Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BezHermoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Hi guys,

Am I getting the same coverage with the 1 year warranty as what I would get if I buy AppleCare on my rMBP? (Apart from it being just covering 1 year, of course.)

I am asking because I am wondering if I can just get away with getting AppleCare ~1-2 months before the initial warranty expires without missing out on certain things that AppleCare covers that the regular warranty doesn't.

Thanks in advance!

tylers67

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

Am I getting the same coverage with the 1 year warranty as what I would get if I buy AppleCare on my rMBP? (Apart from it being just covering 1 year, of course.)

I am asking because I am wondering if I can just get away with getting AppleCare ~1-2 months before the initial warranty expires without missing out on certain things that AppleCare covers that the regular warranty doesn't.

Thanks in advance!
Yes you are getting everything as if you were buying AppleCare. I believe you can still get away with adding AppleCare as long as it's before the year is up. I've even convinced Apple to add AppleCare to a 2010 Mac Pro which was actually 5 months expired at the time lol.

BezHermoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Yes you are getting everything as if you were buying AppleCare. I believe you can still get away with adding AppleCare as long as it's before the year is up. I've even convinced Apple to add AppleCare to a 2010 Mac Pro which was actually 5 months expired at the time lol.

Thanks for the quick and succinct response, tylers67. Exactly the answer that I was looking for!

Thank you!

Reactions: tylers67

brand

Suspended
Oct 3, 2006
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

It was the first link when I searched for it on Google.

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac

Yes you are getting everything as if you were buying AppleCare.

According to the above link that is not the case. Without purchasing AppleCare you only get 90 days of phone support.

BezHermoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
It was the first link when I searched for it on Google.

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac

According to the above link that is not the case. Without purchasing AppleCare you only get 90 days of phone support.

Hi Brand, thanks for pointing that out. Coincidentally I don't really mind not getting any phone support. I'm more concerned about hardware issues I might encounter within the next several months before I purchase AppleCare.

To my understanding, and as confirmed by you guys, is that AppleCare is simply an extension for the bundle warranty for another 2 years (+ phone support).

A follow-up question for everyone if I may:

Can I purchase AppleCare online if I do so ~1-3 months before my one-year warranty expires? Or is it something that would require me to go to a Store and bring my Macbook with me?

brand

Suspended
Oct 3, 2006
Since AppleCare does not cover user negligence Apple does not require inspection. That means you can purchase it over the phone or online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.