Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
I bought a iMac 21.5' 2017 on Jan. 2nd 2018 in Japan.
Regarding Applecare, according to what Apple Japan says I can buy AppleCare+ only until 30 days after purchase.
https://www.apple.com/jp/support/products/mac.html
Since I don't have money to buy it now, I want to buy normal AppleCare within the one year limited warranty period.
But no information regarding this anywhere.
Anybody having similar experiences?
And if I can go for normal AppleCare within the year do Apple normally need to check my hardware before issuing me the AppleCare plan?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't know for sure about the Japanese release, but in the US, only AppleCare + is available for the iMac.
It's 60 days from system purchase to add the ACare+
But, your page appears to show that time period is what you were told - within 30 days.
Because you are not buying ACare+ at the time of purchase, Apple can run a remote diagnostic at the time that you are ready to purchase the ACare+

You can call AppleCare about this, if you like, but you will probably get the same answer: the older AppleCare product is not available now.

Reactions: kasunchirantha

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
I don't know for sure about the Japanese release, but in the US, only AppleCare + is available for the iMac.
It's 60 days from system purchase to add the ACare+
But, your page appears to show that time period is what you were told - within 30 days.
Because you are not buying ACare+ at the time of purchase, Apple can run a remote diagnostic at the time that you are ready to purchase the ACare+

You can call AppleCare about this, if you like, but you will probably get the same answer: the older AppleCare product is not available now.

Thanks DeltaMac. Probably it seems I don't have any option other than buying it within 30 days.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
If you can still find a place to purchase the now-discontinued standard AppleCare without accidental damage coverage, you will be able to register it up to one year from the date of purchase, even on new iMacs. You can no longer do so online but a call to Apple will allow activation. I purchased the standard AppleCare from a third party seller on Amazon Japan. It was a new condition, shrink-wrapped box that was clearly some years old with images of Snow Leopard. I called Apple and activated it on my 2017 iMac with no problems.

The biggest problem may be finding a copy of AppleCare. Up until recently, LA Computer and B&H in the USA were still selling it but I guess they've run out of stock at this point. I recommend checking Amazon for it from third party sellers.

However, I highly recommend not buying activation codes on eBay. Get an unused, boxed and unopened product and you'll have no problems registering it.

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-05%20at%2014.11.39.png

Last edited:

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
If you can still find a place to purchase the now-discontinued standard AppleCare without accidental damage coverage, you will be able to register it up to one year from the date of purchase, even on new iMacs. You can no longer do so online but a call to Apple will allow activation. I purchased the standard AppleCare from a third party seller on Amazon Japan. It was a new condition, shrink-wrapped box that was clearly some years old with images of Snow Leopard. I called Apple and activated it on my 2017 iMac with no problems.

The biggest problem may be finding a copy of AppleCare. Up until recently, LA Computer and B&H in the USA were still selling it but I guess they've run out of stock at this point. I recommend checking Amazon for it from third party sellers.

However, I highly recommend not buying activation codes on eBay. Get an unused, boxed and unopened product and you'll have no problems registering it.

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-05%20at%2014.11.39.png

Thanks a lot SaSaSushi. Probably I will be able to find a old copy here in Sri Lanka since I am going to use it here and get it activated by a Apple Service Provider.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaSaSushi

kasunchirantha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Sri Lanka
Thanks a lot SaSaSushi. Probably I will be able to find a old copy here in Sri Lanka since I am going to use it here and get it activated by a Apple Service Provider.
Found a service provider from SL and luckily they don't have AppleCare+ in SL yet. So still have time to get normal AppleCare plan from them within next few months. Thank Again.

Reactions: SaSaSushi

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Found a service provider from SL and luckily they don't have AppleCare+ in SL yet. So still have time to get normal AppleCare plan from them within next few months. Thank Again.

Glad to hear it! :)

Make sure they reserve a copy for you. While Apple is still continuing to support the standard AppleCare plan it is now a diminishing commodity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.