Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiskaBiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
My iPhone 7 (T-Mobile) should arrive tomorrow.

I also have an iPhone 6 (also T-Mobile), and just finished paying it off. I requested it be unlocked, and I received an email with the instructions to backup/erase the phone and then plug unto iTunes, whereupon I got a message telling me my phone is unlocked.

The iPhone 6 has a had a crack on the lower corner of the front glass, and since it wasn't in the way I didn't bother getting it fixed. The crack recently expanded and it's definitely an issue, as well as the mute button no longer works. I have Applecare Plus for this phone, and it expires in a few weeks so I was planning on getting it swapped out at my local Apple store.

Since this phone is unlocked, will the Apple Store give me an unlocked phone as well?

What happens if I activate my iPhone 7 before getting a replacement iPhone 6? I'm concerned that if they give me a locked phone, and I've already activated (thus transferring my number) the iPhone 7, T-Mobile won't give me an unlock code for the replacement iPhone 6 because it isn't in their system.

Apple unlocks phones at the request of carriers, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.