Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcr1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
Hi, Had Apple TV for less than a month. Has worked fine in setup hooked in to receiver then to TV. last night in middle of streaming a Plex movie the receiver turns off. After a lot of troubleshooting start testing each component. Roku works fine, cable box works fine, DVD works fine, switched up HDMI inputs. Tried different HDMI cables, but every time I plug in Apple TV the receiver shorts. Called Apple Support, idot squad was on duty and after explaining above he asks if there are other devices plugged in, and 'sounds like the rest of your system has a problem'. I said thanks and hung up. What else can I do to troubleshoot this? Somewhere last night I found a web page that claimed people had returned Apple TVs with faulty HDMI output, but I cannot find that to show the Apple store this morning. Any ideas, suggestions on additional troubleshooting?

If I was not clear, it worked fine for some time. Then stopped working with no changes in the system.

Thanks,

Rob

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I think if you search on any product with HDMI, at some point someone claims to have returned something due to faulty HDMI output. Denon is known to have HDMI issues and it's sounds like you're experiencing one of them -- the only way to know for sure would be to plug another HDMI-equipped receiver into the setup and see if it does the same thing.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi, Had Apple TV for less than a month. Has worked fine in setup hooked in to receiver then to TV. last night in middle of streaming a Plex movie the receiver turns off. After a lot of troubleshooting start testing each component. Roku works fine, cable box works fine, DVD works fine, switched up HDMI inputs. Tried different HDMI cables, but every time I plug in Apple TV the receiver shorts. Called Apple Support, idot squad was on duty and after explaining above he asks if there are other devices plugged in, and 'sounds like the rest of your system has a problem'. I said thanks and hung up. What else can I do to troubleshoot this? Somewhere last night I found a web page that claimed people had returned Apple TVs with faulty HDMI output, but I cannot find that to show the Apple store this morning. Any ideas, suggestions on additional troubleshooting?

If I was not clear, it worked fine for some time. Then stopped working with no changes in the system.

Thanks,

Rob

Get yourself a modern new slim 18Gbs HDMI cable.

brew99

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Sounds to me like you did quite a bit of troubleshooting. Help me understand though. Did you completely remove all other devices attached to the Denon, then try the ATV? How about one of you other devices in place of the ATV (use same cable)? Other than that, it is possible the ATV just "gave up the ghost" and I'm sure that the Apple store would have something they can test it on for you.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Easy way to test for faulty HDMI output is to connect it directly to the TV or a monitor.

This will eliminate the Denon and all other attached HDMI devices from the list of troubleshooting problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.