Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
So, it looks like I'm going to get my iPhone 8 Plus through the IUP. I've had iPhones all the way back to the 3G but never gotten AppleCare+ ... until now. So my question is this: For those of you that get AppleCare+, do you also get a case and/or screen cover for your iPhone? Or do you take the risk and let AppleCare+ cover any damage(s)?

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
AppleCare doesn't cover cosmetic damage. Of course I use a case. I always sell my phone for the maximum.
That's my line of thinking as well - maximize the trade-in value. Do you go with a screen protector as well?

I ask because I'm looking at this LifeProof case. I've had good luck with LifeProof in the past but this new design doesn't come with a screen protector.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I've never gotten it on my iPhones since the original (did they offer it then?). i'll be getting AC+ for the X and go caseless for the first time.

Reactions: chabig

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My only concern is breaking a screen, and it’s cheaper to replace than buying AC+. I rock the phone naked and wing it.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
My only concern is breaking a screen, and it’s cheaper to replace than buying AC+. I rock the phone naked and wing it.
Yeah, the screen itself is cheaper AppleCare+ is $150 and includes coverage on other things as well.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I've had a case on every iPhone. Screen protector also. I've been pretty good at keeping my phones looking almost mint condition. I've dropped the 6 Plus only twice in 3 years and if i didnt have a case on it, the way it hit the concrete..top left corner, no question it would have shattered the front or internal damage. I dont think Im being overprotective, if Im shelling out big bucks for these phones, I'm gonna keep this thing looking flawless as possible.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
For my 6, I have a case and screen protector on it. I take really good care of my iPhones but ...

I went to put it on the night stand one night, missed, and bam. It fell about 3 feet, which is nothing. But it hit the floor in the wrong spot I guess, cracked the screen, and took out a little chunk of glass. It was a freak accident but it sucks having a cracked screen.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, the screen itself is cheaper AppleCare+ is $150 and includes coverage on other things as well.

$200 for the X. Plus most people do not have total replacements for their phone.
[doublepost=1506105722][/doublepost]
I've had a case on every iPhone. Screen protector also. I've been pretty good at keeping my phones looking almost mint condition. I've dropped the 6 Plus only twice in 3 years and if i didnt have a case on it, the way it hit the concrete..top left corner, no question it would have shattered the front or internal damage. I dont think Im being overprotective, if Im shelling out big bucks for these phones, I'm gonna keep this thing looking flawless as possible.

Internal damage is not going to happen unless you crush your phone.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I always have gotten a case and screen protector. With my 8+ I plan on going case only. All of the screen protectors really, really, really suck, in my opinion. None completely cover the display area leaving a halo effect / rainbow line around the entire side edges of the screen. It has become incredibly distracting to me and I hate it. I always have a dedicated pants pocket for my phone so I *should* be OK re: micro scratches. After 1 year of use my screen protector on my 7 does not have any micro scratches so I think I'll be fine.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
No matter what, I have Apple Care, and a Case.
Like someone else stated, I'm often looking for maximum sale volume in 12-14 months...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.