmer than the morning or previous evening's forecast. We don't have dramatic weather changes here (no rain from May to October basically) so knowing whether it's going to be just warm or hot is important information for planning your activities. Not too impressive for being in Apple's backyard.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
It’s the same with mine too. It shouldn’t matter that I’m still using an old-school S3, so I have no clue what the problem is. Then again, being in Florida, the weather changes every time a cloud goes by, so who knows? I just try changing locations hoping to “reset” it. For example, I got into the pool the other day, and it said “location unavailable”. I step out - literally a few feet from the pool - and it told me the correct location… Siri is more useful than that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.