Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCare for iMac

• Purchased AppleCare

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Didn't bother

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Wished you did

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I passed on AppleCare when buying my 2020 iMac. I can understand getting AppleCare for a MacBook as it gets bumped around a lot and prone to damage, but my iMac will, more or less, sit untouched. I got AppleCare for my last iMac (15,1) and I never had a reason to use it, so it turned out to be wasted money.

Anyone have an opinion on this or a feelgood story where AppleCare saved their ass, specifically for an iMac?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I passed on AppleCare when buying my 2020 iMac. I can understand getting AppleCare for a MacBook as it gets bumped around a lot and prone to damage, but my iMac will, more or less, sit untouched. I got AppleCare for my last iMac (15,1) and I never had a reason to use it, so it turned out to be wasted money.

Anyone have an opinion on this or a feelgood story where AppleCare saved their ass, specifically for an iMac?

In this forum, there was a guy lives in Thailand claimed to have had Apple Service Centers provided him with 3 new iMacs for free in 10 years, each at near the end of his old iMac AppleCare expiration. He just needed to purchase AppleCare for each new iMac he received.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
I have owned four Macs over the past 14 years (3 iMacs and 1 Mac Pro). Three of them have needed repair within the first three years of purchase. The superior quality of Macs is a complete myth in my opinion. That includes desktop Macs. So I highly suggest buying AppleCare. But you can postpone the decision since you can wait up to a year after purchase before buying AppleCare for a product.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I've only used the hardware portion of Applecare a couple of times. But I have made hundreds of calls to Apple Support which makes Apple Care a steal.

Reactions: decypher44

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have owned four Macs over the past 14 years (3 iMacs and 1 Mac Pro). Three of them have needed repair within the first three years of purchase. The superior quality of Macs is a complete myth in my opinion. That includes desktop Macs. So I highly suggest buying AppleCare. But you can postpone the decision since you can wait up to a year after purchase before buying AppleCare for a product.
For what type of repair ?

cltd

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
I had nine my own Macs (including 4 laptops), I bought AppleCare 5 times. Of those 5, 4 Macs had problems few years after Apple Care passed (1. Macbook Pro died motherboard 2. iMac White dead GPU 3. iMac Alu dead GPU 4. Macbook Pro dead hard drive). Fifth Apple Care Macbook Pro stil runs fine, however its Apple Care is over due to date.
So, I spend a lot of money on Apple Care but never had any use of it. Will I buy Apple Care for next Mac? Probably yes, this is like car insurance ;)

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
For what type of repair ?
First iMac needed the entire display changed. This is over 10 years ago so I don't recall the exact symptoms. With the Mac Pro I had several issues but I believe the only thing that happened under AppleCare was a broken optical drive that needed replacing. The next iMac had a broken PSU that needed replacing. And later on the fans started going crazy (but sadly after AppleCare had expired). Luckily, my current iMac has not needed repairs yet (and AppleCare has expired).

I definitely recommend AppleCare for anyone buying an expensive Apple product such as a Mac. I wouldn't buy AppleCare for something like an iPad or iPhone though.

• Sad
Reactions: pldelisle

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I had nine my own Macs (including 4 laptops), I bought AppleCare 5 times. Of those 5, 4 Macs had problems few years after Apple Care passed (1. Macbook Pro died motherboard 2. iMac White dead GPU 3. iMac Alu dead GPU 4. Macbook Pro dead hard drive). Fifth Apple Care Macbook Pro stil runs fine, however its Apple Care is over due to date.
So, I spend a lot of money on Apple Care but never had any use of it. Will I buy Apple Care for next Mac? Probably yes, this is like car insurance ;)

Thanks, but this reaffirms what I already thought - you really need AppleCare on MacBooks, but for iMacs, it's a dicey investment!

Reactions: 0279317

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I've only used the hardware portion of Applecare a couple of times. But I have made hundreds of calls to Apple Support which makes Apple Care a steal.

AppleCare.png

I've noticed that on AppleCare, there is a special section referring to telephone support which doesn't make sense to me because whenever I have a problem, I could ALWAYS to go to support.apple.com and either chat or talk with someone regardless if I have AppleCare or not. Is there some "special" telephone line for AppleCare customers or something?

Reactions: 0279317

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
you really need AppleCare on MacBooks

This, I have always found that if a MacBook gets past 3 years it will do fine for 3 more, there appears based on the anecdotal evidence I have seen that if you get a problem device it will show up within 2. Therefore AC is wise as the cost of repairs is frankly ridiculous even when the fault could be classed as minor.

but for iMacs, it's a dicey investment!

Apple is no different to other companies, you may be paying a premium to Apple but that does not necessarily improve reliability. Electronic components fail at all price ranges. It's all about peace of mind. If that 5k screen goes, or the motherboard the repair cost will be far in excess of AC. Given the amount you are spending on an iMac an extra couple of hundred should not be a big ask.

Easy to say it is wasted money when you don't claim but you will feel really bad not taking it and getting a 1k bill.

Reactions: sracer and hoodafoo

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
Thanks, but this reaffirms what I already thought - you really need AppleCare on MacBooks, but for iMacs, it's a dicey investment!
I don't know how you got to that conclusion based on my experience since none of my Macs have been MacBooks. I can only say that I'm glad I had AppleCare on my desktop Macs.

Anyway, AppleCare is an insurance. If you're lucky, your money is wasted. But you only know that after the fact. :p

Edit: I just realised you weren't responding to me. Sorry about that. Anyway the above is still my advice.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I did get apple care for my iMac when I got it a little over 3 yers ago, it was my first all in one device so that was somewhat of a scare factor ... did not need it, nothing wrong with the HW, but it gave me peace of mind

Reactions: hoodafoo

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
I'm curious what your logic is for not insuring phones. To me, that's the device subject to the most abuse/damage
First, I generally only insure products that are so expensive that I may not be able to afford replacing them. Though iPhones and iPads certainly aren't cheap, I can afford to buy a new one if it breaks. I tend to buy the top model Macs but if I bought one of the less expensive ones, I might not insure that. Strangely, it seems like AppleCare costs the same no matter the price of the Mac.

Second, the price of AppleCare for iPhones is outrageously high compared to those for macs. It's something like 25-30% of the purchase price. For Macs it's more like 5-10%.

Third, I don't abuse my phones. :p

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I used mine when my display started showing severe image retention in the last year of AppleCare. The price of the repair would have far exceeded the cost of the AppleCare agreement, so that's a win in my book.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
First, I generally only insure products that are so expensive that I may not be able to afford replacing them. Though iPhones and iPads certainly aren't cheap, I can afford to buy a new one if it breaks. I tend to buy the top model Macs but if I bought one of the less expensive ones, I might not insure that. Strangely, it seems like AppleCare costs the same no matter the price of the Mac.

Second, the price of AppleCare for iPhones is outrageously high compared to those for macs. It's something like 25-30% of the purchase price. For Macs it's more like 5-10%.

Third, I don't abuse my phones. :p

1. AppleCare ++ is actually an insurance plan. At first Apple might have contracted with an insurer for it. Later on when the sales volume increase, they might have shifted to do it themselves. AppleCare ++ premium is well calculated for Apple to profit from it.

2. There was a authorized dealer here in Vietnam tried to introduce the same insurance plan (much cheaper premium), but brand bonding was not credible enough to expanding sales volume. They had to drop out quickly.

3. If you plan to use your iMac intensively in an unfriendly environment (humid, dusty, smokers, etc.), 3 year coverage of official warranty and AppleCare ++ plan is a steal.

4. AppleCare++ can be purchased from 3rd party dealer, with discounted premium.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I personally always bought AppleCare for computers.

My iPhone 5 had been replaced one week before AppleCare finished for free. The battery was dying.

First MacBook Pro Retina (literally first batch, I made the line up)had faulty screen (LG...). Replaced by Samsung display. The guy still have it.

Second and actual MacBook Pro Late 2013 faulty screen again and fried GPU(my fault, never run CUDA code and ML training for days on a laptop). Replaced both for free.

Not took it on my iPad Pro and actual iPhone XR though. iPad Pro never gets iut of home so limited risk and iPhone is in otterbox defender, limiting accidental risk too. But would definitively take it for an iMac. Repairs are too costly.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I used mine when my display started showing severe image retention in the last year of AppleCare. The price of the repair would have far exceeded the cost of the AppleCare agreement, so that's a win in my book.

Was it a completely free repair or was there a deductible? That's another thing that irks me about AC - they didn't have all these deductibles a few years back. Now every repair associated with the screen or battery has a deductible!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Was it a completely free repair or was there a deductible? That's another thing that irks me about AC - they didn't have all these deductibles a few years back. Now every repair associated with the screen or battery has a deductible!

Totally covered. It was a hardware defect. The deductibles you’re talking about, I think, are related to accidental damage?

I’ve had quite a few Macs serviced over the years under AppleCare, and I’ve never been charged for a deductible of any kind.

Reactions: hoodafoo

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I wouldn't buy AppleCare for something like an iPad or iPhone though.

Those are the products that most need it. I've had numerous phones and an iPad replaced under AppleCare.

Is there some "special" telephone line for AppleCare customers or something?

Just the regular support number. In the U.S. 800-692-7753. I use it so much I have it on speed dial.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Just the regular support number. In the U.S. 800-692-7753. I use it so much I have it on speed dial.

OK, next time I'm at the apple store, I will ask them directly what is meant by the 90-day telephone tech support and report back

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles

This is excellent reasoning. I like it. Guess I'll fork over for the AppleCare after all

sean+mac

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
I was on the fence for my new iMac (arriving this week.) As far as I can recall I've always purchased it for the Apple laptops that myself or a partner purchased, going back to the early 2000's. (Work provided MacBooks being the exception.) Practically: it has been helpful for batteries which died beyond what was reasonable, display hardware issues, keyboard fixes, maybe a (mechanical) hard drive fix and more than I can probably remember in all of those years. Unrelated to paid warranty I've even had a few out-of-warranty repairs be provided: most recently for the display coating issue seen on some older 2014/2015 MacBook Pro models. The Authorized Service location had my 2015 Pro back to me with a brand new display within a week. The machine looked like new – and it was nice to get rid of that funky purple UV effect around all of the edges.

I've always had solid experiences with Apple and Apple Authorized service, and having Apple Care just makes it so much easier and less stressful to get a hardware issue resolved. Especially for flaky batteries that die well before they should, cycles wise.

When it came to having a desktop I was feeling similar to you because this computer isn't going through the same beating everyday that a laptop would. And it has no batteries. I try to avoid extended warranties generally, preferring to pay for a repair or replacement out of pocket, but for some purchases it makes more sense. (It helps purchasing using a credit card that extends manufacturer warranties as well.)

This is the first iMac I have purchased new and I almost didn't add AppleCare it to the shopping cart.

But in the end I decided to get it: Macintosh repairs can be complicated (thus expensive) and wanted I opted for the ease of repairs should the iMac have a major issue in the next few years. I am of the opinion that most issues will typically show up in the first few years. While some of my Macs have had warranty-covered issues, one has never died on me past the AppleCare period. And many of the devices I've owned I sold or gifted to people in my life, so I've seen how long they've lasted them.

The last factor that pushed me over the edge was the international nature of Apple Warranty. You can get things fixed all over the world. I've lived abroad, travel a lot (pre-COVID) and may one day move again. If this iMac comes with me, I'd feel even better shipping it across the world knowing I book an appoint with any Apple Store should an issue pop up.

One nice new addition in the past year is the inclusion coverage for accidental damage: "Up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $129 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $379 for other damage, plus applicable tax" (Canada.)

It sounds like you are already convinced to get it, but I just wanted to share what went into my thinking.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I was on the fence for my new iMac (arriving this week.) As far as I can recall I've always purchased it for the Apple laptops that myself or a partner purchased, going back to the early 2000's. (Work provided MacBooks being the exception.) Practically: it has been helpful for batteries which died beyond what was reasonable, display hardware issues, keyboard fixes, maybe a (mechanical) hard drive fix and more than I can probably remember in all of those years. Unrelated to paid warranty I've even had a few out-of-warranty repairs be provided: most recently for the display coating issue seen on some older 2014/2015 MacBook Pro models. The Authorized Service location had my 2015 Pro back to me with a brand new display within a week. The machine looked like new – and it was nice to get rid of that funky purple UV effect around all of the edges.

I've always had solid experiences with Apple and Apple Authorized service, and having Apple Care just makes it so much easier and less stressful to get a hardware issue resolved. Especially for flaky batteries that die well before they should, cycles wise.

When it came to having a desktop I was feeling similar to you because this computer isn't going through the same beating everyday that a laptop would. And it has no batteries. I try to avoid extended warranties generally, preferring to pay for a repair or replacement out of pocket, but for some purchases it makes more sense. (It helps purchasing using a credit card that extends manufacturer warranties as well.)

This is the first iMac I have purchased new and I almost didn't add AppleCare it to the shopping cart.

But in the end I decided to get it: Macintosh repairs can be complicated (thus expensive) and wanted I opted for the ease of repairs should the iMac have a major issue in the next few years. I am of the opinion that most issues will typically show up in the first few years. While some of my Macs have had warranty-covered issues, one has never died on me past the AppleCare period. And many of the devices I've owned I sold or gifted to people in my life, so I've seen how long they've lasted them.

The last factor that pushed me over the edge was the international nature of Apple Warranty. You can get things fixed all over the world. I've lived abroad, travel a lot (pre-COVID) and may one day move again. If this iMac comes with me, I'd feel even better shipping it across the world knowing I book an appoint with any Apple Store should an issue pop up.

One nice new addition in the past year is the inclusion coverage for accidental damage: "Up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $129 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $379 for other damage, plus applicable tax" (Canada.)

It sounds like you are already convinced to get it, but I just wanted to share what went into my thinking.

Thx, these are good points, especially intl support for those who need it. I've heard a lot of stories about stuff getting covered even after AC expires, but that's totally YMMV. Hopefully it can help others decide whether or not to spring for AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.