Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Yesterday, I found from my 2010 iMac the wired Apple Keyboard. Then I use it for my MDD G4 running Sorbet. I like the current Apple keyboard keys better than old G4 version. However, after I wrote something for several minutes, the continuous beeping sound as if one accidentally press one of the keys continuously.
Does anyone experience something like mine? Is my Apple Keyboard the culprit one?

Yesterday, I found from my 2010 iMac the wired Apple Keyboard. Then I use it for my MDD G4 running Sorbet. I like the current Apple keyboard keys better than old G4 version. However, after I wrote something for several minutes, the continuous beeping sound as if one accidentally press one of the keys continuously.
Does anyone experience something like mine? Is my Apple Keyboard the culprit one?

It’s hard to know without doing more testing. I’m guessing you’re referring to the A1242 keyboard.

You might want to open keyboard character viewer and set it over to the side, to see whether a sticky key is causing the beeping sounds:

1650944936404.png

If it is a sticky key, it would probably show as being pressed down (or pressed down for much longer than you actually pressed it). If so, then you might need to soak your keyboard in 99 per cent isopropyl alcohol for, say, overnight, and let it dry out over the next day or so. This is what I had to do in order to get my A1243 running smoothly.

Alternately, if this isn’t the culprit, then there is a possibility that the beeping issues may originate with the undocumented hacks contained in the build of Leopard you’re using. If in doubt, connect your keyboard to another Mac running an Apple-supplied version of OS X or macOS and see whether you’re still having the same issues in that environment.

Reactions: flatjuba

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
If it is a sticky key, it would probably show as being pressed down (or pressed down for much longer than you actually pressed it). If so, then you might need to soak your keyboard in 99 per cent isopropyl alcohol for, say, overnight, and let it dry out over the next day or so. This is what I had to do in order to get my A1243 running smoothly.
Soak entirely or just the one having the problem with stickiness?

Soak entirely or just the one having the problem with stickiness?

When I cleaned out my A1243, I found a flat tub (like a Rubbermaid-type container) to pour the alcohol over all the keys. Then, I flipped the keyboard upside-down and closed the container lid (to slow down evaporation and to ensure the soaking could reach as many of the internals as possible).

After a few hours (for me, this was overnight), I opened the lid, gently agitated back and forth the submerged keyboard (still upside-down in the alcohol), to jostle loosened old dirt which had been settled and stuck inside of there.

Then, I took an old toothbrush to remove any gunk left on the sides and faces of individual keys. Next, I removed the keyboard from the tub and let it dry for a day or so, changing its position from face-down, to face-up, and also leaning it vertically against a wall, to make sure the residual alcohol could find its way out. Fortunately, with 99 per cent alcohol, this tends to be pretty quick and thorough, even in humid places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.