Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
From what I know - it doesn’t allow you to replace if you want a new one because the enclosure gets scratched up. The only thing it’ll really help you with is if the screen gets damaged which is tough to do with the sapphire

jayonegame

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
From what I know - it doesn’t allow you to replace if you want a new one because the enclosure gets scratched up. The only thing it’ll really help you with is if the screen gets damaged which is tough to do with the sapphire
There's a deductible for replacements, if you really want a replacement just destroy your watch and they refuse to even though you are willing to pay the deductible then just destroy it.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Am I correct in thinking that the bands aren’t covered? If I get AppleCare and somehow damage a band would that be eligible for replacement?

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Are you buying AppleCare for your stainless/sapphire AW?
I have had every Apple Watch (with AC) since it first came out Day 1. I haven't ever used it. But I gave my sister the first one. Her baby daughter knocked it off the table and cracked the screen. It cost like $75 to replace. Apple charges $399 Out-of-warranty service fee.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I've had the S1, S3 and now the S4 and I've never gone for the AppleCare. I think it's extremely overpriced for MY activity levels, which consist mostly of weight training and the occasional hike. I've had a scratched screen a couple of times but nothing that would warrant an AppleCare replacement. Now that I've got a sapphire screen, hopefully even that is a thing of the past.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Am I correct in thinking that the bands aren’t covered? If I get AppleCare and somehow damage a band would that be eligible for replacement?

All Apple branded products come with a one year warranty. If your band is defective you can get it replaced. The one year warranty does not cover cosmetic, accidental, or normal wear and tear damage.

All products purchased from Apple have a 14 day return window.

AppleCare will extend coverage to two years and includes more types of damage. However, it will only include the band that came with the watch and some exclusions apply.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
From My experiences, I would say the majority who purchased AppleCare, may or may not use it, but if they have to use it, they certainly are glad they did, because the repair costs sometimes can exceed the overall cost of the Apple Watch itself.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
I didn’t get it on my SS series 0 and I was fine. Screen is still in perfect condition, even while the sides have tons of scratches. But for the SS series 4, I decided to go for it, since it’s onky $79. Much cheaper than the iPhone counterpart.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
If I didn't take mine to the gym, I wouldn't purchase it. But I like the extra peace of mind in case something metal happens to hit it. Never used it in the past though with previous watches and I hope not to.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I bought AC+ for my series 0 and series 3. Based on my experience, I will not be buying it for my next Apple Watch. They easily withstand a bump from a door or table, and it is not something that is just going to fall off your wrist. If you wear watches on a regular basis, ask yourself this: Have you every broken a watch? If not, no reason to get it.

It is really easy to get in the mindset that it is a piece of technology so you need that added benefit. IMO, your phone that is constantly being pulled out of your pocket is the only device worth insuring.

Reactions: ectospheno

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I bought AC+ for my series 0 and series 3. Based on my experience, I will not be buying it for my next Apple Watch. They easily withstand a bump from a door or table, and it is not something that is just going to fall off your wrist. If you wear watches on a regular basis, ask yourself this: Have you every broken a watch? If not, no reason to get it.

It is really easy to get in the mindset that it is a piece of technology so you need that added benefit. IMO, your phone that is constantly being pulled out of your pocket is the only device worth insuring.
I feel the same way. You’re much less likely to shatter your watch screen from a drop since its usually strapped to your wrist. Unlike a phone where you walk around with it in your hands.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Yep I sure did - Verizon is not charging the right/updated price of $79.00 so I had to pay Apple the right price since my SS order was manually put in and I was half sleep I didn't ask for Apple Care when I ordered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.