Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I am buying a pre-owned Mac mini from a Mac repair shop. It’s a mom and pop place as opposed to Best Buy or the like. The Mac mini has applecare+ on it and is covered thru July of 2022.
I was under the impression that I had to have that applecare+ transferred to me by the previous owner (whoever that may be) but perhaps that is not the case? Does the applecare+ stick to the serial number from here on out such that if I buy this device it’s covered? Or can whoever used to own it just call up Apple and cancel that? I should note that the diagnostic test I performed on the machine came back clean.

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
Not sure, I have read on these forums that the AC+is by serial # not owner, but I do know the previous owner can cancel AC+ and get a refund of the prorated unused portion.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am buying a pre-owned Mac mini from a Mac repair shop. It’s a mom and pop place as opposed to Best Buy or the like. The Mac mini has applecare+ on it and is covered thru July of 2022.
I was under the impression that I had to have that applecare+ transferred to me by the previous owner (whoever that may be) but perhaps that is not the case? Does the applecare+ stick to the serial number from here on out such that if I buy this device it’s covered? Or can whoever used to own it just call up Apple and cancel that? I should note that the diagnostic test I performed on the machine came back clean.

You are supposed to have the current owner transfer to you. There is a process. Call AppleCare for details. Otherwise the previous owner can simply ask for a refund of the unused portion leaving you stuck.

sidgriffey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So if I bought it from a place where I cannot get access to the previous owner then should I consider returning it? Or can I call Apple and have them assign it to me now that I own it? I can return it by Monday afternoon but not after.
[automerge]1593878400[/automerge]
So if I bought it from a place where I cannot get access to the previous owner then should I consider returning it? Or can I call Apple and have them assign it to me now that I own it? I can return it by Monday afternoon but not after

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I would call Apple for options. Most likely apple would fix with no issue. The concern from my perspective is a cheating seller that cancels the AC+ to get a refund.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Here's the Apple support article with the instructions from April 2020:

But an interesting side note is that I've sold Macs and iOS devices with Applecare to well-known trade-in dealers and haven't had to do these steps. I provided the proof of coverage email to them but it was required or even requested. Quite a few Macs on Swappa indicate they come with Applecare. How is it done there? I also wonder how it's done when trading in directly with Apple (either in-store or via Phobio).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Here's the Apple support article with the instructions from April 2020:

But an interesting side note is that I've sold Macs and iOS devices with Applecare to well-known trade-in dealers and haven't had to do these steps. I provided the proof of coverage email to them but it was required or even requested. Quite a few Macs on Swappa indicate they come with Applecare. How is it done there? I also wonder how it's done when trading in directly with Apple (either in-store or via Phobio).

...and you likely did not know you could cancel the policy and get a partial refund. Not that you would...but this is why the issue did not come up for you.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
...and you likely did not know you could cancel the policy and get a partial refund. Not that you would...but this is why the issue did not come up for you.
Yes, I know about the refunds and have done that as well, but you get more in a trade when you include AC. If the refund amount is close enough to the trade amount, it's a draw. Regardless, that's not what I was asking about.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.