Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I once made the mistake of updating to iOS 11 on my iPhone 5s and I suffered a lot because of that. The iOS 11 made the 5s as whole very very slow to the point where day to day tasks with the phone became irritating. iOS 12 however made things a little bit better, although it was nothing compared to how fast the phone was in the early days on iOS 9 or 10.

My question to the community is; I now use an iPhone 7 on iOS 12.1(where I have TV beta profile installed, so no future iOS updates) and should I stop updating apps as well?

I understand why newer OS with features full of new technologies get slower on older hardware and I probably will buy new phone in a year or two anyways; so not worrying about that too much. But specifically from perspective of speed ("snappiness") should someone update Apps on regular basis?

I got roughly 70 apps and every week at least 5-7 of them with updates. I can prevent the phone itself getting slow as an operating system by not updating the iOS. But will updating apps on a regular basis make the app themselves any slower?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I once made the mistake of updating to iOS 11 on my iPhone 5s and I suffered a lot because of that. The iOS 11 made the 5s as whole very very slow to the point where day to day tasks with the phone became irritating. iOS 12 however made things a little bit better, although it was nothing compared to how fast the phone was in the early days on iOS 9 or 10.

My question to the community is; I now use an iPhone 7 on iOS 12.1(where I have TV beta profile installed, so no future iOS updates) and should I stop updating apps as well?

I understand why newer OS with features full of new technologies get slower on older hardware and I probably will buy new phone in a year or two anyways; so not worrying about that too much. But specifically from perspective of speed ("snappiness") should someone update Apps on regular basis?

I got roughly 70 apps and every week at least 5-7 of them with updates. I can prevent the phone itself getting slow as an operating system by not updating the iOS. But will updating apps on a regular basis make the app themselves any slower?

It’s hard to say.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Try geekbench. Some apps may not be optimal for your phone; however, imo, you should update to current ios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.