Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I have an iPhone 6 that I received the day they came out two years ago. A few months back, the battery started going nuts. It would drop from 45% to 5% in an instant. Then would jump to 37% as soon as I plugged it in and then to 80%. Any video would instantly kill the battery even from a 90% charge.

Took the phone to the nearby Apple Store and it passed their battery test at 90%. Told me to do a clean install which I did. Battery life continued to be a problem. Tried every trick to decrease use and finally gave up and walked into the store again. Clincher was when I went from full charge to 37% in 2 hours only sending texts and checking email.

Another battery test - this time 88%. I said I wanted to replace the battery (I never got AppleCare). The sales person told me should would have to clear it with her manager. I asked "I'm paying $79 for this...right?" to which she replied "Yes, but I still need the manager to approve any battery swap with over 80%".

Battery swapped, paid $79. Did not do anything else to iPhone (still on iOS 9). Battery life is perfect again. Slow decrease during the day (went from 100-87% with text/email/few apps between 9-5pm today).

Moral of the story: the battery test in store is a joke and I no longer feel confident getting Apple Care to protect the battery since they only swap at 80% (which is an improvement from old 50% policy).

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
Yeah I had pretty much the same experience and it has left me thinking that the Genius Bar is full of ****. My battery obviously does not work right and reinstalling a fresh iOS per their instructions did nothing.

Why pay for AppleCare+ when Apple's own diagnostic software doesn't work.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
Did they do the battery replacement right there in store? My Iphone 6 battery life has gotten really bad where I get just over 5 hour usage out of it that is mainly safari and texts. No games no videos and maybe one or two short phone calls. My wife gets much better battery life. Did the clean install of ios 10 and nothing has changed. Contemplating having my battery replaced.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
I had a similar issue. Genius left a note in my file if it got worse then they would replace it. Haven't gone in 2 months because I've been really busy.

Will be making an appointment soon for my 6S and get it changed before I sell it.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
This was happening to my friends 6. It would be at 30% and dramatically drop to 1% and ask him to plug the phone in when he did itd jump back up to 30.

We went to the Apple Store yesterday and they ran their diagnostics and it passed but the girl said she would replace his phone since he had Apple care. She walks out with a brand new iPhone 6. We both thought that was pretty awesome of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.