Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Charming. Was having a look at Apple's site - just dreaming about the future. And what caught my eye was that I could trade-up a Mac for up to NZ$1400 off. Wow! Must check out what my cMP 4,1 > 5,1 (see my sig for my specs) might get me. And immediately had that sinking feeling. Apple will kindly recycle my cMP for free - i.e. it's worthless. Bloody mongrels!! (I have stronger words) I feel like crying. I honestly cannot see a day when my cMP will be worth nothing to anyone. Long live the classic cheese grater.

upload_2019-7-26_21-8-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-26_21-8-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-26_21-8-40.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 265
Reactions: Synchro3

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
.. Must check out what my cMP 4,1 > 5,1 (see my sig for my specs) might get me. And immediately had that sinking feeling. Apple will kindly recycle my cMP for free - i.e. it's worthless

First, the 4,1 has been on Apples Obsolete list for over a year . So it isn’t even worth ‘boneyard parts’ to them . If waiting until your product goes off the bottom of the supported list, then not going to get max dollars for that .

Second, recycling costs money . So it is far more so that 4,1 is not worth more than the recycling costs . That isn’t worthless; just not worth enough to be significant . Apple will take it even if recycle costs are higher than raw materials recovery ,but that makes the overall aggregate recycling costs go higher ( not so quite obsolete products have to partially offset costs of negative costs ones ) .

If someone buys the 4,1 to use it that is a different equation . If using it to generate value versus it simply costing more money ( e.g. responsibly recycle the materials ) then those buyers will pay more . The payment in that context can be recovered or at least has utility.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
It's not like Apple is going to be able to buy your Mac Pro and resell it.

Which is the point of the trade in program. They aren't paying you a few hundred bucks just because they're nice people. They're paying you that because they're going to resell it.

They sell a lot of old phones in lower income countries.

(They won't offer money for a 5,1 either.)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It's not like Apple is going to be able to buy your Mac Pro and resell it.

Which is the point of the trade in program. They aren't paying you a few hundred bucks just because they're nice people. They're paying you that because they're going to resell it.

Resell some of them . Ones with cracked screens , 3rd part fixes , case damage , etc they will disassemble . Additionally if the6 get ‘too many ‘ trade ends some will get pulled off the market also . They aren’t going to pour s9 many into resale market to tank the prices there significantly .

They sell a lot of old phones in lower income countries.

Direct as refurbished or ‘sell’ as Applecare/warranty replacement? Or as bulk supplier to brokers/retail ?

(They won't offer money for a 5,1 either.)

It too relatively recently went on Vintage & Obsolete list also .

That cost doesn’t work so well outside of ‘make it rain money’ projects is same problem they will have with Mac Pro worldwide . There are a couple of areas this new pricing may not be hugely harmful , but even more areas where this will be a dud . ( especially in context of what will ship from competitors over next 12 months ) .

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
It comes down to what you need.

If you just surf the net there's nothing wrong with using a pumped up cMP 4,1>5,1 for a few more years yet.

if high quality audio / video is your target then it's either a Hackintosh or a 2019 Mac Pro.

If i it's serious gaming then it has to be a sophisticated D.I.Y PC build with all the goodies.

But I .. .still absolutely adore my 4,1>5.1 cMP. . this very quote " 4, 1>5,1 cM P " shows you what "customization & upgradibility" REALLY means.

Think about it. . . what they COULD do back in 2009 .. . and . .. what they CAN do in 2019.

PC retailers regard this as an athema.

Done

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Definitely sell it on eBay or Craigslist. It'll be a long time before it is worth nothing. PowerMac G5's still fetch a decent price. Really any functional Mac is worth something. Even when they are too slow to be of much use to the average person. Collectors still buy any model and find some use for it or let it sit. Physical condition of the case becomes very important.

Even a dead G5 or Mac Pro has some value. A primo case can get over $100. Either for someone using it to rehouse a working unit or performing an ATX mod. Like I did.

Local sales will make you more money. Shipping fees are a killer. Plus if you don't do a really good job protecting the handles. They are easily mangled while shipping. You might end up eating the cost of shipping both ways.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
What are they going to do with it? For Apple or their third-party partners, it's a heap of junk (i.e. Apple can't use the parts, and there's no market for it outside of the niche enthusiast community).

You can still extract a lot of value from it, though, as I understand you've been doing

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I got the same thing for my 2018 MacBook Pro i9!!!

That's terrible!

Yeah, I'm holding onto my cMP. Actually I just bought another 8-core cMP 4,1 (NZ$500 = US$330) that I'll upgrade to 5,1and dual 6-core X5680's, throw a Metal GPU card, PCIe 3.0 card and NVMe boot or SATA SSD drive in and sell for a pretty price. There's a healthy market for these here in NZ (fingers crossed).

But I .. .still absolutely adore my 4,1>5.1 cMP.
That brand loyalty few companies ever achieve. I'm with ya bruh.

First, the 4,1 has been on Apples Obsolete list for over a year . So it isn’t even worth ‘boneyard parts’ to them . If waiting until your product goes off the bottom of the supported list, then not going to get max dollars for that .

Second, recycling costs money . So it is far more so that 4,1 is not worth more than the recycling costs . That isn’t worthless; just not worth enough to be significant . Apple will take it even if recycle costs are higher than raw materials recovery ,but that makes the overall aggregate recycling costs go higher ( not so quite obsolete products have to partially offset costs of negative costs ones ) .

If someone buys the 4,1 to use it that is a different equation . If using it to generate value versus it simply costing more money ( e.g. responsibly recycle the materials ) then those buyers will pay more . The payment in that context can be recovered or at least has utility.
And you're absolutely right. Here I am thinking my cMP is worth the world to me, and it is, but honestly - aside from us enthusiasts and a few others, who for whatever reason can't let them go or don't want to upgrade (just yet) - they are juggernauts that are pricey to run (energy-wise) and can be recycled into something pretty like lamp shades, or a microwave oven, or…a rather dished up fish tank. So creds to Apple for their recycling initiatives and efforts.

I've filled out my "hurt feelings form" - anyone know where I send it to now? :D

Reactions: s15119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.