Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Ive owned Macs for many years now, I previously worked for Apple; not once have I had a poor experience that wasn't either rectified or explained as to why and what happened.

However I have an issue that I hope someone can help with.

I bought all new Apple Products this year (iPad Pro M1...MacBook Pro 16 M1Max..iPhone 13 Pro Max etc etc etc)

During my purchases I traded in many of my older devices, and purchased all new devices in various ways; full payment on Apple Card and also Apple Card financing.

I traded in my old MacBook Pro and received $650. BEFORE I traded it in I spoke with apple representatives at the Apple Store to confirm I could use the trade in credit AND finance my NEW MacBook Pro on my Apple Card (for example purchase of $3500 new MBP mini $650 credit and FINANCE the rest on Apple's 0% 12 month offer) I was told, "Yes you can do that".

Ok, so I continue with the trade in, I receive my credit and I wait patiently for the new MBP to be announced and come on sale.

I go to make the purchase and find out...I can NOT use my credit (or any partial payment method) AND get it financed, it has to be a full purchase with credits or a full finance.

Ok fine, I then ask if I can purchase AppleCare+ with the credit on my Apple ID from the MBP trade in...I was told "Yes"

Now I go to buy AppleCare+ I can't use my Apple ID credit.

I can't buy a gift card with this credit, im just stuck.

I can not fathom how this is not possible.

Im working with the Apple Store now in seeing if I buy an item with my Apple ID credit, then return it can I get it on a gift card, they said they are not sure as it might just go back to "original payment method"

I have a pickup session scheduled for later today so I will update if I get any further info.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Ive owned Macs for many years now, I previously worked for Apple; not once have I had a poor experience that wasn't either rectified or explained as to why and what happened.

However I have an issue that I hope someone can help with.

I bought all new Apple Products this year (iPad Pro M1...MacBook Pro 16 M1Max..iPhone 13 Pro Max etc etc etc)

During my purchases I traded in many of my older devices, and purchased all new devices in various ways; full payment on Apple Card and also Apple Card financing.

I traded in my old MacBook Pro and received $650. BEFORE I traded it in I spoke with apple representatives at the Apple Store to confirm I could use the trade in credit AND finance my NEW MacBook Pro on my Apple Card (for example purchase of $3500 new MBP mini $650 credit and FINANCE the rest on Apple's 0% 12 month offer) I was told, "Yes you can do that".

Ok, so I continue with the trade in, I receive my credit and I wait patiently for the new MBP to be announced and come on sale.

I go to make the purchase and find out...I can NOT use my credit (or any partial payment method) AND get it financed, it has to be a full purchase with credits or a full finance.

Ok fine, I then ask if I can purchase AppleCare+ with the credit on my Apple ID from the MBP trade in...I was told "Yes"

Now I go to buy AppleCare+ I can't use my Apple ID credit.

I can't buy a gift card with this credit, im just stuck.

I can not fathom how this is not possible.

Im working with the Apple Store now in seeing if I buy an item with my Apple ID credit, then return it can I get it on a gift card, they said they are not sure as it might just go back to "original payment method"

I have a pickup session scheduled for later today so I will update if I get any further info.
If I understand your question, whether you're eligible for a refund of your Apple ID credit depends on your jurisdiction as described in this support article.

"If you have Apple ID balance that you can't use
You can't redeem or return Apple Gift Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, or unused Apple ID balance for cash, except as required by law. If your jurisdiction allows for refund of redeemed gift balances, you can contact Apple Support to request a refund. When you contact Apple, include the following information:
  • Your Apple ID.
  • The refund amount.
  • Your current shipping address."

Reactions: KingofGotham1

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
If I understand your question, whether you're eligible for a refund of your Apple ID credit depends on your jurisdiction as described in this support article.

"If you have Apple ID balance that you can't use
You can't redeem or return Apple Gift Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards, or unused Apple ID balance for cash, except as required by law. If your jurisdiction allows for refund of redeemed gift balances, you can contact Apple Support to request a refund. When you contact Apple, include the following information:
  • Your Apple ID.
  • The refund amount.
  • Your current shipping address."
No exactly what I was thinking at first...BUT this could solve all the problems!

Thank you so much for that info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.